Thread: Kansas live concert video (early 80s?)

Kansas live concert video (early 80s?)

I recall watching a Kansas live concert on late night TV maybe back in the early 80s. It featured the "classic" lineup.

I've been trying to find it to no avail. Does anyone recall this concert? Any ideas how I can track down a copy?

Thanks in advance,

Jim

Thanks for responding. It was around the time of the old Don Kirshner concerts, so it very well may have been. For some reason it seemed to be later (post-Leftoverture) though.

That Don Kirscher concert is on Sail On: The 30th Anniversary Collection.

Quote Originally Posted by jrdotcom View Post
    Thanks for responding. It was around the time of the old Don Kirshner concerts, so it very well may have been. For some reason it seemed to be later (post-Leftoverture) though.
    Apart from the Kirshner stuff there ain't much which could have been aired on TV. Only the '82 Show (Vinyl Confessions Tour)
    which was with Elefante instead of Walsh.

Maybe About two Songs from the Canada Jam, don't know if those where ever on TV.

There was a Audio Visions Tour filmed, but that wasn't legit.

To echo The H's comments above... I'm guessing here but this one from 1980 is really the only whole show that is floating around, though I don't think it was ever released officially.

California Jam might be a possibility too, though I can't seem to find the whole thing on YT.

And while it's not quite the original lineup, this vid of the 1982 is probably the best shot and recorded of them all, if you can hang with Greg Elefante Brady on vocs instead of Walsh. He's technically a better singer, so...

Other than that, I have never seen any footage from the LO, POKR or Monolith tours. Sort of amazing they never filmed a whole show of any of those. Before LO it's all Kirshner footage, that's it.
    Last edited by Sean; 1 Week Ago at 10:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post

Other than that, I have never seen any footage from the LO, POKR or Monolith tours. Sort of amazing they never filmed a whole show of any of those. Before LO it's all Kirshner footage, that's it.
    It is really too bad that Kansas never filmed any of those tours, especially "Monolith" when they toured with a huge production. It was the band at the top of their game live, but there is little to no footage out there.

I saw them tour Masque, Leftoverture, PoKR, and Monolith, and for me nothing topped the LO tour; the music (in my opinion) peaked there, and the band was on fire and still playing smaller venues. Absolutely amazing. And from that general era, the Kirschner video serves as a lovely memento. Others' mileage, obviously, will vary.
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

Kansas Live at The Summit, Houston, TX, USA 1980-12-09 - Houston, TX - Audio-Visions Tour
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkxaMhH9qSs

Phil Ehart - percussion, drums
    Dave Hope - bass guitar
    Kerry Livgren - guitar, keyboards
    Robby Steinhardt - violin, vocals
    Steve Walsh - keyboards, vocals
    Rich Williams - guitar

Kansas Live at Civic Auditorium Omaha (Omaha, NE) JUL 21, 1982 - Vinyl Confessions Tour
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqDrZYC1TRk

- Phil Ehart / drums
    - Kerry Livgren / keyboards and guitars
    - Robby Steinhardt / violins and vocals
    - Dave Hope / bass guitar
    - Richard Williams / guitars
    - John Elefante / vocals, keyboards, guitar

Guest musician:
    - Warren Ham / harmonica, flute, saxophone, keyboards and vocals

By the way they are recording a new Album right now!

Did Kansas even tour for Drastic Measures? My impression is that the band was falling apart around the time the album was released.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    Did Kansas even tour for Drastic Measures? My impression is that the band was falling apart around the time the album was released.
    26 Dates in '83 and 4 in '84

Last edited by TheH; 1 Week Ago at 02:53 PM.

I know that this track was the Symbol of the downfall of Kansas on Drastic Measures, but for me it's the best
    song on the Album

^^^^ the thing about Drastic Measures was that Kerry left the band already before he left the band.