Thread: Gregg Allman - Laid Back Deluxe Edition

Gregg Allman - Laid Back Deluxe Edition

My favorite album of Gregg's released in a 2 cd set with unreleased songs. I'm always leery of buying things over again. Has anyone bought this and is it worth it? Also the soundboards of The Allman Brothers at the Filmore West have been released. Any thoughts?

Rick

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Count me as highly interested!
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Haven't seen it, but if his road band at the time, Cowboy, is involved, I'm interested.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Definitely his best solo album IMO. I would be interested in checking this out.

Saw The Allman Brothers many times, including the Gregg Allman tour of 74. Just bought a ticket yesterday for the Allman Family Revival, with
    The Allman Betts Band and lots of guests, at The Fillmore in SF. Plus, I have my own Allman Bros. tribute band, Idlewild West. https://idlewildwest.band/index.html

Lucky you.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Lucky you.
    Thanks so much! Plus, tomorrow is our first Cream tribute band rehearsal! Jack!!!

Quote Originally Posted by rapidfirerob View Post
    Saw The Allman Brothers many times, including the Gregg Allman tour of 74. Just bought a ticket yesterday for the Allman Family Revival, with
    The Allman Betts Band and lots of guests, at The Fillmore in SF. Plus, I have my own Allman Bros. tribute band, Idlewild West. https://idlewildwest.band/index.html
    I wish I could have seen his '74 tour. I'm envious. At least we have a recording from it. I would hope a new cd would come out of that tour with bonus material live. Good luck with the Cream set.

Rick

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    I wish I could have seen his '74 tour. I'm envious. At least we have a recording from it. I would hope a new cd would come out of that tour with bonus material live. Good luck with the Cream set.

Rick

Rick
    Thanks Rick! First rehearsal went very well, happy to say. Should be fun playing this music. Jack!

I have no idea what this is like - Jazz Interpretation of the Allman Brothers:

https://store.newwestrecords.com/pro...eid=fb416d95b8

I’m a big fan of process, so love albums with outtakes, alternate mixes etc. Love Allman’s first solo record (though his last two studio records were also amazing), so this was an auto-buy and I’m glad I have it. A lot of terrific stuff in there!

It’s especially great in 24/192 high res, btw, though they only sell the original album remastered. If you want all the extras you’ve gotta buy the 2cd set.
    John Kelman
    Senior Contributor, All About Jazz since 2004
    Freelance writer/photographer

Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post
    I’m a big fan of process, so love albums with outtakes, alternate mixes etc. Love Allman’s first solo record (though his last two studio records were also amazing), so this was an auto-buy and I’m glad I have it. A lot of terrific stuff in there!

It’s especially great in 24/192 high res, btw, though they only sell the original album remastered. If you want all the extras you’ve gotta buy the 2cd set.
    Thanks. I’m going to probably get it because I’m a sucker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have no idea what this is like - Jazz Interpretation of the Allman Brothers:

https://store.newwestrecords.com/pro...eid=fb416d95b8
    Wow! Thanks a lot! Pre ordered. Jack Pearson!

Got this yesterday. Yeah I’m a bit late to the party. The alternative take of Don’t Mess a Good Thing is very interesting. I actually like it better than the version that made the record. It has more of an r&b style in it. Really enjoying this release.

The Band Of Brothers jazz interpretation of ABB songs shipped yesterday! Very excited to hear it. Jack Pearson!!!!

The Band Of Brothers jazz interpretation of ABB songs shipped yesterday! Very excited to hear it. Jack Pearson!!!!
    Give us a review then. I’m interested in this also.

Yep, I got an email message saying the same! Looking forward to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    Give us a review then. I’m interested in this also.
    Once myself and others get it, we surely will. How can it be bad? Jack Pearson is on it! Jack!

Once myself and others get it, we surely will. How can it be bad? Jack Pearson is on it! Jack!
    Jack knows the music first hand. I find the song selection interesting for sure. Many blues songs which I’d like to hear how they interpret them as jazz.

I'm listening to my new copy of Big Band Of Brothers: A Jazz Celebration of the ABB. Excllent to hear the horns and sax mixed with classic ABB tunes. Nice instrumentation across the range of instruments. Really nice, enjoyable listen that I think ABB could enjoy.

I'm listening to my new copy of Big Band Of Brothers: A Jazz Celebration of the ABB. Excllent to hear the horns and sax mixed with classic ABB tunes. Nice instrumentation across the range of instruments. Really nice, enjoyable listen that I think ABB could enjoy.
    I really like it. Good interpretations of the material. Nice arrangements. Too bad Jack is only on one cut, playing slide. The few vocals on there are excellent as well.