Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PLEASE post about ProgDay 2019!!!!

Please post about ProgDay 2019!!!!

Inquiring minds that couldn’t make it want to know!
    Last edited by Steve F.; 1 Week Ago at 11:35 AM.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"You run a great label, but sometimes you go out of your way to be a jerk." - Jed Levin

"The older I get, the more I realize that cynicism is just realism spelled wrong."

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Weather was solid B- in my book...nowhere near as bad as past years but not the best year yet.

Attendance looked solid, par with the last few years. There were a few key folks whom I very much missed seeing but on the whole the crowd was solid.

Only minor downside...different food vendor. It looked decent but I honestly missed the Greek from the past few years. Just a preference.

As for the bands?

It's kind of hard to pick specific favorites because frankly, all the bands were really strong. Gun to the head, my faves would be AdC, Us/Today and Mike Keneally. But Valence was terrific technical/math metal, Strange Changes were musical attention deficit disorder with razor sharp skills, and of course Marbin are goddamned heros just for showing up to save the day...the fact that they also nailed it was just fantastic.

I left early and skipped Morgibl (seeing them this Saturday) so I can't speak to them. And IZZ aren't my thing but the crowd seemed to really enjoy it and they were definitely great at what they were doing.

I also caught the preshow: Bruteus was great heavy guitar-led fusion although I personally found the bass drawing my attention throughout. And Devil's Staircase...Luis + Mattias + heavy nerd theory behind the tunes == happy camper.

Specifics:

AdC: honestly Steve, very much in line with what they were doing at Rhizome, only with slightly expanded instrument assortment (Giovanni had a real Hammond). It was outstanding, as expected.

Strange Changes: kudos for being the first prog band in years that made more nods to the 80's than the 70's. I think they did three covers but two of them were B-52s and Tears for Fears. Very cool. They were so all over the map musically that I can't honestly say I loved everything they were doing, but the parts that I *did* like were excellent, and across the board they were incredibly strong/tight.

Valence: made some jokes with the band afterwards that the only thing they should've been doing was "guitar in crotch" or "guitar showcasing bicep curl" posturing Joking aside, they were excellent and I really enjoyed chatting with them during the afternoon.

Marbin: awesome music and some really fantastic stories shared between songs. For those who didn't know...Farmhouse Odyssey had, errm, "flight issues" and canceled Saturday afternoon. Michael pulled a massive coup and managed to score Marbin with less than 24 hours notice. They literally drove overnight from a Saturday night gig, played first on Sunday, then hit the road to do another show Sunday night. 100% heros every one.

Us/Today: post rock ala Tortoise but perhaps tighter given the trio format. And now I know that vibes pushed through distortion/bitcrusher pedals are the best and only way to hear vibes. I knew nothing about them going in, left yesterday with all three of their albums.

Mike Keneally: fun fact - I brought my Moog Voyager for AdC to use but Giovanni decided not to use it. On a whim, the stage crew offered it to Mr. Keneally so my synth got the distinct pleasure of being featured during his set (less-fun fact: clearly he is WAY better with Moog leads than I thought I was well played sir!!). The set was super cool, a mix of his music, some Dregs and covers (Immigrant Song, Bob Dylan, and one other that has slipped my mind).

But the biggest thing for me was Mike's drummer...a kid named Nick whom Andy West found online as a church player. Apparently they spent roughly 1 day together before hitting the stage as a trio. He was a full tilt MONSTER. His sense of groove, timing, and power reminded me of Dennis Chambers, Keith Carlock, Sonny Emery and several other top shelf players. Best of all, he was having the time of his life up there, smiles and all. I couldn't wait to congratulate him afterwards. I really hope to see more of him on the scene or elsewhere...he's got so much talent, and he needs to be heard.

This is kind of stream-of-consciousness, and I'm sure others will throw far better/more detailed stuff into the mix. For me, it was another great weekend. It kind of occurred to me during the weekend that, after 25 years, PD feels less like a music festival and more like a community reunion. So many greetings with hugs, warm conversations, and just lovely conversations with so many good folks. I also chatted with a few folks who were at PD for the very first time, loving it and excited to come back. So, it's nice to see even a few new faces in the mix along with so many lovely regulars.

In truth, I'm already looking forward to next year.
    Ephemeral Sun - because I gotta do something about these boxes of CDs in the basement: http://www.ephemeralsun.com

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    Strange Changes: kudos for being the first prog band in years that made more nods to the 80's than the 70's. I think they did three covers but two of them were B-52s
    ok, I love the B-52s... so natch I'm curious as to which tune they covered?
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

I'm not an expert with the B-52s but I think it was Rock Lobster.
    Ephemeral Sun - because I gotta do something about these boxes of CDs in the basement: http://www.ephemeralsun.com

fun song... as all B-52 songs are

I thought perhaps Planet Claire or Private Idaho
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

They literally drove overnight from a Saturday night gig, played first on Sunday, then hit the road to do another show Sunday night. 100% heros every one.
    Unbelievably heroic!!

AND I saw them about 3 months ago and they’re great even when not being heroic!!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

"You run a great label, but sometimes you go out of your way to be a jerk." - Jed Levin

"The older I get, the more I realize that cynicism is just realism spelled wrong."

I left early and skipped Morgibl (seeing them this Saturday) so I can't speak to them.
    You missed the best part of the weekend. Hopefully someone will post the video. Oh yea, it was hot, even with an air conditioned tent.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    As one of those unable to attend thanks for the review, would have loved to have seen AdC & Us, Today, both major draws for me.
    Ian

I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

But the biggest thing for me was Mike's drummer...a kid named Nick whom Andy West found online as a church player. Apparently they spent roughly 1 day together before hitting the stage as a trio. He was a full tilt MONSTER. His sense of groove, timing, and power reminded me of Dennis Chambers, Keith Carlock, Sonny Emery and several other top shelf players. Best of all, he was having the time of his life up there, smiles and all. I couldn't wait to congratulate him afterwards. I really hope to see more of him on the scene or elsewhere...he's got so much talent, and he needs to be heard.
    I had the same reaction watching this guy, my mind was blown how good he sounded and those crazy circumstances how it all came together (1 rehearsal and this guy's already twirling sticks during the performance for christsakes!). I also loved how he gave a fresh perspective to songs i was pretty familiar with. I too would love to see more Mr Small in the future.

If you want to see something cool check this out -

Last edited by progholio; 2 Weeks Ago at 02:11 PM.

Ah yeah, there he is. God, he was terrific. Thanks for passing this along!

A lovely weekend.
    Not going to do any ranking.
    All the bands were great, some greater than others.
    A special tip o'the hat to Marbin. I was sad to have missed them on Thursday, but SURPRISE! They were awesome ( no surprise ).
    As noted above Mike Keneally, Andy West , and Nick Smalls pulled off an eclectic set of music. I really liked Mike's playing during the Dreg's pieces.
    Sometimes he was Steve Morse, some times Alan Sloan switching seamlessly. Nick Smalls was a great find, wow!.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by progholio View Post
    I had the same reaction watching this guy, my mind was blown how good this sounded even without those crazy circumstances how it all came together. I also loved how he gave a fresh perspective to songs i was pretty familiar with.

If you want to see something cool check this out -

I just got home about an hour ago exhausted but feeling very loved and also very sad and wistful.

A totally unexpected shout out was given for me by Michael at the end of Morglbl's closing set (karmic that both the late Kay & I knew the guys in the band) after everyone knew that while the spirit is willing etc. for me. My body don't like me no mo'. I couldn't stop sobbing from the love that rained on me right after Mike's comments. I will achingly miss many people next year.

Steve F., I hope you dig the book as much as I did, and make sure that Battema reprobate gets it to you.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

...what book?

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post

Steve F., I hope you dig the book as much as I did, and make sure that Battema reprobate gets it to you.
    Thanks, Geeze! He’s actually the BEST kind of reprobate!

Big hugs!!! Sorry I wasn’t able to do this year.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

I think that video of Nick was one of two Mike Keneally told me he watched after Andy recommended him (the other a more recent video where he had drums). After watching both Mike agreed with Andy and called him up. Great story and even better set onstage.
    It's a Good Thing I Don't Have Super Brain Powers Or You'd All Be In A Thousand Little Pieces Right Now (Forever Einstein).

OK...my perspective

Friday

BRUTEUS: A good start to the weekend. Heavy but interesting. I like how everyone was given an opportunity to shine. A little straight ahead but still interesting enough.

DEVIL'S STAIRCASE: Loved these guys. I was expecting more melodic stuff like Might Could or Sonus Umbra from Luis and the boys, but I was wrong. Definitely more technical and angular. These guys need to write more music, record CDs, and play gigs more often.

Saturday

VALENCE: I really enjoy the new generation of metal musically, but I HATE the cookie monster vocals. These guys have all the trappings on new metal, filled with lots of prog elements, and no distracting grunting. Absolutely loved these guys.

STRANGE CHANGES: From their YouTube clips I was expecting not to like these guys. I was pleasantly surprised. Seeing them live where is was a bit more stripped down allowed me to understand where they were coming from. Very hyperkinetic music with an appropriate name. At times the turning on a dime didn't work for me, but would I pay money to see them again? HELL YES!

IZZ: Izz is one of my favourite symphonic bands, probably because they are quirky in their song construction. Ive seen them 3 times before and this was my least favourite. Yes, my musical tastes have shifted dramatically over the years, but I thought their sound was a little thin in the open air venue. And compared to the rest off the bands I ddn't find their material to be as fresh. I still enjoyed them, but more as a break than anything else. I honestly think its more about my changing as opposed to them.

ACCORDO DEI CONTRARI: You can tell these guys were definitely influenced by the 70s prog band. The Hammond organ sonically was a clue but song construction was also. They were very tight. Compared to the previous bands, I found they lacked the same energy. A good way to end the day, but not a great one.

Sunday

I have been going to music festivals of various genres for over 30 years and has attended festivals approximately 90 times. This Sunday was my single favourite day at any festival ever.

MARBIN: What can I say? A special treat. They were entertaining, they were musical, they were amazing. High energy fusion that demanded you pay attention. They took control of you and you didn't have a say in the matter. What a bonus.

US, TODAY: This is the band I was literally expecting to hate. Nothing I heard on YouTube interested me at all. but like Strange Changes, seeing them live changed things. I liked the guitar stuff with the vibraphone being an accompaniment more than I did when the vibraphone was the main instrument but that was more because I found the guitar parts then to be distracting. Still, I stayed for the whole show, loved some of the songs and didn't others. but they were worth staying for.

MIKE KENNEALLY AND ANDY WEST: What can I say? Monster players. They were all over the place while still being accessible. Covered a wide amount of musical ground easily and for such complex stuff and with 6 hours practice, they were quite tight. I have to repeat the praise for the drummer. I agree he was a monster and I told him exactly that. Playing behind two me of Mike and Andy's stature didn't affect him...jumped in two feet and obviously was enjoying himself.

MORGLBL: The perfect way to end the festival. Musically ridiculous, fun presentation, they didn't take themselves seriously. Organic energy that let the audience in which gave them more energy. Monster players who razed the venue sonically which left nothing else left to be played at the end of the festival.

POST SCRIPT: A special thanks to my personal physician for the weekend, Dr. Geezer. I only realized how much pain my foot was in when I had to drive home without your medical help. You are a good friend, a monster among men, a person who will leave a large hole in the festival landscape, and I cherished every moment with you.
    "The woods would be very silent if the only birds that sang were those who sang best..." - Henry David Thoreau

Damnit! Now you have me tearing up again, Tony!

I love you man!
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

THIS IS NOT A JON ANDERSON THREAD PEOPLE, ENOUGH WITH THE LUVVY DUVVY GEEZY SCHMOOZE DAMMIT

(nuttin but love for ya, Steve )

Quote Originally Posted by gryphs also View Post
    Sunday

I have been going to music festivals of various genres for over 30 years and has attended festivals approximately 90 times. This Sunday was my single favourite day at any festival ever.
    I've been to every ProgDay since '97 and this year's Sunday was possibly the best since that first year convinced me to return every year. Felt bad for Farmhouse Odyssey not getting to play, but a lineup with Marbin, electric vibraphone, Keneally and West playing Mistakes songs and Morglbl wrapping things up? I swear that day was tailor made for me.

Has anyone mentioned Morglbl's cover of Purple Haze with Paul Sears on drums, Mike Keneally doing duet vocals with the fire twirling woman and some random little kid dancing his ass off on stage? That's the sort of thing that makes me love ProgDay.

I'll probably post more later - the wife and I went to the beach for a few days on the way home and trying to type this out on my antique cell phone is a huge pain. I'll just mention that as usual I did low-budget audience recordings that will eventually be put up on Dime a Dozen or otherwise made available to whoever wants them. I've listened to most of them and they seem to sound pretty good for the most part.

Great recap of Sunday. Wish I could have been.

I was at the Walworth County Fair on Sunday.

My review:

The chicken on a stick was good and I had to have a funnel cake. Cows, pigs, and goats were impressive also.

Lot's of MAGA hats. Lot's of white people.

Quote Originally Posted by Camelogue View Post
    Great recap of Sunday. Wish I could have been.

I was at the Walworth County Fair on Sunday.

My review:

The chicken on a stick was good and I had to have a funnel cake. Cows, pigs, and goats were impressive also.

Lot's of MAGA hats. Lot's of white people.
    Welcome to Cheeseville!

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ground and Sky's Ghost View Post
    I've been to every ProgDay since '97 and this year's Sunday was possibly the best since that first year convinced me to return every year. Felt bad for Farmhouse Odyssey not getting to play, but a lineup with Marbin, electric vibraphone, Keneally and West playing Mistakes songs and Morglbl wrapping things up? I swear that day was tailor made for me.

Has anyone mentioned Morglbl's cover of Purple Haze with Paul Sears on drums, Mike Keneally doing duet vocals with the fire twirling woman and some random little kid dancing his ass off on stage? That's the sort of thing that makes me love ProgDay.

I'll probably post more later - the wife and I went to the beach for a few days on the way home and trying to type this out on my antique cell phone is a huge pain. I'll just mention that as usual I did low-budget audience recordings that will eventually be put up on Dime a Dozen or otherwise made available to whoever wants them. I've listened to most of them and they seem to sound pretty good for the most part.
    I'd love arecording of the Us, Today set.
    Ian

I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Ground and Sky's Ghost View Post
    YOU MEAN THIS RANDOM LITTLE KID

NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!