Thread: Lifesigns (UK based prog band)

Lifesigns (UK based prog band)

I'm not sure if any of you are aware of the band Lifesigns?

They're a UK band, but I know they've recently played gigs like Cruise To The Edge, so they may have a wider audience on here.

The band play a prog-lite type of music, very melodic and easy to get into, but with enough shifting time signatures and extended arrangements to interest prog fans (judging by the tshirts in the audience last night.) (The band members cvs include stints with The Strawbs, Iona, Quango.....and The Wombles!)

The band come across as a genuinely nice bunch of guys, and their profile is slowly growing, but a little bit of extra coverage never goes amiss, so I put together a review of last night's gig in Edinburgh:

https://momentstransition.wordpress....eptember-2019/

You can learn more about the band here:

https://www.lifesigns.me/

"Random" Jon Poole also played in Cardiacs (on guitar, also wrote a few tracks)...he is an insanely-talented bloke.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Love them.
    Plus band leader John Young is a really lovely fellow. He used to post here, I don't know if he still visits.

Here is an official live video of the 2nd line-up (and first live line-up) with Niko Tsonev guitar. This song eventually got a studio version on the 2nd album Cardington with former Iona guitar player (and now fully fledged Lifesigns member) Dave Bainbridge:

Saw the current line-up, with Dave Bainbridge on guitars and additional keyboards, only once so far but it was on helluva gig. Although Niko Tsonev was an exciting addition to the band stylewise Bainbridge's melodic playing just fits in naturally with Lifesigns music. The added bonus is also that Bainbridge is a fine keyboard player which means that they can really present the music as on the albums.

They have also added one 'new' song to their setlist and for those who have heard it / seen it live it is not surprising that it is in fact their set closer as it is atrue showstopper. John Young / Lifesigns have resurrected the song Last One Home John Young wrote with John Wetton for the short lived Qango project (John Wetton, Carl Palmer, John Young and Dave Kilminster). Even thinking about the one time I saw Lifesigns perform it still gives me goosebumps. Not surpringsly it is slated to be properly recorded in the studio for the 3rd Lifesigns album.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisXymphonia View Post
    Saw the current line-up, with Dave Bainbridge on guitars and additional keyboards, only once so far but it was on helluva gig. Although Niko Tsonev was an exciting addition to the band stylewise Bainbridge's melodic playing just fits in naturally with Lifesigns music. The added bonus is also that Bainbridge is a fine keyboard player which means that they can really present the music as on the albums.
    The band have definitely moved to another level with Dave on board. And, as I heard John Young himself say, Dave's the best keyboard player in the band!

Quote Originally Posted by LeFrog View Post
    The band have definitely moved to another level with Dave on board. And, as I heard John Young himself say, Dave's the best keyboard player in the band!
    Indeed he is. Lot of people don't know that Bainbridge is a fully trained pianist / keyboardist who started out in jazz fusion (and some other things). Guitar was a sidething for him that became one of his main instruments when he set op Iona with Dave Fitzgerald. But John is no slouch either.

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    Seeing Dave play keys with Strawbs was a revelation. I had admired his impressive guitar skills when we saw Iona, but I really dug his keys with Strawbs.

Enjoyed that live video. I've always heard a lot about 'Lifesigns', and glad I could finally give them a listen. Will definitely check further into their catalog. It's unbelievable just how much quality music there is these days. A constant feast!

Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    Enjoyed that live video. I've always heard a lot about 'Lifesigns', and glad I could finally give them a listen. Will definitely check further into their catalog. It's unbelievable just how much quality music there is these days. A constant feast!
    Listen (and buy) their latest album here: https://lifesigns1.bandcamp.com/album/cardington
    Listen (and buy) their debut album here: https://lifesigns1.bandcamp.com/album/lifesigns

I have both of their Cd’s....love them both! Especially the newest! One of my favorite current prog bands! Always looking forward to new music from them....
    So much music....so little time....

Just ordered their newest release. Compositions and arrangements are killer.

Not a style of music I gravitate toward often, but, man, they’re very good at what they do. Very big fan.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Relistened to Cardington yesterday because it's been a while. I can't say there';s a bad tune on this album, better than the S/T first one. I especially love Impossible.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

I bought Cardington today. I recall checking out tracks from the S/T album around the time of release, when a thread here touted the album. I wasn't impressed with what I heard, but I liked the tracks I listened to from this 2nd album, so hopefully I won't be disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisXymphonia View Post

They have also added one 'new' song to their setlist and for those who have heard it / seen it live it is not surprising that it is in fact their set closer as it is atrue showstopper. John Young / Lifesigns have resurrected the song Last One Home John Young wrote with John Wetton for the short lived Qango project (John Wetton, Carl Palmer, John Young and Dave Kilminster). Even thinking about the one time I saw Lifesigns perform it still gives me goosebumps. Not surpringsly it is slated to be properly recorded in the studio for the 3rd Lifesigns album.
    Yeah that song grabbed me the first and only time of hearing it when I saw Quango. Was always expecting it to show up on a John Wetton solo album so this is great news.

I love this band so much. John Young is a really cool guy, and the rest of the band are so talented (that didn't come out right - John is really talented, too!).

Hope they put out another one soon.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Got their debut last month. Not much of an impression on first listen.

However, a couple listens in and wowzers.....this is a fantastic old-school with new sensibilities prog album. A total delight and one of the best of the new millenium.

^ I agree. Not some cutting edge thing, but really good old style but not retro, if that makes sense. I like it a lot.