Thread: Progcitations

Progcitations

The tidal wave of remasters with or without unreleased demos/concerts/studio run throughs etc is getting bigger then ever and piling up higher and higher... Anyway what I often prefer while listening in the background to the Steven Wilson remix of a studio run through of 'Tales From Larks Tongues On Broadway' is reading the stories of the band member and occasionally the studio engineers assistant or his mother ...
    So some of the stuff is quite funny and I said to myself why not bring out some quotes and make you guess. ..and maybe you can do the same

Easy one for a start :

"As time went on, prog became a bit of a joke , really," he shrugs " Perhaps the archetypal prog rock bands were the spaghetti noodlers like Yes and EL&P , who could take a good idea and make it last for days! And of course, very admirably often in a musical context, but you had to work pretty hard to go through it. "
    Dieter Moebius : "Art people like things they don’t understand!"

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by alucard View Post
    The tidal wave of remasters with or without unreleased demos/concerts/studio run throughs etc is getting bigger then ever and piling up higher and higher... Anyway what I often prefer while listening in the background to the Steven Wilson remix of a studio run through of 'Tales From Larks Tongues On Broadway' is reading the stories of the band member and occasionally the studio engineers assistant or his mother ...
    So some of the stuff is quite funny and I said to myself why not bring out some quotes and make you guess. ..and maybe you can do the same

Easy one for a start :

"As time went on, prog became a bit of a joke , really," he shrugs " Perhaps the archetypal prog rock bands were the spaghetti noodlers like Yes and EL&P , who could take a good idea and make it last for days! And of course, very admirably often in a musical context, but you had to work pretty hard to go through it. "
    Ian Anderson?

Yes,
    Ian Anderson in the liner notes to the 40th anniversary Aqualung edition.

More difficult :
    "When I was seven years old and I heard the last movement of Beethovens 9th symphony on a 78 record, it made my hair stand on end and gave me goose bumps. That was the first indication of what music could do to someone- namely myself. It was a message to my heart and soul more than anything - just the fact that if music could have this kind of effect on me, it could have an effect on anybody."

Quote Originally Posted by alucard View Post
    More difficult :
    "When I was seven years old and I heard the last movement of Beethovens 9th symphony on a 78 record, it made my hair stand on end and gave me goose bumps. That was the first indication of what music could do to someone- namely myself. It was a message to my heart and soul more than anything - just the fact that if music could have this kind of effect on me, it could have an effect on anybody."
    Yeah, tougher. Edgar Froese?

Nope,
    they played the same instrument so.

Klaus Schulze?

Froese played not only keyboard,
    but the musician in question started with piano when he eas a kid.

Eddie Jobson?

It's a guitar player , his mother was a violonist , hence his early contact with classical music

Fripp!

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Fripp!
    Nope,
    He is 4 years older then Fripp

John McLaughlin?

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    John McLaughlin?
    Yes,
    It's from an interview with Julie Corryell end of the 70s

^^Well, I found it through your hints: "guitarist" 1942 (Fripp's year of birth minus 4) "mother" "violin".
    (First hit was Ponty b.t.w...)

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    ^^Well, I found it through your hints: "guitarist" 1942 (Fripp's year of birth minus 4) "mother" "violin".
    (First hit was Ponty b.t.w...)
    Good deduction :-)

New easy one :
    "I think the music of the 50s is really good. I suspect it's much better musically than much of what's available now. Not in terms of production but in terms of content. One good believable song about some guy's girlfriend and how they broke up - a sincere one - is better than twenty albums of English rock that's ever been produced."