Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: R.I.P. Ric Ocasek (The Cars)

R.I.P. Ric Ocasek (The Cars)

Wow! Didnt see this one coming

Ric Ocasek, the lead singer of iconic new-wave rock band The Cars, was found dead in his Manhattan apartment on Sunday, law enforcement sources told The Post. He was 75 years old.

Ocasek was discovered unconscious and unresponsive at around 4:14 p.m. inside his Gramercy Park pad by his estranged wife, Paulina Porizkova, sources said.

He appeared to have died from natural causes, sources added.

https://pagesix.com/2019/09/15/the-c...tan-townhouse/
    Last edited by Dan Roth; 09-15-2019 at 08:32 PM.

The Cars were one of the few pop bands I liked. Ric was a very talented songwriter. RIP.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    This is really sad - shocking really. RIP
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Very sad - a truly nice guy. Elsewhere on this board I talked about the time I met him and his then fiancee on the line at US Immigration Dept. (We were standing next to each other due to our last names being close alphabetically waiting for our Green cards and I just happen to speak a bit of Czech). He was very cool and not 'rock star' like at all. He was also really fucking tall.

Ember
    It is sobering to think about the number of prominent musicians who are now hitting that "average life expectancy" benchmark, if not exceeding it. So many of my musical heroes are my age (68) or older that, rather than not seeing these things coming, I see them coming in a continuous stream tat I will eventually plunge into myself.

I liked The Cars, and even covered a couple of their songs in one or two of my 80s bands. Particularly sad for loved ones if this was completely unexpected. I hope Ric was content with his life.

WoW!
    Same feelings here ... didn’t see that coming too, but, as the final sentences of the (good) article sum up:

“It was all a lie, but it was a beautiful one. The rock stars' days are numbered. They are going to die, as will we all. No one gets out alive. When we mourn the passing of the legends and the tragic greatness of what they've left behind for us to enjoy in the time we have left, we will also be mourning for ourselves.”

RIP!

————————————

nw:
    The Cars - Unlocked - Live performances (1978-1987)
    https://youtu.be/xLwURXFdljQ

————————————-

From the article too:
    “Behold the killing fields that lie before us: Bob Dylan (78 years old); Paul McCartney (77); Paul Simon (77) and Art Garfunkel (77); Carole King (77); Brian Wilson (77); Mick Jagger (76) and Keith Richards (75); Joni Mitchell (75); Jimmy Page (75) and Robert Plant (71); Ray Davies (75); Roger Daltrey (75) and Pete Townshend (74); Roger Waters (75) and David Gilmour (73); Rod Stewart (74); Eric Clapton (74); Debbie Harry (74); Neil Young (73); Van Morrison (73); Bryan Ferry (73); Elton John (72); Don Henley (72); James Taylor (71); Jackson Browne (70); Billy Joel (70); and Bruce Springsteen (69, but turning 70 next month).”

ps.
    In other words:
    “Sad but True” — *The Show must go on!! ... ready Freddie!!*

Best,
    Tomαs.
    Last edited by TCC; 09-15-2019 at 11:02 PM.

A real shock. I didn't know that he was that much older than me, though.

Jon Neudorf
    Very sad and shocking.

Wow, Paulina Porizkova? Way to go Ric!

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    This news is indeed shocking. Always liked the Cars. Rest in peace.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Sad news, never like it when our rock heroes pass...
    Last edited by Mythos; 09-17-2019 at 12:27 AM.

Sad news indeed. He was older than I thought he was and older than he was according to one of my books on music. He had the age of the people that gained fame in the sixties, but he is more from the eigthies to me.

Number me among those who were unaware of Ocasek's age (never would have guessed he was older than Robert Plant!). When I was a youth in the 70s and had one foot planted firmly in hard rock and the other in prog, there were some "pop" acts that grabbed my attention for being interesting and different than anyone else on the airwaves. The Cars were one such band (the Police, Talking Heads and Joe Jackson were among the others). Between Ocasek and Orr, the hooks were strong and plentiful, and as much a part of my musical landscape of the late 70s/early 80s as anything else out there. Both sadly gone now, but musical legacy secure. RIP
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

Heartbeat City was on the B side of my 90125 cassette in high school.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    He was 75 years old
    The New York Times reported that other sources say he was 70.
    He was also really fucking tall.
    Ocaseck was 6 foot 4. I recently listened to a podcast with anti-aging scientist David Sinclair mentioned that people extra tall (over 6 foot 3) have to be more careful as they age about diet and exercise, related to heart function.

So many of my musical heroes are my age (68) or older that, rather than not seeing these things coming, I see them coming in a continuous stream tat I will eventually plunge into myself.
    Plunge they will but no longer in a continuous stream as the health pills really are coming in a few years. Check out Sinclair on Joe Rogan's show. He said on another podcast that the first supplements out can increase healthy life span by 3 to 4 years and more potent pharmaceutical versions will add 10 years, starting around 2024. And that is before the more speculative ways of age reversing are fine tuned.

I was stunned to hear the news about Ric on the radio this morning getting ready for work. The Cars were the first local Boston band I saw after moving up here in 1976. I found them odd but rather listenable. I didn't understand "punk" then even though they were more pop-oriented than some of the other local outfits. They opened for Rick Derringer in a little (then) club, the Paradise, and hadn't yet signed with a record company. All my rock and roll heroes are heading for the last round-up.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

I'll say the same thing I said about Eddie Money a day or two ago. I was never a big fan but when Cars' songs came on the radio I always turned them up, not off.
    RIP

I like The Cars a lot but I will always love Ric for producing Guided By Voices' classic LP, Do The Collapse.
    The Prog Corner

RIP to a great songwriter, producer, visionary. I've been playing Cars all morning.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

The best-ever cue for a Cars song (and my 2nd fave song of theirs). RIP Ric.

Such a shame.

From NPR:

There is some confusion about Ocasek's age: The NYPD said that he was 75; public records list his age as 70 years old.

On Monday, the New York City Office of Chief Medical Examiner told NPR in a statement that Ocasek died of heart disease, specifically hypertensive and atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease, with pulmonary emphysema as a contributing condition. (OCME also lists the singer's age as 75.)

RIP.... 2 music legends in 2 days.