Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thank You Scientist - Terraformer

Quote Originally Posted by boilk View Post
    Well, gave the new double-album another solid listen on a long drive, the other day. Definitely a lot to dig into. I find the second disc the best, and there are a couple of killer tracks at the end of disc one, including a killer instrumental. They seem to come up with a great instrumental on every release, incorporating wicked riffs and letting each player shine. All-in-all a very good release, with their most full and lush sounding production yet. This seems to help smooth out some of the chaotic, busy nature of the music. I never get why some people find the vocals a deal-breaker...they sound great to me.

It does sadden me a bit, that one of the most talented, energetic and hard-working young, modern prog bands out there, still hasn't made it to a two-page thread, but there you go.

For me at least, 2019 has been another year of super-solid releases, and this fits right in.

neil
    Thanks for the positive comments. It saddens me also that this great new prog band is going unnoticed. They deserve better.

Quote Originally Posted by boilk View Post
    Well, gave the new double-album another solid listen on a long drive, the other day. Definitely a lot to dig into. I find the second disc the best, and there are a couple of killer tracks at the end of disc one, including a killer instrumental. They seem to come up with a great instrumental on every release, incorporating wicked riffs and letting each player shine. All-in-all a very good release, with their most full and lush sounding production yet. This seems to help smooth out some of the chaotic, busy nature of the music. I never get why some people find the vocals a deal-breaker...they sound great to me.

It does sadden me a bit, that one of the most talented, energetic and hard-working young, modern prog bands out there, still hasn't made it to a two-page thread, but there you go.

For me at least, 2019 has been another year of super-solid releases, and this fits right in.

neil
    They did the instrumental live when I saw them back in July and just slayed it. They had a pretty good crowd at the gig, but I agree this band deserves better. They are actually coming back to my area in November, but I have tickets for Tool in Detroit that same night, so can't see them this time.

bump.

They covered Eddie Murphy's "Party All the Time"

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    Digging this big time. Saw them at the NJ Proghouse Homecoming few years back and they were great live.

Thank You Scientist - Terraformer

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpyprogfan View Post
    Thanks for the positive comments. It saddens me also that this great new prog band is going unnoticed. They deserve better.
    Define “unnoticed”. I mean, they’ve played every Prog festival (and are headlining RoSfest next year and have been on the Yes boat) despite not really marketing themselves as a Prog band and they’re currently headlining a well attended tour with Bent Knee and The Tea Club all around the USA. Not too shabby. If you mean they should all not have any other careers and should be buying houses with TYS money, I just don’t think we live in a world where that can happen anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mnprogger View Post
    bump.

They covered Eddie Murphy's "Party All the Time"

video made me laugh... Well done...

I saw TYS a week ago in South Burlington, VT at Higher Ground. Nice show and the band sounded great. I'm not sure how many were in attendance, but maybe about 100 people. Apparently they played the same venue several months ago and only 5 (!) people showed up.

I picked up Terraformer and their new EP Plague Accommodations. I've only been through the new EP once and have only gotten about 3 songs into Terraformer (not sure why I slept on this one for so long), but I like what I'm hearing. The great thing I noticed with Terraformer is the mix - it doesn't appear to be severely compressed like the first edition of Maps and even though there is a lot going on you can hear everything clearly.

Great to see they will be opening for Between The Buried And Me. Looks like some good things happening for them.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    Great to see they will be opening for Between The Buried And Me. Looks like some good things happening for them.
    That seems to have happened last year.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    For some reason I just heard about this recently too though. Can't remember where. I'd really like to see the band again. Did they play ProgDay? If they did it was one I wasn't there for. I've only seen them on CTTE. They were great.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    For some reason I just heard about this recently too though. Can't remember where. I'd really like to see the band again. Did they play ProgDay? If they did it was one I wasn't there for. I've only seen them on CTTE. They were great.
    They did play ProgDay in 2013. They blew my skull apart; I was hugely impressed.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post
    That seems to have happened last year.
    Did it? I just checked their Facebook page and they have a big banner showing all the 2023 dates. I wouldn't necessarily have noticed if they toured with BTBAM in the past though.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    Did it? I just checked their Facebook page and they have a big banner showing all the 2023 dates. I wouldn't necessarily have noticed if they toured with BTBAM in the past though.
    You're right. They toured last summer with BtBaM as well, thus my confusion.

They had also previously opened on tour with Coheed and Cambria. They went over pretty well with that crowd, but it has not substantially increased their profile. They certainly are talented, have worked hard and deserve to be bigger.

Neil
    Last edited by boilk; 03-11-2023 at 06:16 PM.

Glad to hear they've been part of these tours. Too bad it hasn't seemed to raise their profile more, although perhaps it did work somewhat at one venue.
    <sig out of order>

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    I picked up Terraformer upon release and have been revisiting prior to last night's show in Amherst. Great disc. Picked up their second last night.