Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Jethro Tull Bonus Tracks & Remasters

Quote Originally Posted by PROGMONSTER View Post
    We also have a few songs from 90 and 91 on Nightcap and 25th box which are around Catfish.
    I think Piece of Cake, Silver River Turning, Rosa on the Factory Floor, I Don’t Want To Be Me and Night in the Wilderness are all from the Catfish era.

Broadsword will have at least 30 studio tracks. He really needs to do Broadsword and fix the 80s drums
    I have 25 from the Broadsword era. If there are at least 5 more unreleased that was an amazingly productive time, I sure hope SW does Broadword. It’d also be nice to have the full Hamburg 1982 concert.
    Last edited by Wah3; 1 Week Ago at 07:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wah3 View Post
    I think Piece of Cake, Silver River Turning Rosa on the Factory Floor, I Donít Want To Be Me and Night in the Wilderness are all from the Catfish era.

I have 25 from the Broadsword era. If there are at least 5 more unreleased that was an amazingly productive time, I sure hope SW does Broadword. Itíd also be nice to have the full Hamburg 1982 concert.
    I think I counted 30 with DJ and Dinosaur included. Donít forget songs such as Motoreyes and Jackalynn home version. Half the songs have decent production and the other half range from average to crap production lol. The drums on the well known version of Jackalynn sound terrible. I canít listen to it. Wilson has to do this remix. Some songs will sound 100 times better if he fixes them

Yeah, Broadsword will/would be a worthy addition to the series, but I would assume it wouldn't be out until 2022. At which point Ian Anderson will be 75!

One track from that period I always liked is Crew Nights. I'm probably in the minority there.
    www.velvetthunder.co.uk - From the ashes of the Classic Rock Society rises Velvet Thunder!

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Yeah, Broadsword will/would be a worthy addition to the series, but I would assume it wouldn't be out until 2022. At which point Ian Anderson will be 75!

One track from that period I always liked is Crew Nights. I'm probably in the minority there.
    On a one a year rate it would be 2022 most likely. I'm really locking forward to that one.

Crew Nights is a great song, the best of the Broadsword leftovers.

The full 2-disc MFSL version that JJ mentioned tends to go for some big bucks. I've never heard that one, and would love to own it someday.
    That full MFSL version actually has all the tracks that appeared on both the UK and US versions but does not replicate the original release. All other CD releases have tracks missing in order to fit on one disc.
    There is a japanese mini-LP double CD that perfectly matches the UK version, including the book-style packaging. I'm quite proud to own that one!

Quote Originally Posted by LeFrog View Post
    There is a japanese mini-LP double CD that perfectly matches the UK version, including the book-style packaging. I'm quite proud to own that one!
    I just looked that one up. Looks really nice!
    www.velvetthunder.co.uk - From the ashes of the Classic Rock Society rises Velvet Thunder!

Not a bad track. Wilson will make it sound fairly good. I think The curse will sound pretty good remixed too. Sounds like Devo. Iím your gun and Down at the end of your road will sound great. Get to it Wilson lol. Jackalynn and Beastie will become very listenable instead of horrible. This can be the best box set because the production can be improved so much. Thereís only 3 songs that donít really have much potential imo. Lights out, No step and Rythm in gold. All the others should sound fairly good remixed
    Last edited by PROGMONSTER; 1 Week Ago at 12:06 AM.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    A mildly sidetrack question...

So wots...uhh the deal with the Too Old To Rock N Roll...40th set? Is it really a live album (on disc 1) or just basically a whole bunch of alternate versions of all the tracks on the album? Or something else?
    No humor please, we're skittish.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobo Chang Ba View Post
    A mildly sidetrack question...

So wots...uhh the deal with the Too Old To Rock N Roll...40th set? Is it really a live album (on disc 1) or just basically a whole bunch of alternate versions of all the tracks on the album? Or something else?
    They rerecorded the entire album in a studio in a short time (two days?) as the soundtrack for a tv special.

Listened for the first time to the Aqualung 40th anniversary edition. My surprise track was 'Up The Pool' an ode to Anderson's hometown Blackpool. Good song , that does not really fit on Aqualung. Was this song ever played live ?
    Dieter Moebius : "Art people like things they donít understand!"

Quote Originally Posted by alucard View Post
    Listened for the first time to the Aqualung 40th anniversary edition. My surprise track was 'Up The Pool' an ode to Anderson's hometown Blackpool. Good song , that does not really fit on Aqualung. Was this song ever played live ?
    Love Up the pool. Great track

Up The 'Pool was played live, but not until the 90s if I recall correctly. I don't believe it was played back in the day. It was, you probably know, originally on the Life's A Long Song EP before becoming more well known on Living In The Past.

Another slightly o/t thing here but what about the guitar/mando rhythm tracks to "Mayhem Maybe"....good lord. This might be Ian's masterpiece for really demonstrating both how great he is at writing pseudo-celtic music, plus the ability to actually play it. What I would give to see a close-up video of the studio recording of this piece....
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Another slightly o/t thing here but what about the guitar/mando rhythm tracks to "Mayhem Maybe"....good lord. This might be Ian's masterpiece for really demonstrating both how great he is at writing pseudo-celtic music, plus the ability to actually play it. What I would give to see a close-up video of the studio recording of this piece....
    Agreed, great track! Let's see Blackmore's Night do that! (Kidding... but it IS pretty busy, even from a vocal perspective.)

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Mando was played by David actually, Ian and Martin did the guitars.

beastie
    clasp
    fallen on hard times
    flying colours
    slow marching band
    broadsword
    pussy willow
    watching me watching you
    seal driver
    cheerio
    jack frost and the hooded crow
    jackalynn
    mayhem maybe
    too many too
    overhang
    rhythm in gold
    i'm your gun
    down at the end of your road
    motoreyes
    commons brawl
    no step
    the curse
    drive on the young side of life
    jackalynn home version
    crew nights
    lights out
    dj
    dinosaur

It might be 28 songs I think

beastie
    clasp
    fallen on hard times
    flying colours
    slow marching band
    broadsword
    pussy willow
    watching me watching you
    seal driver
    cheerio
    jack frost and the hooded crow
    jackalynn
    mayhem maybe
    too many too
    overhang
    rhythm in gold
    i'm your gun
    down at the end of your road
    motoreyes
    commons brawl
    no step
    the curse
    drive on the young side of life
    jackalynn home version
    crew nights
    lights out
    dj
    dinosaur

It might be 28 songs I think
    Cool list, although I have most of those I still would like to have them in one place.

I don't know DJ and Dinosaur, where they released somewhere?

I think there where also a few substantial remixes on one of the box sets (at least a Version of Broadsword with lots of guitar removed)

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    Cool list, although I have most of those I still would like to have them in one place.

I don't know DJ and Dinosaur, where they released somewhere?

I think there where also a few substantial remixes on one of the box sets (at least a Version of Broadsword with lots of guitar removed)
    Dj and Dinosaur havenít been released yet but theyíre supposed to be out there. Thereís probably others too. I think a dozen of those songs need the reverb taken from the drums. 3 or 4 others need extra work on the drums. Wilson will be busy with this one

Dj and Dinosaur haven’t been released yet but they’re supposed to be out there. There’s probably others too. I think a dozen of those songs need the reverb taken from the drums. 3 or 4 others need extra work on the drums. Wilson will be busy with this one
    Yes, most of those where done before Peter-John and Gerry joined. Those tracks sound to "artifical" mainly because of the drums (drum machines).
    Lots of very good songs otherwise though.

I somehow remember a song called "One about a Train" (or close) also to be unreleased from that sessions too.

Quote Originally Posted by pb2015 View Post
    They rerecorded the entire album in a studio in a short time (two days?) as the soundtrack for a tv special.
    Interesting. Is general opinion that the original album or this redone version is 'better'?

Also, a more general question: on the Too Old box...are the versions of One Brown Mouse (early Version) and Strip Cartoon the same as the ones on the Songs From The Wood 40th set?

Interesting. Is general opinion that the original album or this redone version is 'better'?

Also, a more general question: on the Too Old box...are the versions of One Brown Mouse (early Version) and Strip Cartoon the same as the ones on the Songs From The Wood 40th set?
    I think the general opinion at the time of release was that the re-recorded version was better. It has a bit more life to it I think. But now that the dust has settled, I don't know if that's still the consensus.

One Brown Mouse (early version) is a different mix on the Songs From The Wood box. Pretty sure Strip Cartoon is exactly the same track.

I think the general opinion at the time of release was that the re-recorded version was better. It has a bit more life to it I think. But now that the dust has settled, I don't know if that's still the consensus.

One Brown Mouse (early version) is a different mix on the Songs From The Wood box. Pretty sure Strip Cartoon is exactly the same track.
    honestly, Too Old...is my least favorite from the classic Tull years, but idk if a re-recorded version is the solution for me. (Not that it matters, the box is well OOP by now)

And thanks. It gets confusing keeping track of all these bonus tracks. :P

I pretty much only listen to the re-recorded version now - to my ears it has way more sparkle and depth....if you A/B these a stark contrast is heard.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

honestly, Too Old...is my least favorite from the classic Tull years, but idk if a re-recorded version is the solution for me. (Not that it matters, the box is well OOP by now)
    Actually, that one is one of the few that are still available. Lasers Edge and Wayside both have it in stock, and Amazon Canada still has two copies in stock. Maybe some of the other international Amazon sites do too.