Thread: Fred Pallem & Le Sacre du tympan

Fred Pallem & Le Sacre du tympan

Took a chance on this at my library system, and I found a gold vein to dig in aurally.

https://rateyourmusic.com/artist/le_sacre_du_tympan

https://fredpallemlesacredutympan.ba...album/lodyssee

gooood stuuuuuffff

I had (small) splashes of the Toubifri orchestra that played at Carmaux's RIO Fest a few years ago, but it's also quite different.

Fred Pallem (bass),
    Vincent Taeger (drums),
    Ludovic Bruni (guitar),
    Vincent Taurelle (keyboards),
    Sylvain Lemetre (percussion),
    Aude Challeat (flute),
    Rémi Sciuto (saxophone, flute),
    Fred Gastard (saxophone),
    Matthieu Donarier (saxophone, clarinet),
    Alban Darche (alto saxophone),
    Renald Vilotteau (tuba),
    Pascal Benech (trombone),
    Daniel Zimmermann (trombone),
    Julien Chirol (trombone),
    Fabrice Martinez (trumpet),
    Yann Martin (trumpet),
    Guillaume Dutrieux (trumpet)

the play on words about "sacre du pintemps" (Stravinsky) and sacre du tympan (eardrum) is apt.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I like it Hugues. Ca me plait - no accents this keyboard.

Cool. What I've heard so far of L'ODYSSEE sounds like Ennio Morricone scoring a dark, violent American police+crime drama from the Seventies and trying to sound like Quincy Jones. And, while he didn't quite achieve exactly that, he did manage to create something at least as good. Or, alternately, like the American remake of a European film originally with a Morricone score, in which Jones was employed to adapt, arrange, conduct, and re-record that score with an orchestra of Hollywood sessionmen and LA jazzers.

And, to my ears, Fred Pallem seems to be one of the few people embarking upon a Morricone pastiche/tribute who truly understands Morricone's harmonic vocabulary, and can really sound like him. Many copy the sounds, which isn't too hard. But few have the musical sophistication to properly emulate the Maestro, and Fred, I think, does. One factor that must help: He's a bonafide film-music nut, who has also released quite a few cover albums of movie themes; so having to analyse, pull apart, and reassemble that material for his own bands must have given him quite a lot of insight about how the musical nuts and bolts of it go together and work.

EDIT: A bit more info on Fred & Co.: http://www.lesacre.com/
    Last edited by Baribrotzer; 5 Days Ago at 10:57 PM.

Great musician
    Pallem works mainly as an arranger for French pop stars but with his own big band Le Sacre du Tympan he plays the stuff he likes. I saw him a couple of times in concert. He has a lot of humour too and he is obviously a big fan of Morricone and also of Francois de Roubaix. He released a record dedicated to Roubaix's music
    Dieter Moebius : "Art people like things they don’t understand!"