Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 31

Thread: Thank You Scientist - Terraformer

  1. #1

    Thank You Scientist - Terraformer

    I think this will be my pick for album of the year. Incredible stuff. What are your thoughts?

  2. #2
    Member Top Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    N of Clearwater, Florida
    Posts
    1,434
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpyprogfan View Post
    I think this will be my pick for album of the year. Incredible stuff. What are your thoughts?
    I don't know, can we hear it?
    Soundcloud page: Open Window, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice Bandcamp: https://richardhermans.bandcamp.com

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Kalamazoo Michigan
    Posts
    3,590
    This band has come so far so fast. I agree it is really fantastic from beginning to end. The fact that it is a double album that stays so consistently good is pretty amazing. It is currently my #1 for the year as well. Saw them live a month or so ago too and they were fantastic. I have said this before, but I think if this band could get some exposure to the jam band crowd they could greatly increase their audience. I would think Umphry's McGee fans would eat these guys up if they were exposed to them.

  4. #4
    Member Kcrimso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Espoo, Finland
    Posts
    856
    I liked the previous album but was kind of disappointed with this new one.
    "A waste of talent and electricity." John Peel on ELP

  5. #5
    SteveSly the person who posted all those great reviews on the ZON? I am privilaged to be in your company. Cheers!

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    I liked the previous album but was kind of disappointed with this new one.
    This^

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Kalamazoo Michigan
    Posts
    3,590
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpyprogfan View Post
    SteveSly the person who posted all those great reviews on the ZON? I am privilaged to be in your company. Cheers!
    I have a ton of reviews on there, although have kind of slacked off the last few years.

  8. #8
    Member progholio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    st louis
    Posts
    560
    I picked up the vinyl version from one of their shows (groovy colored vinyl btw), i didn't get the download codes that were supposed to be included so i honestly haven't listened to the whole thing start to finish. Loved what i heard so far. A hugely talented bunch indeed!

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,451
    There's a lot going on with this music. I'm not sure how much I enjoy it though...
    Prog's Not Dead

  10. #10
    Member nosebone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Stamford, Ct.
    Posts
    1,022
    Very busy music.

    Getting a good stage mix must be difficult
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    27
    I get an early Mars Volta vibe from this album so yes, a lot going on to absorb.

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    13
    I like them a whole lot, probably one of my favorite current bands, but I find I have to be in a pretty specific mood to enjoy them. As busy and complex as their music is, itís not all that varied emotionally. I find almost all their music to be exciting and jubilant, so if Iím not feeling that way then their music can be almost abrasive.

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    605
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    This band has come so far so fast. I agree it is really fantastic from beginning to end. The fact that it is a double album that stays so consistently good is pretty amazing. It is currently my #1 for the year as well. Saw them live a month or so ago too and they were fantastic. I have said this before, but I think if this band could get some exposure to the jam band crowd they could greatly increase their audience. I would think Umphry's McGee fans would eat these guys up if they were exposed to them.
    That's an interesting take. Not sure I agree Steve. The majority of UM fans, and fans of jam/prog style bands in general, are college age, and really like to dance and get their groove on, and I don't believe that TYS would provide that for them.

    As to the new album. Not sure yet. Liked the first spin quite a bit, and then I played disc 1 in the car on the way to Progfest, and I didn't like it as much. I need a few more attentive spins, to decide.

    neil

  14. #14

  15. #15
    Member progholio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    st louis
    Posts
    560
    ^^^

    i just saw this, that's huge!!! and i just found out i have tix to Wilco on the same night dammit. might have to make a road trip.

  16. #16
    I guess TYS are not for everyone and that's cool. I wouldn't call the music busy, or too much going on. It has multiple layers with each musician playing a different part that fits together as a whole. Sort of like Gentle Giant.

  17. #17
    Ordinary Idiot Captain Geech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Weirdsville U.S.A
    Posts
    78
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpyprogfan View Post
    I guess TYS are not for everyone and that's cool. I wouldn't call the music busy, or too much going on. It has multiple layers with each musician playing a different part that fits together as a whole. Sort of like Gentle Giant.
    I think their music is pretty busy...but I wouldn't call it TOO busy. I find their musicianship to be off the charts excellent personally. Just got the new album this week and am still absorbing it. It may take a while, as most double albums do. I know for some, the singer can be a deal breaker. I find his voice to be quite unique, and fits the music well, not unlike Coheed and Cambria, who I also like a lot. It's good to see Thank You Scientist getting some love on here. Watched this today and though it was pretty cool:

    "And if Warhol's a genius, what am I? A speck of lint on the penis of an alien?"

  18. #18
    Member mnprogger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    695
    they just got confirmed to play ProgPowerUSA next year, lol.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Geech View Post
    I know for some, the singer can be a deal breaker. I find his voice to be quite unique, and fits the music well, not unlike Coheed and Cambria, who I also like a lot. It's good to see Thank You Scientist getting some love on here.
    I like his voice also. I don't care for Geddy Lee's or Peter Nicholls (IQ) voice, but that doesn't stop me from listening to their music. Rush is one of my favorite bands.

  20. #20
    This is a band I was not entirely familiar with although I'd heard the name quite a bit - I may have listened to a track or two in the past but I don't remember. I decided to listen to Terraformer to hear if there was anything that interested me.

    Right off the bat, there is a lot going on musically. I guess one could call it "busy" but I personally use the term "intricate". A lot crammed into every second of every song. The musicianship is top-grade and immediately noticeable. They are a tight group and my OCD appreciates that a lot. I don't know how much of the tightness is done in post-production, but I will listen to some live tracks later and see how they sound. My feeling is that they are probably a very tight live band. The production is really good with jazzy depth that I like. Busyness should be accompanied with good production otherwise it sounds "off" to me. I was especially listening to see how I would respond to hearing the vocals (since they were mentioned above) and I didn't hear anything that sounds out of place or unpleasant. Good singer who isn't doing too much considering the music itself is already the standout feature of the songs.

    I really like this. Not regular "it's good" enjoyment (I often feel this way with Magic Pie - another tight group), but genuine "Wow, this is excellent". I tend not to like the hard edge of bands that carry an influence of some metal or metal-fusion, but I feel that it doesn't negatively stand out for me here. I like this group and this album.

    Addendum after listening to album twice:

    Favorite song is "Anchor" although for me there are no tracks that I would skip over. As for the vocals, I like them quite a bit. They fit the music and lyrics well.
    Last edited by Splicer; 09-08-2019 at 12:58 PM.
    No matter what anyone says, you are the decider of how you will listen to music.

  21. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by Splicer View Post
    I really like this. Not regular "it's good" enjoyment (I often feel this way with Magic Pie - another tight group), but genuine "Wow, this is excellent". I tend not to like the hard edge of bands that carry an influence of some metal or metal-fusion, but I feel that it doesn't negatively stands out for me here. I like this group and this album.
    Glad you like it. I will have to revisit Magic Pie. I had their first album and thought it was ok. Maybe I will pick up their new release.

  22. #22
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Kalamazoo Michigan
    Posts
    3,590
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Geech View Post
    I think their music is pretty busy...but I wouldn't call it TOO busy. I find their musicianship to be off the charts excellent personally. Just got the new album this week and am still absorbing it. It may take a while, as most double albums do. I know for some, the singer can be a deal breaker. I find his voice to be quite unique, and fits the music well, not unlike Coheed and Cambria, who I also like a lot.w0[/video]
    Coheed have kind of taken TYS under their wing. TYS have toured as an opening act with Coheed and Cambria several times. I actually like TYS vocalist better than C&C's, but both can be an aquired taste.

  23. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Kalamazoo Michigan
    Posts
    3,590
    Quote Originally Posted by Splicer View Post
    A lot crammed into every second of every song. The musicianship is top-grade and immediately noticeable. They are a tight group and my OCD appreciates that a lot. I don't know how much of the tightness is done in post-production, but I will listen to some live tracks later and see how they sound.
    .

    I have seen them live 5 times and trust me, they can pull their studio sound off live. They are the real deal.

  24. #24
    Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Westchester, NY
    Posts
    9,655
    Quote Originally Posted by boilk View Post
    That's an interesting take. Not sure I agree Steve. The majority of UM fans, and fans of jam/prog style bands in general, are college age, and really like to dance and get their groove on, and I don't believe that TYS would provide that for them.
    But the singer dances around pretty much nonstop.

  25. #25
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    605
    Well, gave the new double-album another solid listen on a long drive, the other day. Definitely a lot to dig into. I find the second disc the best, and there are a couple of killer tracks at the end of disc one, including a killer instrumental. They seem to come up with a great instrumental on every release, incorporating wicked riffs and letting each player shine. All-in-all a very good release, with their most full and lush sounding production yet. This seems to help smooth out some of the chaotic, busy nature of the music. I never get why some people find the vocals a deal-breaker...they sound great to me.

    It does sadden me a bit, that one of the most talented, energetic and hard-working young, modern prog bands out there, still hasn't made it to a two-page thread, but there you go.

    For me at least, 2019 has been another year of super-solid releases, and this fits right in.

    neil

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •