Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jethro Tull Bonus Tracks & Remasters

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar

Jethro Tull Bonus Tracks & Remasters

With the 40th anniversary set for Stormwatch coming out next month, we've now made it through the main brunt of Tull's discog with these expanded sets. So I have a couple questions regarding the multitude of bonus and non album tracks from JT that I hope the Tull experts on the board can help me answer:

1) Are there any "unreleased" songs from the 20th/25th anniversary boxes and Nightcap (and any other sets of rare tracks) that haven't been included as a bonus track on these 40th anniversary sets?

2) Looking over the track list for Minstrel In The Gallery, I notice it doesn't list Pan Dance or March The Mad Scientist as part of the 'associated recordings'. Did these tracks get included on one of the other 40th boxes?

3) My personal interest in Tull wanes after The Broadsword & The Beast, but are there plans to continue the 40th anniversary series any further? (IIRC, I thought I remember reading that Wilson is done with his involvement in such things, but obviously it can continue without him) If so, any ideas if there are any other nuggets of interest out there in terms of unreleased tracks?

Many thanks for any or all assistance.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Progatron is probably the man for this job. But whilst I don't have the Wilson ones, looking at what's on the 20th box, I think it's 80s tracks like 'Motor Eyes' and 'Coronach' which have not been on any subsequent reissues.

A few other things slipped through the cracks...the full 1970 Carnegie Hall show (partially used on the 3rd side of Living In The Past and the rest on the 25th box). This was only on an older re-release of Stand Up which is now out of print.
    Last edited by JJ88; 09-04-2019 at 04:46 AM.

"March The Mad Scientist" is on the War Child set.

the 20/25 years box sets & Chateau Disaster Tapes CD's are the primary source for the bonus material on all the remasters.
    so technically they are unreleased on that particular CD. although rarely something does falls out of the vaults.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobo Chang Ba View Post
    1) Are there any "unreleased" songs from the 20th/25th anniversary boxes and Nightcap (and any other sets of rare tracks) that haven't been included as a bonus track on these 40th anniversary sets?
    JJ88 is correct that Motoreyes and Coronach remain exclusive to the 20th box, both being left off of Nightcap for unexplained reasons. Until now (well, next month), Blues Instrumental was the other track only found on that set, but is now retitled Lyricon Blues on the new Stormwatch set. As for the 25th box, that has quite a bit of material only found there, but of course none of those are unknown songs, just different versions (live, mixes, etc.)

...and yes, the only complete Carnegie show is on the 3-disc Stand Up from 2010. That's actually a pretty good set, I hung on to mine when the Elevated edition came out.

2) Looking over the track list for Minstrel In The Gallery, I notice it doesn't list Pan Dance or March The Mad Scientist as part of the 'associated recordings'. Did these tracks get included on one of the other 40th boxes?
    Those are both on the War Child box, which is chronologically correct, as they were recorded in 1974 (March The Mad Scientist in April, Pan Dance in October). The fact that they were included as bonus tracks on the 2002 Minstrel remaster may have led to some confusion - as with Broadford Bazaar appearing on the Heavy Horses remaster CD, when that is actually a Stormwatch-era piece.

3) My personal interest in Tull wanes after The Broadsword & The Beast, but are there plans to continue the 40th anniversary series any further? (IIRC, I thought I remember reading that Wilson is done with his involvement in such things, but obviously it can continue without him) If so, any ideas if there are any other nuggets of interest out there in terms of unreleased tracks?
    Nothing has been mentioned yet, but as these are very successful sets I can imagine they would want to continue them, with or without Wilson. Broadsword, of course, has a boatload of extra tracks which have already been released on the remaster CD, essentially making it a double album. But as we've seen with these sets, new and previously unheard songs appear out of the vaults like magic, so Ian and his team could surprise us yet!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    Progatron is probably the man for this job. But whilst I don't have the Wilson ones, looking at what's on the 20th box, I think it's 80s tracks like 'Motor Eyes' and 'Coronach' which have not been on any subsequent reissues.

A few other things slipped through the cracks...the full 1970 Carnegie Hall show (partially used on the 3rd side of Living In The Past and the rest on the 25th box). This was only on an older re-release of Stand Up which is now out of print.
    Many thanks for the replies all.

Luckily I was able to score a copy of Stand Up with the Carnegie Hall Show. Sadly, I skipped the Wilson set (as it came out pretty shortly after) and like a dunce I didn't realize they switched the live show. I quite like early tull, but not enough at the time to buy two multidisc sets of Stand Up in short order. (But now I wish I did!)
    Last edited by Hobo Chang Ba; 09-04-2019 at 03:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    JJ88 is correct that Motoreyes and Coronach remain exclusive to the 20th box, both being left off of Nightcap for unexplained reasons. Until now (well, next month), Blues Instrumental was the other track only found on that set, but is now retitled Lyricon Blues on the new Stormwatch set. As for the 25th box, that has quite a bit of material only found there, but of course none of those are unknown songs, just different versions (live, mixes, etc.)

...and yes, the only complete Carnegie show is on the 3-disc Stand Up from 2010. That's actually a pretty good set, I hung on to mine when the Elevated edition came out.

Those are both on the War Child box, which is chronologically correct, as they were recorded in 1974 (March The Mad Scientist in April, Pan Dance in October). The fact that they were included as bonus tracks on the 2002 Minstrel remaster may have led to some confusion - as with Broadford Bazaar appearing on the Heavy Horses remaster CD, when that is actually a Stormwatch-era piece.

Nothing has been mentioned yet, but as these are very successful sets I can imagine they would want to continue them, with or without Wilson. Broadsword, of course, has a boatload of extra tracks which have already been released on the remaster CD, essentially making it a double album. But as we've seen with these sets, new and previously unheard songs appear out of the vaults like magic, so Ian and his team could surprise us yet!
    Excellent thanks! I'll see if I can find those two songs on youtube to see what I'm missing out on (but as I said, 80s tull can be a bit dicey for my personal tastes).

Good to know I'm just unobservant and completely missed those two tracks on the Warchild box (I don't own it and just saw it once in person). Beltane is another I've noticed has been relocated from old CD versions to 40th anniversary sets. I suppose this makes more sense to keep everything together chronologically, but as long as they didn't lose anything in translation I don't care where they put the tracks.

As for continuing...can their possibly be more from the Broadsword era?! I guess if Old Aces Die Hard stayed hidden away for decades anything is possible. But thanks...I generally only find out about these things once they are released/posted about here so I was just curious if there were hushed whispers or anything of the like. I'll probably get the A and Broadsword set if they do push onward.

Beltane is another I've noticed has been relocated from old CD versions to 40th anniversary sets. I suppose this makes more sense to keep everything together chronologically, but as long as they didn't lose anything in translation I don't care where they put the tracks.

As for continuing...can their possibly be more from the Broadsword era?! I guess if Old Aces Die Hard stayed hidden away for decades anything is possible. But thanks...I generally only find out about these things once they are released/posted about here so I was just curious if there were hushed whispers or anything of the like. I'll probably get the A and Broadsword set if they do push onward.
    Yes, Beltane is another good example. They stuck it on the Songs From The Wood remaster CD, but it was a Heavy Horses outtake, which they again corrected with these boxes.

As for Broadsword, you'd think there couldn't possibly be more tracks from that 1981/1982 period where Ian wrote a TON of songs. But like I said, they continue to surprise us, so who knows? I'd just be happy with all of them gathered together in one place finally, instead of scattered between remaster bonus tracks, Nightcap and old boxed sets.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I've said this before but I think an expanded reissue of Living In The Past would be a good way to get that Carnegie Hall show out in full again. Bear in mind the only full release of the original double album on CD was on that MFSL label.

I'd do a CD of the studio tracks (adding on the few B sides which didn't make the original album, and the rarer UK single mix of 'Teacher'). And then the live show on the second disc.

what JJ8 says is what I hope for...

"Angels die, redemption rages
    The age of man on an empty page
    And chances are
    This will save your soul or break it forever "

I've said this before but I think an expanded reissue of Living In The Past would be a good way to get that Carnegie Hall show out in full again. Bear in mind the only full release of the original double album on CD was on that MFSL label.
    An expanded Living In The Past book set is pretty unlikely, as those tracks have all been released on the other sets now, apart from the Carnegie ones. What they should have done in 2015 was properly release the full show on its own, rather than the limited and incomplete vinyl-only version. It's incomplete on the 25th box as well. The only time they got it right was on that 2010 Stand Up, and that went out of print (he says, as he happily glances at his copy on the shelf). It can be had, it's just a bit pricier than it was on release day.

I'd do a CD of the studio tracks (adding on the few B sides which didn't make the original album, and the rarer UK single mix of 'Teacher'). And then the live show on the second disc.
    The complete live show would have to be on two CDs, as it's about 103 minutes. Or on one audio DVD, as it was with Stand Up 2010.
    Last edited by Progatron; 09-04-2019 at 08:49 PM.

As for Broadsword, you'd think there couldn't possibly be more tracks from that 1981/1982 period where Ian wrote a TON of songs. But like I said, they continue to surprise us, so who knows?
    There are at least two known tracks from those sessions still unreleased: "D.J.," said to be a disco-style arrangement; and a heavy rocker called "Dinosaur." One reason it has remained in the can could be that, like "Living in the Past" and "Too Old to Rock 'n' Roll," that title is just asking for it.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Broadsword will have at least 30 studio tracks. So far all studio tracks from 68-79 have been covered plus another 20 new studio tracks or so not including early versions. I think there will be double albums worth for Under wraps, Catfish, Roots and Dotcom. So if you cross off the early versions, you’re left with mainly 10 albums of good to very good extra tracks. Only Ultimate confusion, Singing all day and Horse Hoeing are a bit mediocre to me. I think Wilson could have done more with Everything in our lives, Beltane, Life is a long song and Dr Bogenbroom by cleaning up the drums more. He really needs to do Broadsword and fix the 80s drums

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    There are at least two known tracks from those sessions still unreleased: "D.J.," said to be a disco-style arrangement; and a heavy rocker called "Dinosaur." One reason it has remained in the can could be that, like "Living in the Past" and "Too Old to Rock 'n' Roll," that title is just asking for it.
    I believe these are the ones that Ian vetoed for the 20th box. Perhaps he will be convinced this time? Broadsword is certainly a strong contender for this deluxe treatment IMO. And Ian likes the album. I've got my fingers crossed that they do "A" as well, since I love that album and would be very interested to hear any associated recordings they might dig up. I suppose if they have to scrape the barrel for that one, they could always just slap the Slipstream film on there again to beef up the set.

Quote Originally Posted by PROGMONSTER View Post
    I think there will be double albums worth for Under wraps, Catfish, Roots and Dotcom.
    I don't know about that. If we're talking early/alternate versions, sure, but for new songs it seems unlikely there would be that many from those albums. So far we already have Night In The Wilderness and It All Trickles Down, perhaps a couple more could surface if they make it that far in the series. I'd love if you were right though!

still would like to see "Living in the Past" in the book format to match everything else on my bookshelf, I just felt that the full Carnegie Hall show would help justify it. Perhaps, a few more early live audio and video pieces good be found to add to it.

"Angels die, redemption rages
    The age of man on an empty page
    And chances are
    This will save your soul or break it forever "

Quote Originally Posted by Kanukisbrave View Post
    still would like to see "Living in the Past" in the book format to match everything else on my bookshelf, I just felt that the full Carnegie Hall show would help justify it. Perhaps, a few more early live audio and video pieces good be found to add to it.
    I would like that too, I just don't think it's likely. But I'd love to be wrong! Perhaps they could reissue it as a simpler 3-disc digipak kind of set the way JJ described, with the studio tracks on one disc and the full Carnegie show on discs 2 & 3. But I think there are also a lot of older fans who grew up with that album who still want to hear it in its original running order, which I understand. Also, not everybody has all of the boxed sets, and so it is still their go-to album for a lot of these tracks. As it stands, I think it's seen as kind of an obsolete title now, I don't think it's been reissued since the remaster series in the early-mid 2000s.

The full 2-disc MFSL version that JJ mentioned tends to go for some big bucks. I've never heard that one, and would love to own it someday.

^Yes, the original sequencing should be kept...just add on the extra tracks at the end. It's not that many anyway- 'One For John Gee', '17' and the UK 'Teacher'. Think that's it...unless you count the Jethro Toe single (not sure it belongs on what was a 'best of').

As a novelty they could include all the original mono single mixes instead of the stereo mixes originally done for the album (and widely available on the normal LITP CD anyway). They haven't been available in one place, so that's a selling point of sorts.

Am I right in assuming they have no multi-track live recordings from 1971-6 or so? That's a big chunk of their commercial peak right there.

^Yes, the original sequencing should be kept
    Which original sequencing? If you're reissuing LITP just as an exercise in nostalgia, you can't please those who are used to the US track listing and those who expect the UK version both. And for any reason other than as an exercise in nostalgia, it would be a pointless/redundant release that would likely be perceived as a rip-off by a lot of fans.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

^There's only a couple of tracks different between them. Hardly like The Beatles' US track-listings, is it?

As for the 'rip-off' accusations, that's funny- some on here buy the same albums over and over again as it is. And those who feel so aggrieved can easily pass on it if it's so 'pointless/redundant'.

I don't really care, the Carnegie Hall show is the main thing anyway.

The full 2-disc MFSL version that JJ mentioned tends to go for some big bucks.
    They always do.
    Last edited by JJ88; 09-05-2019 at 01:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kanukisbrave View Post
    Perhaps, a few more early live audio and video pieces good be found to add to it.
    I'm just trying to think. There is that Swing In film from 1969 which was on the Classic Artists DVD, is that still in print? This had interviews and some footage of them in the Royal Albert Hall.

There's that US TV appearance (Bandstand?) of them miming to 'Teacher', with close-ups of some very deep and meaningful facial expressions from the audience!

A Top Of The Pops performance of them miming to 'Sweet Dream' recently surfaced.

Tanglewood 1970, but I'm not sure on the legal situation of that...you'd think that would have been released otherwise.

A few odds and ends on Beat Club, not sure of the in-print status of those.

There is that Swing In film from 1969 which was on the Classic Artists DVD, is that still in print? This had interviews and some footage of them in the Royal Albert Hall.
    The Classic Artist DVDs were only printed once, I think. I'm not sure what the deal is with those, there are only four titles that I know of (Tull, Yes, Cream, Moodies), and although out of print, I notice some are still available, sort of (Amazon UK has one copy of Tull, for example). Definitely worth seeking out though, for anyone who hasn't seen it. Very honest interviews with the guys. The others are great too (haven't seen the Cream one). I had hoped for some more of those DVDs about other bands I like, but it seems to have been a limited thing.

The Swing In documentary is pretty cool. I remember the part where they got a traffic ticket! And Ian's very Scottish parents looking through their scrapbooks of all the news clippings about their son. Interesting stuff.

That's the idea, just enough to kind of justify the release. However you work it, the reality is that there are people (possibly stupid) like me that want the collection to be consistent.

Plus for the record, I still find this release one of my go-to grabs when I'm looking for some early Tull tuneage.

I would welcome a remix of Crest of A knave and in particular would like to see the demo tapes released... including a cleaned up version of the original demo of a 22 min plus Budapest
    Check out the rough audio here
    Budapest

continued

Steel Monkey demo

I believe these are the ones that Ian vetoed for the 20th box. Perhaps he will be convinced this time? Broadsword is certainly a strong contender for this deluxe treatment IMO. And Ian likes the album. I've got my fingers crossed that they do "A" as well, since I love that album and would be very interested to hear any associated recordings they might dig up. I suppose if they have to scrape the barrel for that one, they could always just slap the Slipstream film on there again to beef up the set.

I don't know about that. If we're talking early/alternate versions, sure, but for new songs it seems unlikely there would be that many from those albums. So far we already have Night In The Wilderness and It All Trickles Down, perhaps a couple more could surface if they make it that far in the series. I'd love if you were right though!
    I've read a few times about a few Roots and Dotcom extras being out there. We also have a few songs from 90 and 91 on Nightcap and 25th box which are around Catfish. Wraps is also just after Walk into light. He might have extra stuff around that period. Also, these 4 Tull albums are 50-60 minutes long. So they only need a few more tracks to make double albums