Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Peter Gabriel - Flotsam and Jetsam - B-sides and Rarities (digital release - UK only)

Quote Originally Posted by Halmyre View Post
    I can understand that he or his label realises that physical sales would be limited, but that's no excuse for not putting up FLACs at least.
    FLACs are available from Qobuz, at least. That's were I got mine.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I guess this is rather obvious but I wish there was a CD release. I'm old school.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

With Rated PG earlier in the year and now this, could this be a way to recreate some hype around Peter, with possibly some new music coming up later on, rather than a cynical move to raise funds as some have suggested?

Otherwise, I'll probably get flamed for this, but even though this kind of release is great for completists, I don't think there's anything really outstanding in this collection. I'm probably not enough of a die hard fan...

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I managed to find a free download. To be honest, this isn't a release I'd pay to own. Although if Spotify has it, then I actually HAVE already paid for it.
    Last edited by JKL2000; 09-16-2019 at 12:00 PM.

My comment about Peter doing it because he needs funding was written with a less serious intent, and does not represent my true feelings.
    I've been a Peter fan since the Genesis days, saw him with Genesis for the SEBTP tour and later The Lamb performed live in Detroit. My wife and I have been to about 90% of his shows including his first solo tour.

My wife and I have always loved buying his DVD's of his shows, but we didn't care for the Front to Back concert. It wasn't long afterwards, I came across his concert on YouTube, Live at Woodstock 40 and thought it was great.
    I get the sense he's burned out or maybe just tired of touring, but his creative output and behavior just doesn't seem like the Peter I remember and loved.
    Again, it's just my view from atop Solisbury Hill.
    Last edited by Top Cat; 09-16-2019 at 12:22 PM.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I'm not expecting any more real albums from him. I think the last real one was Up which was 17 years ago. Everything since then has been patchy and/or not terribly interesting, IMO. All this is fine though, he's had a good career, and I got to see him on a few good tours in the 80s.

Quote Originally Posted by LeFrog View Post
    With Rated PG earlier in the year and now this, could this be a way to recreate some hype around Peter, with possibly some new music coming up later on, rather than a cynical move to raise funds as some have suggested?

Otherwise, I'll probably get flamed for this, but even though this kind of release is great for completists, I don't think there's anything really outstanding in this collection. I'm probably not enough of a die hard fan...
    Releases like this are a way for tired old rockers to dawdle in their retirement and still siphon some moola from the diehards. Endless repackagings, endless remasterings, endless 'greatest hits' rearrangements of the same tired old songs, with the occasional live recordings or 'B'-sides to attract. There must be enough completist collectors to make the effort profitable because so many artists do it.

At 69, this game doesn’t seem to interest him much anymore. Most of our 70’s heroes are either going thru the archives, doing an oldies tour, retired or dead. Loved Live Blood, I thought I’d was a great way to present the old favs. Rated PG I thought was a clever title and artwork but nothing really essential. I mainly got it for the single from Wall-E. This last release doesn’t thrill me much but it will keep Peter’s completionist fans happy with his name out there in semi retirement. He’s earned it.
    Last edited by Tangram; 09-17-2019 at 01:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tangram View Post
    He’s earned it.
    I agree with pretty much all of your points, but this one especially.

I was angry at first since it was CD or nothing for me, but now that I look closely at the tracklisting, there's only a couple of tracks I really want and don't have...

At least he hasn't gone back and re-recorded the vocals. Probably.

That's next year.

Did you hear those live Lamb recordings? I don't blame him for wanting to re-record those vocals.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Did you hear those live Lamb recordings? I don't blame him for wanting to re-record those vocals.
    Please don't open the can of worms!

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I guess this is rather obvious but I wish there was a CD release. I'm old school.
    I’m with you!!! That’s all I buy.....
    So much music....so little time....