Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What responsibility does Soft Machine Legacy have to sound like Soft Machine?

I'm fine with the name. It gives you some idea as to what type of music is being played. In Soft Machines case, that is a very wide playing field so I wouldn't expect SML to be pinned down to just playing 40 year old songs. I like the "Legacy" part of the name, it implies a passage of time and they do have longstanding members. I hope musicians like this can always find an audience to play to and if including SM in the band name helps, then it's a good thing.

No responsibility, I have no problem with name as many of members were associated with SM.

I haven't listened to them for sometime, maybe a listen is due.

I saw them live once, and it was a bit of a dream come true - the closest I'd ever get to seeing Soft Machine (This was just after Elton Dean had died.). I wasn't disappointed.

I like all their albums as well, especially Live Adventures, and I'm looking forward to this one.

It wouldn't bother me if they just called themselves Soft Machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    But they're calling themselves Soft Machine Legacy. Therefore, I think there is a responsibility to adopt a retro sound and significantly mine their old sounds. If they're going to simply be former Soft Machine personnel making new music, then they should use a different name.
    Can't agree. Legacy can be something carried on, not necessarily emulated. And that doesn't have to be something as concrete as a style or sound; it can be a spirit. I think, if anything, one of the things Soft Machine represented was the concept of change, which is as good a legacy as any, I think. So I'd say there's nothing wrong with being called Soft Machine Legacy (or Soft Machine, as they are called in Japan)..

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    I wasn't going to post any more, but I will, since the above triggered my feelings about this.

It isn't like Elton and Hugh were asked to leave. They died. They happily played in SML until they died. The remaining musicians have chosen to continue to make music and even were able to find musicians with direct ties (Roy Babbington) or interest in 'that sound' ties to the group and have continued to make music.

Would you really rather John Marshall and Roy Babbington, etc. sat at home and didn't play? The band gives them a framework (and a built-in interest level from the punters) to play music - good music - and even make NEW music.

Methinks some people are very, very hard on musicians who never got the credit or interest level (not to mention monetary reimbursement) they deserved....
    Very well said!!
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.