Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Early 70s Belgian TV - who was on it?

Early 70s Belgian TV - who was on it?

I would like to know more about the early 70s Belgian TV shows that featured prog bands. I have seen the Yes, ELP and Genesis ones a lot and can recall others (when they were shown on late night British TV in late 80s)

Does anyone have any more information about the shows? What other bands were filmed and were they all made by the same company?
    Making Wikipedia marginally more interesting at:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCul...PXchSo_vDxtcLg

^^^^^

I don’t believe the Gentle Giant was part of the series the OP posted about.

I think I recall that there was also a Family show....
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

The show was known as Pop Shop. Legendary prog bands (Genesis, Van Der Graaf Generator, Yes, ELP, etc). No Gentle Giant, but Curved Air was on ( https://youtu.be/lY5SpyIhC6g )

Gentle Giant -The show was in Brussel but German tv taped it.

Quote Originally Posted by rockcup View Post
    Gentle Giant -The show was in Brussel but German tv taped it.
    The shooting crew was certainly Belgian (look at the names). I think I spotted a couple of names that are regularly mentioned in the Pop Shop shows.

Atomic Rooster, Pentangle were also filmed for the Pop Shop (both found on the Master From The Vault DVD series).
    Not sure if Renaissance (yarbirds-era) didn't also get a slot, but I'm sure I forget some (other than those already cited)

The Yes thingie was more of fun reportage, that almost looks like it was the same crew/style than that one filmed Pink Floyd's near-Atomium "videoclips"
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I remember seeing one show (a friend of mine had on VHS) with british progressive folk band Wooden O. Can't remember if it was on the belgian TV series, though.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

http://missingepisodes.proboards.com...elevision-shop

http://missingepisodes.proboards.com/thread/2528

The Black Sabbath performance shot for this series (confusion over whether it was in Paris or Brussels) is the best live material I've heard of the band. A tight performance with Osbourne singing in tune! Some of it was released on that Past Lives CD, and on VHS/DVD, on The Black Sabbath Story Vol. 1.
    Last edited by JJ88; 09-05-2019 at 10:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    http://missingepisodes.proboards.com...elevision-shop

http://missingepisodes.proboards.com/thread/2528

The Black Sabbath performance shot for this series (confusion over whether it was in Paris or Brussels) is the best live material I've heard of the band. A tight performance with Osbourne singing in tune! Some of it was released on that Past Lives CD, and on VHS/DVD, on The Black Sabbath Story Vol. 1.
    Well, yesss, good reminder... That one was on offer at the RTBF archives sites called Sonuma, and indeed it's quite good too (the whole thing was cut in two parts of +/- 40 minutes.

Genesis - released officially

Curved Air - released officially as "Ultimate Anthology" DVD, "Masters From The Vaults" DVD, "Music In Review" DVD

Family - difficult for me to say that here, because I had never seen...

Atomic Rooster - released officially as "Masters From The Vaults" DVD

Renaissance - pre-Annie Haslam line-up, circulates multiple copies of different (but low) quality... However, it does not look like performance in the studio...

Brian Auger's Oblivion Express - not released officially

If - not released officially

Van Der Graaf Generator - released officially, well-known film

Black Sabbath - any info..

Emerson, Lake & Palmer - released officially, also well-known film
    never seen the Family, the Oblivion Express and If films. Missing from this list is Pentangle
    Last edited by Trane; 09-05-2019 at 10:27 AM.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

^They sound really hungry and focussed, as it's from 1970 the set is entirely from the first two albums. Sadly that really bad performance from the Hammersmith Odeon in 1978 (released as Never Say Die) has been seen more widely.

One of those Classic Rock Productions DVD had a trailer containing a few things which they didn't even release, such as Rory Gallagher at the Marquee Club. I've seen something of Status Quo from the Marquee as well which I think was from this same series.

In hindsight these European shows are more interesting to progressive/heavy rock fans than- say- the BBC's Old Grey Whistle Test. Proper A-list acts, and mostly live too.

[QUOTE=JJ88;925088
    In hindsight these European shows are more interesting to progressive/heavy rock fans than- say- the BBC's Old Grey Whistle Test. Proper A-list acts, and mostly live too.[/QUOTE]

I don't know about this man... this sort of things would've brought the RTB (not yet F) house down to rubbles

^That's a classic. The Sensational Alex Harvey Band also gave several full-throttle performances. But there was a fair amount of second-division rock of less interest now. It's certainly not all like 'Frankenstein'.

The OGWT never had studio performances by the sort of names we are talking about here- Yes, Genesis, ELP, Sabbath etc.

Was this show a part of the same Belgian series? It has only popped up on Youtube in the past year as a full show. First in B&W and now a glorious color version.

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    Was this show a part of the same Belgian series? It has only popped up on Youtube in the past year as a full show. First in B&W and now a glorious color version.

From the end credits, most likely - though it says RTB-ORTF, so most likely a collaboration.

I'd only seen snippets from this before

^ ^ ^ ^

I wasted much time trying to license this footage.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    From the end credits, most likely - though it says RTB-ORTF, so most likely a collaboration.

I'd only seen snippets from this before
    Yeah, Michele Arnaud is in the end credits so I'm guessing the Belgians provided the venue and film/editing crew but maybe ORTF helped pay for it so they could broadcast it.

I was trying to work while watching that but kept having to go back and watch it. Not much work got done.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Some great info here. Thanks guys. That Gentle Giant show is a favourite of mine, it says everything that’s both good and bad about prog! F@@k me, what a band they were!!! So many notes! so many time signature changes.... They make Relayer sound like Music For Airports

That Frankenstein video blew me away when I first watched it a few years ago. EDGAR kills on the Arp 2600 "keytar" switches to sax, then percussion. The whole band with Rick Derringer seems to be loving it.

This version is better than the album version and that says a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    ^ ^ ^ ^

I wasted much time trying to license this footage.
    Did you negociate with the RTBF, ORTF or Soft Machine?

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    Yeah, Michele Arnaud is in the end credits so I'm guessing the Belgians provided the venue and film/editing crew but maybe ORTF helped pay for it so they could broadcast it.
    Yeah, I can imagine a similar set up for the GG concert with the German TV.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    never seen the Family, the Oblivion Express and If films. Missing from this list is Pentangle
    It's from the era they had Alex Ligertwood on vocals. Great shoot.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by Adinfinitum View Post
    That Frankenstein video blew me away when I first watched it a few years ago. EDGAR kills on the Arp 2600 "keytar" switches to sax, then percussion. The whole band with Rick Derringer seems to be loving it.

This version is better than the album version and that says a lot.
    The first version I ever heard, actually- on some OGWT compilation in the 90s. Loved it, and consider it one of the all-time great rock TV performances. Totally over-the-top and magnificent. Alas there's not that much in Winter's discography like it, as far as I can make out.

From what I can remember (I was a young teenager then, just discovering pop-rock) there were MUCH more filmed studio live acts in "POP-SHOP" (later "FOLLLIES") which was a weekly show. A few resurfaced but most were lost, destroyed or erased since the RTB(F) were not into archiving pop/rock material.

To give you an idea, a short quote from Michel Perrin:

Michel Perrin : " J'ai le pénible souvenir que nous enregistrions chaque semaine sur la bande magnétique du concert précédent. Tout était donc systématiquement effacé. La RTBF s'est privée d'entrer dans l'histoire de la musique populaire. Nous n'étions pas nombreux à croire en ce genre musical.

Michel Perrin: "I have the painful memory that every week we recorded over the tape used for the previous concert. So everything was systematically erased. The RTBF did not allow itself to enter the history of popular music. Not many of us believed in this kind of music.

Very sad...

Lots of interesting historical informations about "POP-SHOP" (and "FOLLLIES") can be found here (unfortunaterly and obviously all in French):

https://www.memoire60-70.be/Chroniqu...ssion_RTB.html

And rock-archaeologists should also dig into the Sonuma Archives (free access to some contents only) there could be some hidden gems to discover.

https://www.sonuma.be/homepage
    Last edited by Mr.Krautman; 09-06-2019 at 10:19 PM.

Now that I gradually remember my friend's VHS's there was also a shot of Greatest Show on Earth in "Pop Shop".
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    Now that I gradually remember my friend's VHS's there was also a shot of Greatest Show on Earth in "Pop Shop".
    Yes, GSOE is listed in the link above but I don't think there is any surviving copy. And BTW, there were no VHS format home video recorders available at that time (1970-73)