Thread: "The Other Side of Rick Wakeman" DVD

"The Other Side of Rick Wakeman" DVD

I just ran across a sealed used copy of the above (2007), described as "an up-close and uproarious stand-up performance. Filmed live in front of a studio audience, the 'Grumpy' rock legend, composer and raconteur exposes a host of hilarious anecdotes and unknown escapades experienced during his Rock 'n' Roll career, including the first rehearsals with YES, his multi-marital life, amusing recording session memories, not least, his exposure in a Japanese toilet."

I enjoyed his "Grumpy Old Rock Star" memoir, so I'm hoping I'll like this too.

Anybody seen it?

Seen it and like it, but if you want to get into some really funny stuff, stuff that he won't relate in a show like that, read Rick's two autobiographical books, Grumpy Old Rock Star and Further Adventures of a Grumpy Old Rock Star. I hope he writes a third.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=rick+wake..._sb_ss_fb_1_18

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    I just ran across a sealed used copy of the above (2007)
    How can it be both sealed and used?
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Somebody owned it before, but never opened it. I bought it for 50% retail at Half-Price Books. I struggled with how to word that -- guess I failed.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    How can it be both sealed and used?
    It was owned by an old lady who sat it on her car seat, in order to help her see over the dash. Yes, she sat on it.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Somebody owned it before, but never opened it. I bought it for 50% retail at Half-Price Books. I struggled with how to word that -- guess I failed.
    Old new stock.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Maybe unsold stock, yes. It is twelve years old afterall.

I've bought cd's new and still sealed that were manufactured 20 years ago, proof if any was needed that few people are buying them these days.

In the retail world, second hand counts as used, whether or not it was actually "used." The exception would be if being unopened significantly boosts its value, as in a widely sought after record.

On the reverse side of the coin: in the early 1990s, I went to a rent to own store, thinking I would get a great deal on a rental return audio receiver. The guy quoted me the MSRP. "For used?!?" I asked him. He said, "You have to understand. Just because it's been rented before doesn't mean it's used." I told him, "Bulls***! If it's been in someone's house, and they used it, it's USED!" Then I walked out of the store.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Huh, I wasn’t expecting the show to be a series of solo piano pieces, with humorous introductions. It’s more piano than talking. Rick’s a fine piano player of course, but an hour&3/4 of nothing but piano reminds me of the album Robert Jan Stips did of piano solo. Even Supersister music got pretty repetitive on solo piano.

You should've checked out the back of the DVD, dude.