Thread: RIP Eddie Money

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar

RIP Eddie Money

Eddie Money died today, Sept 13, of cancer at age 70. Rest in peace.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/eddi...160100086.html

He was a hard-partying rocker by his own admission, but he never tried to hide that fact, and he also didn't try to hide his cancer diagnosis. So sad that he has now left us. I really enjoyed a lot of his music. I used to play guitar in a cover band that did several of his songs.

RIP Eddie - we know you're going to Paradise because you've always held two tickets
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I never had any of his album, but I always liked I Think I'm In Love and Shakin'. And I like how he had Ronnie Spector reprise the Be My Baby chorus in Take Me Home Tonight.

Prog/fusion relevance: former Zappa bassist Arthur Barrow, former Jean Luc Ponty bassist Randy Jackson, and future King Crimson drummer Pat Masteletto all played on his album Can't Hold Back (the one that had Take Me Home Tonight on it).
    Last edited by GuitarGeek; 09-13-2019 at 12:39 PM.

I can't find it right now, but there was an hilarious clip from some sitcom a few years ago where Eddie was performing "Two Tickets to Paradise" in a nightclub as "Eddie Cash" or "Eddie Dollar" or "Freddie Money" something because his manager still owned the "Eddie Money" name.

What???? so sad to hear this.
    I never attended his shows, but whenever his songs would come on the radio, you instantly knew who it was and the songs were perfect "car" and "party" songs.
    When we lived in Michigan, a premiere outdoor concert venue called Pine Knob had a tradition, and it was Eddie Money was always the opening act of the season every year.

May you rest in peace, thank you for sharing your music, and please hand me a cold beer.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

He always gave you your money’s worth. RIP Eddie you will be missed.

Sad news.
    I have no albums from Eddie, but for my Kevin Gilbert-collection I should have had Nothing To Lose, because Gilbert is playing keyboards and did some backing vocals on that one.

That's a shocker to me. Sad to read this, he was too young.

RIP.

I revisited this official video of his that featured Kevin Gilbert.

Odd how Kevin would go on to look a lot like Eddie, not too long after. Hairstyle namely.

Also my wife and I's 1st date we saw the movie "Take Me Home Tonight" which I used Eddie's tune of that name in the trailer.

he got his ticket to paradise...... RIP.

Guilty pleasure or not, I've been watching the Money family show "Real Money" on AXS TV and have gotten to know his wife and kids a little (3 of his kids were in his current band). I just watched the episode where he reveals his diagnosis last night. It will be both interesting and sad to see how they wrap the show up.

My heart goes out to all of them, especially his wife of 30 years Laurie, who I've come to really like a lot.

RIP Officer Mahoney, you could rock!
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by mnprogger View Post
    RIP.

I revisited this official video of his that featured Kevin Gilbert.

Odd how Kevin would go on to look a lot like Eddie, not too long after. Hairstyle namely.

Thanks. And yes, that hairstyle came back on Kevin's head some years later. I guess he was 21 when this vid was shot.

Sad. I grew up as he was becoming popular. I owned most of his early albums and have a few on CD.

Sad news. I liked some of his music, especially early on. There was a lawsuit from his drummer alleging Eddie made fun of his disability due to
    bladder cancer and hit on his fiancee repeatedly. https://www.stereogum.com/1880228/dr...rst-boss/news/

The eons are closing
    RIP Eddie.
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

I was never a huge fan, but some of his songs were the soundtrack of some of my younger life. I caught quite a few episodes of his recent reality show on AXS TV and he seemed like a really cool guy with a great family (who formed the majority of his touring band). The last episode of the season he was going to the doctor about some stomach issues he was having, so this is sad news.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Eddie kept the rock in his pop songs, unlike many modern day pop artists. And he had a commanding and instantly-recognizable singing voice. When his songs came on the radio, you might have groaned, "They're playing Eddie Money again," but you wouldn't change the station. What band wouldn't want such a great lead voice? And his songs were great. An all-around talent that passes our way far too seldom. Rest in peace. Your music will be our lasting memory of you.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

I was never a big fan but whenever Eddie's songs came on the radio I always turned it up instead of turning it off. And they stood the test of time. Two Tickets and Take Me Home sound as good today as 30/40 years ago. RIP.

Eddie had a guest spot once on the TV sitcom King of Queens, where the star of the show Kevin James, an Eddie Money superfan, came up with the story for the Season 4 episode titled “Eddie Money.” The storyline featured James’ character being forced to spend $5,000 in gambling winnings in one day and using the last of the cash for a mini Eddie Money concert in his living room. Watching Jerry Stiller with his line "Who is this man?" still cracks me up everytime.

When I was stationed in the Bay Area in the late 80s, Eddie suffered the same fate that would later befall Hootie and the Blowfish. His song If I Could Walk on Water was played to death on local radio. Eddie deserved better, and deserves more credit as a musician after his death. RIP.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

the ever reliable NEW YORKER has this excellent and only very slightly snarky up as a tribute based on his best known song. i am somewhat removed culturally from white american heartland rock but eddie‘s songs have always put a smile on my face. one good guy less walking this earth. RiP.

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/po...ch-pop-history

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    When his songs came on the radio, you might have groaned, "They're playing Eddie Money again," but you wouldn't change the station.
    Same - I (usually) wouldn't change the station if an Eddie Money song came on. Sometime in the early 90s a friend asked if I wanted to go hear a concert by him and said no. Then my friend said it was free in our small city. I replied: "Here? I thought he was famous." So I went and had a lot of fun down at the riverfest featuring Money.