Thread: East of Eden 50th Anniversary & Hossam Ramzy in Ehoes Podcast

East of Eden 50th Anniversary & Hossam Ramzy in Ehoes Podcast

Did King Crimson rip them off? In the Echoes Podcast a Flashback 50 to East of Eden's Mercator Projected, a hidden landmark of Progressive Rock, and we remember Hossam Ramzy https://wp.me/p4ZE0X-gzl

East of Eden's Mercator Projected is still one of my all time favourites - I'd say top 10

Quote Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
    Did King Crimson rip them off?
    There's most definitely an obvious flair of "Centaur Woman" in "21st. Century Schizoid Man" - yeah.

I always liked Mercator Projected; one of the great UK "post-psych" vintage progressive records, sporting some marvellous playing and ditto tunes. File next to Mighty Baby's debut and Skin Alley's first as well. All good - and all 1969 and pre-ItCotCK.

Interestingly, Dave Arbus authored more than one polemic against what he (and the editorial of MMaker) felt was a display of arrogance on the part of the up-and-coming Bob Fripp & his lot. About the same time as members of The Deviants conducted their sitdown protest (on stage) against KC's performance at the Marquee, if I'm not entirely mistaken.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    There's most definitely an obvious flair of "Centaur Woman" in "21st. Century Schizoid Man" - yeah.
    I see the connection, but I don't suspect any direct copying. But who knows. There's a Sabbath song in the debut called NIB which is also quite similar in places (the bass tuning is the same).

And what about the Deviants thing, can you elaborate? I've never heard about that.

East of Eden is a very fine band, ahead of its time in a lot of ways. I love their eclecticism, and the "light" atmosphere that permeates their music and which probably belongs more to a French band than a British one. (I don't know if that makes sense)

But the real question is why the hell they never received the attention they deserve.

Maybe if they had Ozzy...

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    And what about the Deviants thing, can you elaborate? I've never heard about that.
    KC basically went from support-status to headliner at the Marquee overnight after their Hyde Park-appearance, prompting loads of attention in the UK music press of the day. In one interview with Fripp, he uttered something to the effect that Hendrix was "[…] a terrible guitarist", although as it turned out this quote was taken completely out of context (as Fripp himself later would exhon Jimi's status). The Deviants, proto-punks as they were, adhered to rock'n'roll as a music of "the people, worker and everyman" and consequently deemed the craft of KC "formalist" or "elitist" (etc.). I particularly remember a facsimile of a Paul Rudolph saying (from when he was later in the Pink Fairies) where he referred to that event as an act of agit-prop. He apparently apologized for the incident to Flipp in time, though. Assumingly when no one could hear him, so as not to diminish a rep of rebellion.

I myself enjoy both The Deviants, East of Eden and Cim Klingsom. But I only own one wornout Fairies album nowadays, and it was soiled on purchase. I got it for 2.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I dig me some Hossam Ramzy. Egyptian Rai is one of my favorite albums.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    KC basically went from support-status to headliner at the Marquee overnight after their Hyde Park-appearance, prompting loads of attention in the UK music press of the day. In one interview with Fripp, he uttered something to the effect that Hendrix was "[] a terrible guitarist", although as it turned out this quote was taken completely out of context (as Fripp himself later would exhon Jimi's status). The Deviants, proto-punks as they were, adhered to rock'n'roll as a music of "the people, worker and everyman" and consequently deemed the craft of KC "formalist" or "elitist" (etc.). I particularly remember a facsimile of a Paul Rudolph saying (from when he was later in the Pink Fairies) where he referred to that event as an act of agit-prop. He apparently apologized for the incident to Flipp in time, though. Assumingly when no one could hear him, so as not to diminish a rep of rebellion.

I myself enjoy both The Deviants, East of Eden and Cim Klingsom. But I only own one wornout Fairies album nowadays, and it was soiled on purchase. I got it for 2.
    I dig me some Pink Fairies...

Listening to Snafu right now and there's some pretty advanced shit in there (also some Brown Shoes Don't Make It lifting). If I could think of a kin band I would say early Gong, but these guys came before them, no?

Also the Eastern influences are more prominent in Snafu. I was wondering if any of the members had Jewish background, I am quite ignorant on the subject of Jewish music but there seems to be a connection there. If I am not talking nonsense for the umpteenth time.

^Dave Arbus was Jewish, I believe - although I seriously doubt if it had that much of an impact on the outcome other than the benefit of his musical upbringing in general. Some of these kosher cats in British 70s rock - the Shulmans (GGiant), the Goldrings (Gnidrolog) and the guys in 10CC - exhibited an amazingly eclectic sense of expression, though.

Those were the days.