Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Prog guilty pleasures and true confessions

Member Emeritus (A.M.P.) rcarlberg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Although I'm not in love with her material, Adele is at least a quite competent singer, not an auto-tune queen. Sorta like Amy Winehouse was:

This is not exactly a confession, as I have admitted my love for Red Elvises (the premiere Siberian surf band) for some time now:

Maka ki ecela tehani yanke lo!

Now we're swinging for the fences!
    "If you want to see the true nature of humanity, just look at the internet."

http://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection

Okay.....when nobody is home, I like to don a sparkly cape and.....oh, never mind!

I admit I have a fondness for Soviet-era shlock from my parents' homeland. And boy did those Soviets know how to do shlock... Our relatives used to send us these "mikrofons" pop hits records back in the day, sort of a Latvian equivalent of K-tel records. This song was a favorite off one of those.

The title means "Finnish sauna" and the chorus includes the great line "In the sauna we will get ruddy and naked..." Not kidding. This is an odd version because it is half in Latvian and half in Russian. I had not heard it before.

*LOVE* the trombone! Schlager was quite the trend wasn't it. No American equivalent.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    You realize that's a creepy stalker song, about a guy listening in on some chick's conversations, yes?
    Look, Lyotard and Levi-Strauss differed on that interpretation. So I'll go with someone else's. As with "Homburg" and "Whiter Shade".
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I've been addicted to Japanese cinema for a number of years. I've gotten into some of the songs that are in the movie soundtracks. I know; I'm seriously messed up.

Kana-Boon: Wake Up

Mika Nakashima: Glamorous Sky (at least this one was written by hyde from L'Arc-en-ciel)

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarplyrjvb View Post
    Okay.....when nobody is home, I like to don a sparkly cape and.....oh, never mind!
    Wait a minute, your supposed to wait until no one's home? Oh oh..........
    The older I get, the better I was.

Orange Tick Squasher Buddhabreath's Avatar
    Too many to list but what immediately comes to mind:

Starcastle
    John Denver
    Happy Flowers
    Various 60s trash psych-exploitation albums
    ...and last and certainly least
    Smegma! (Your fault Steve F)!
    The combined fortunes of the world's 26 richest individuals reached $1.4 trillion last year — the same amount as the total wealth of the 3.8 billion poorest people.

No guilt.

Big Audio Dynamite
    Freur
    Gregory Gray (aka Mary Cigarettes, RIP)
    Red Box
    Sailor
    It's a Good Thing I Don't Have Super Brain Powers Or You'd All Be In A Thousand Little Pieces Right Now (Forever Einstein).

For prog related shames, I really, really like Magma's Merci in a completely non-sarcastic, non-ironic way. I avoided the album for years because other Magma fans told me "it's utter sellout shite" and "Vander barely even drums on it, the lazy wanker." But in the interest of having a complete Magma experience, I listened to it later and ended up loving it as the black sheep of the family.

I mean, how can can anyone hate that? Laugh at it, sure. Be shocked that it's not traditionally Magma, absolutely. But actively hate? How can anybody hate a well made cheese burger? I get that they were expecting a steak, but you know, when life gives you lemons, you make Merci.

As for non prog shames:

I, uh. No further comment.

Quote Originally Posted by Guntrip View Post
    How can anybody hate a well made cheese burger? I get that they were expecting a steak, but you know, when life gives you lemons, you make Merci.
    "Well-made hamburger"? More like a corndog with cotton candy. And sprinkles.

Old man of prog
    I've always liked John Payne.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    "Well-made hamburger"? More like a corndog with cotton candy. And sprinkles.
    Ouuuch!

I think Vander and the gang listened to Let's Groove a few times too many before making that album.

I’ve been getting way into the Japanese “city pop” sound of late. It’s slicker than an oil spill, but so smooth...

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    *LOVE* the trombone! Schlager was quite the trend wasn't it. No American equivalent.
    Tony Orlando and Dawn, maybe (my first concert, fact fans!)
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Ok, this is really very embarrassing but I get tingles when listening to Ramases’ Children of the Green Earth’. There, I said it.

The only thing I can imagine being more of a guilty pleasure would be liking Ekseption.

if I had to grab 4 albums and escape the house and it so happened that all my Genesis and Yes and B-52s albums were in a pile...
    I'd grab the B-52s and leave the others
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by progholio View Post
    They sure pack a lot in those 2 minutes and 38 seconds and it's one of the best videos ever

True, and I'm also fond of the Joel Veitch video for it:

“your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

I've often said I don't really consider any of the music I like to be a "guilty pleasure". I save that designation for some of the TV shows I used to watch, like Degrassi Jr High and General Hospital. Everything from Kiss to Abba to Night Ranger to whatever I basically enjoy, guilt free. Well, except maybe this:

Within prog, in the world of awkward attempts at 'pop' songs, I'm oddly fond of Camel's 'You Make Me Smile'. Someone here once described it derisively as a 'disco waltz'...absolutely true, but I can't help but like it. And the synth solo is superb. See also their 'Neon Magic' a pretty ropey song but the instrumental bridge is so majestic.

Quote Originally Posted by Guntrip View Post
    For prog related shames, I really, really like Magma's Merci in a completely non-sarcastic, non-ironic way. I avoided the album for years because other Magma fans told me "it's utter sellout shite" and "Vander barely even drums on it, the lazy wanker." But in the interest of having a complete Magma experience, I listened to it later and ended up loving it as the black sheep of the family.
    It is well played and well sung, but mostly it just makes me very sad because it smells so hard of not knowing what to do because of marketplace changes. Which to me is sad for someone with such a unique vision.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"You run a great label, but sometimes you go out of your way to be a jerk." - Jed Levin

"The older I get, the more I realize that cynicism is just realism spelled wrong."

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

I rather like "I Want It That Way" by the Backstreet Boys.
    No matter what anyone says, you are the decider of how you will listen to music.