Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Jethro Tull Bonus Tracks & Remasters

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Actually, that one is one of the few that are still available. Lasers Edge and Wayside both have it in stock, and Amazon Canada still has two copies in stock. Maybe some of the other international Amazon sites do too.
    Haha...I should have known. The things I want are always OOP and the things I don't never are.

But still...perhaps...I'll think it over.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

How great is this? Ian is the best
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

^ Probably not the clip I would have chosen, unless it's just to demonstrate his great showmanship...which is astounding. I always love the video clips where it seems he sweats about three ponds worth of water in one show.

Ian is the best is something else I'd agree with. Just the sheer amount of above average material he wrote or co-wrote in the 70s is truly astonishing. Pretty mind blowing.

Also, another 40th box question...now looking over the track list from WarChild more closely (which I should have done before starting this thread admittedly), it seems there is no track called Warchild Waltz on the 40th set, but there is a Waltz Of The Angels, which is roughly the same length...are these two songs the same/similar?

thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobo Chang Ba View Post
    Also, another 40th box question...now looking over the track list from WarChild more closely (which I should have done before starting this thread admittedly), it seems there is no track called Warchild Waltz on the 40th set, but there is a Waltz Of The Angels, which is roughly the same length...are these two songs the same/similar?

thanks.
    Yeah. Tull haven’t missed a thing so far

^ Cool. Wish I was on this Tull binge I am now on back when they were doing these sets.

Looking forward to Stormwatch.

I was looking yesterday at a part of the DVD set Around The World. On the setlist there is one concert video from 2001 with the first Tull reunion line-up Anderson, Bunker , Abrahams and Cornick, but when playing the extract it's clearly the Anderson, Barre, Giddings, Perry , Noyce line up from the London concert. Is there any video material from this reunion concert or is this an error in the booklett?
    Dieter Moebius : "Art people like things they don’t understand!"

Quote Originally Posted by alucard View Post
    I was looking yesterday at a part of the DVD set Around The World. On the setlist there is one concert video from 2001 with the first Tull reunion line-up Anderson, Bunker , Abrahams and Cornick, but when playing the extract it's clearly the Anderson, Barre, Giddings, Perry , Noyce line up from the London concert. Is there any video material from this reunion concert or is this an error in the booklett?
    I think those where on the Living with the Past video

Quote Originally Posted by alucard View Post
    They most likely intended to use the reunion footage from the Living with the Past DVD, but ended up replacing it with a This Was-era tune performed by the 2000s band from the same DVD, either by mistake or because the reunion footage is so ungodly hard to watch (being treated to a herky-jerky video effect probably to disguise the fact that the audio is dubbed), and they failed to change the credit in the booklet.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Yeah, that 2001 reunion footage is close to unwatchable for me. I do think it's cute that they made it like a little trip back in time though, with them playing to about five people in the audience who weren't even watching the band. I wonder if Mick and Glenn even spoke to each other?

The previous reunion where they are all gathered in the pub is an interesting watch. Glenn shows up and asks Martin if Clive is there (Martin was the social butterfly at that event!) and says with some disdain in his voice, "I saw Mick Abrahams." The whole thing looked a bit awkward to me, with guys like Barrie and Jeffrey at the bar, looking rather uninterested in being filmed.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

^ Cool. Wish I was on this Tull binge I am now on back when they were doing these sets.

Looking forward to Stormwatch.
    Yeah every remix has been first class. We’ve gained at least a half a dozen new gems between 73 and 78 and the known material sounds awesome now. Tull just get even better. 25 albums worth of unrepeated studio tracks between 69 and 84

Quote Originally Posted by PROGMONSTER View Post
    Yeah every remix has been first class. We’ve gained at least a half a dozen new gems between 73 and 78 and the known material sounds awesome now. Tull just get even better. 25 albums worth of unrepeated studio tracks between 69 and 84
    25 albums worth of new material sounds excessive.

But yeah...I was able to get a copy of the Songs From The Wood 40th (just the main disc, not the country set) and I have to say that it was almost like listening to a new album. I was able to hear so much more detail than on the old CD. I've always considered SFTW to be slightly lesser in my mind compared to the majority of the classic era Tull (not bad of course, just slightly below the second tier), but now I will probably revisit that decision.

But yeah...I was able to get a copy of the Songs From The Wood 40th (just the main disc, not the country set) and I have to say that it was almost like listening to a new album. I was able to hear so much more detail than on the old CD. I've always considered SFTW to be slightly lesser in my mind compared to the majority of the classic era Tull (not bad of course, just slightly below the second tier), but now I will probably revisit that decision.
    Nah I mean overall from 68-84. There’s 15 albums plus 10 albums worth of extras. Aqualung, Warchild, Horses, Stormwatch are basically double. Broadsword will be triple. Passion play, Benefit, This was, Too old about an album and a half. That’s ignoring the early versions of songs as well. Under wraps might be a double too I reckon. You can add some of the Warchild orchestral stuff too. Then you have Stand up, Thick, Minstrel, Songs, A plus an extra album of songs. That’s about 25 albums. Yeah Songs sounds great. Does your version have Old Aces?
    Last edited by PROGMONSTER; 09-16-2019 at 06:13 PM.

Nah I mean overall from 68-84. There’s 15 albums plus 10 albums worth of extras. Aqualung, Warchild, Horses, Stormwatch are basically double. Broadsword will be triple. Passion play, Benefit, This was, Too old about an album and a half. That’s ignoring the early versions of songs as well. Under wraps might be a double too I reckon. You can add some of the Warchild orchestral stuff too. Then you have Stand up, Thick, Minstrel, Songs, A plus an extra album of songs. That’s about 25 albums. Yeah Songs sounds great. Does your version have Old Aces?
    Ahh ok. That makes more sense.

And it does! It has all the bonus tracks on the first disc of the box. (Basically no concert or DVDs) Which I'm very thankful for, as others in this series (looking at your WarChild and Minstrel...) don't have the requisite bonus material.

War Child, I'm sorry, is obviously triple.

One of me fav albums ever. Fun reading on it here:

https://www.loudersound.com/features...-from-the-wood
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post

Well I don't think I'll reevaluate it that much. Besides, TAAB will never be replaced as my favorite Tull work.

And that's a nice little article (aside from his disparaging words towards Stormwatch). Thanks.

SFTW is my fave Tull album, too.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post

Good read.

He should make a duo with Kerry Minnear...

Well I don't think I'll reevaluate it that much. Besides, TAAB will never be replaced as my favorite Tull work.

And that's a nice little article (aside from his disparaging words towards Stormwatch). Thanks.
    Thick was the best original released album. But I think several albums could have been even better or on par. I love at least 10 songs from the upcoming Stormwatch remix double album track list. Same with Warchild, Passion, Aqualung. Horses and Songs remixes have a pretty equal 40 minutes of studio as Thick too if you go through the album and non album stuff. It’s all evening out now

Thick was the best original released album. But I think several albums could have been even better or on par. I love at least 10 songs from the upcoming Stormwatch remix double album track list. Same with Warchild, Passion, Aqualung. Horses and Songs remixes have a pretty equal 40 minutes of studio as Thick too if you go through the album and non album stuff. It’s all evening out now
    Thick for me is basically the pinnacle of what JT can do. The only other works I'd put up there are A Passion Play and (cheating a bit) the Château D'Iaster tapes. But I basically wouldn't want to be without everything from their debut through Stormwatch (live albums included), sans Benefit & Too Old.

And I'm not old enough to remember the albums how they were originally released. So WarChild to me doesn't end at Two Fingers, and sounds incomplete if I stop it there.

Thick for me is basically the pinnacle of what JT can do. The only other works I'd put up there are A Passion Play and (cheating a bit) the Château D'Iaster tapes. But I basically wouldn't want to be without everything from their debut through Stormwatch (live albums included), sans Benefit & Too Old.

And I'm not old enough to remember the albums how they were originally released. So WarChild to me doesn't end at Two Fingers, and sounds incomplete if I stop it there.
    Yeah. Get all the remixes and you’ll be very happy

Yeah. Get all the remixes and you’ll be very happy
    I would like too get the WarChild and Minstrel... ones, but they are OOP and now prohibitively expensive. I would like the SFTW one as well, but now that I got the main disc my desire for that one has fallen a bit. As mentioned above, I also have interest in Stand Up for the live show, but I already have that one twice, so that one is certainly the least interesting to me.

Needless to say, I will be buying the Stormwatch one as well.