Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thank You Scientist - Terraformer

Thank You Scientist - Terraformer

I think this will be my pick for album of the year. Incredible stuff. What are your thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpyprogfan View Post
    I think this will be my pick for album of the year. Incredible stuff. What are your thoughts?
    I don't know, can we hear it?
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

This band has come so far so fast. I agree it is really fantastic from beginning to end. The fact that it is a double album that stays so consistently good is pretty amazing. It is currently my #1 for the year as well. Saw them live a month or so ago too and they were fantastic. I have said this before, but I think if this band could get some exposure to the jam band crowd they could greatly increase their audience. I would think Umphry's McGee fans would eat these guys up if they were exposed to them.

I liked the previous album but was kind of disappointed with this new one.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

SteveSly the person who posted all those great reviews on the ZON? I am privilaged to be in your company. Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    I liked the previous album but was kind of disappointed with this new one.
    This^

SteveSly the person who posted all those great reviews on the ZON? I am privilaged to be in your company. Cheers!
    I have a ton of reviews on there, although have kind of slacked off the last few years.

I picked up the vinyl version from one of their shows (groovy colored vinyl btw), i didn't get the download codes that were supposed to be included so i honestly haven't listened to the whole thing start to finish. Loved what i heard so far. A hugely talented bunch indeed!

There's a lot going on with this music. I'm not sure how much I enjoy it though...
    The Prog Corner

Very busy music.

Getting a good stage mix must be difficult
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

I get an early Mars Volta vibe from this album so yes, a lot going on to absorb.

I like them a whole lot, probably one of my favorite current bands, but I find I have to be in a pretty specific mood to enjoy them. As busy and complex as their music is, it’s not all that varied emotionally. I find almost all their music to be exciting and jubilant, so if I’m not feeling that way then their music can be almost abrasive.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    This band has come so far so fast. I agree it is really fantastic from beginning to end. The fact that it is a double album that stays so consistently good is pretty amazing. It is currently my #1 for the year as well. Saw them live a month or so ago too and they were fantastic. I have said this before, but I think if this band could get some exposure to the jam band crowd they could greatly increase their audience. I would think Umphry's McGee fans would eat these guys up if they were exposed to them.
    That's an interesting take. Not sure I agree Steve. The majority of UM fans, and fans of jam/prog style bands in general, are college age, and really like to dance and get their groove on, and I don't believe that TYS would provide that for them.

As to the new album. Not sure yet. Liked the first spin quite a bit, and then I played disc 1 in the car on the way to Progfest, and I didn't like it as much. I need a few more attentive spins, to decide.

neil

^^^

i just saw this, that's huge!!! and i just found out i have tix to Wilco on the same night dammit. might have to make a road trip.

I guess TYS are not for everyone and that's cool. I wouldn't call the music busy, or too much going on. It has multiple layers with each musician playing a different part that fits together as a whole. Sort of like Gentle Giant.

I guess TYS are not for everyone and that's cool. I wouldn't call the music busy, or too much going on. It has multiple layers with each musician playing a different part that fits together as a whole. Sort of like Gentle Giant.
    I think their music is pretty busy...but I wouldn't call it TOO busy. I find their musicianship to be off the charts excellent personally. Just got the new album this week and am still absorbing it. It may take a while, as most double albums do. I know for some, the singer can be a deal breaker. I find his voice to be quite unique, and fits the music well, not unlike Coheed and Cambria, who I also like a lot. It's good to see Thank You Scientist getting some love on here. Watched this today and though it was pretty cool:

"And if Warhol's a genius, what am I? A speck of lint on the penis of an alien?"

they just got confirmed to play ProgPowerUSA next year, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Geech View Post
    I know for some, the singer can be a deal breaker. I find his voice to be quite unique, and fits the music well, not unlike Coheed and Cambria, who I also like a lot. It's good to see Thank You Scientist getting some love on here.
    I like his voice also. I don't care for Geddy Lee's or Peter Nicholls (IQ) voice, but that doesn't stop me from listening to their music. Rush is one of my favorite bands.

This is a band I was not entirely familiar with although I'd heard the name quite a bit - I may have listened to a track or two in the past but I don't remember. I decided to listen to Terraformer to hear if there was anything that interested me.

Right off the bat, there is a lot going on musically. I guess one could call it "busy" but I personally use the term "intricate". A lot crammed into every second of every song. The musicianship is top-grade and immediately noticeable. They are a tight group and my OCD appreciates that a lot. I don't know how much of the tightness is done in post-production, but I will listen to some live tracks later and see how they sound. My feeling is that they are probably a very tight live band. The production is really good with jazzy depth that I like. Busyness should be accompanied with good production otherwise it sounds "off" to me. I was especially listening to see how I would respond to hearing the vocals (since they were mentioned above) and I didn't hear anything that sounds out of place or unpleasant. Good singer who isn't doing too much considering the music itself is already the standout feature of the songs.

I really like this. Not regular "it's good" enjoyment (I often feel this way with Magic Pie - another tight group), but genuine "Wow, this is excellent". I tend not to like the hard edge of bands that carry an influence of some metal or metal-fusion, but I feel that it doesn't negatively stand out for me here. I like this group and this album.

Addendum after listening to album twice:

Favorite song is "Anchor" although for me there are no tracks that I would skip over. As for the vocals, I like them quite a bit. They fit the music and lyrics well.
    Last edited by Splicer; 09-08-2019 at 11:58 AM.
    Mongrel dog soils actor's feet

Quote Originally Posted by Splicer View Post
    I really like this. Not regular "it's good" enjoyment (I often feel this way with Magic Pie - another tight group), but genuine "Wow, this is excellent". I tend not to like the hard edge of bands that carry an influence of some metal or metal-fusion, but I feel that it doesn't negatively stands out for me here. I like this group and this album.
    Glad you like it. I will have to revisit Magic Pie. I had their first album and thought it was ok. Maybe I will pick up their new release.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Geech View Post
    I think their music is pretty busy...but I wouldn't call it TOO busy. I find their musicianship to be off the charts excellent personally. Just got the new album this week and am still absorbing it. It may take a while, as most double albums do. I know for some, the singer can be a deal breaker. I find his voice to be quite unique, and fits the music well, not unlike Coheed and Cambria, who I also like a lot.w0[/video]
    Coheed have kind of taken TYS under their wing. TYS have toured as an opening act with Coheed and Cambria several times. I actually like TYS vocalist better than C&C's, but both can be an aquired taste.

Quote Originally Posted by Splicer View Post
    A lot crammed into every second of every song. The musicianship is top-grade and immediately noticeable. They are a tight group and my OCD appreciates that a lot. I don't know how much of the tightness is done in post-production, but I will listen to some live tracks later and see how they sound.

I have seen them live 5 times and trust me, they can pull their studio sound off live. They are the real deal.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by boilk View Post
    That's an interesting take. Not sure I agree Steve. The majority of UM fans, and fans of jam/prog style bands in general, are college age, and really like to dance and get their groove on, and I don't believe that TYS would provide that for them.
    But the singer dances around pretty much nonstop.

Well, gave the new double-album another solid listen on a long drive, the other day. Definitely a lot to dig into. I find the second disc the best, and there are a couple of killer tracks at the end of disc one, including a killer instrumental. They seem to come up with a great instrumental on every release, incorporating wicked riffs and letting each player shine. All-in-all a very good release, with their most full and lush sounding production yet. This seems to help smooth out some of the chaotic, busy nature of the music. I never get why some people find the vocals a deal-breaker...they sound great to me.

It does sadden me a bit, that one of the most talented, energetic and hard-working young, modern prog bands out there, still hasn't made it to a two-page thread, but there you go.

For me at least, 2019 has been another year of super-solid releases, and this fits right in.

neil