Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: MARILLION - Afraid Of Sunlight deluxe boxed set

MARILLION - Afraid Of Sunlight deluxe boxed set

cd1.jpg

... looks like the next in the series is Afraid Of Sunlight. Looking forward to hearing details on what's included with this one. Hopefully a nice live show from the tour. I always enjoy the interviews on these sets as well. Pre-orders next week.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Count me as very interested! Thanks for posting.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Awesome !! Saw them in Chicago on that tour, incredible performance.

One of my favorite Hogarth era Marillion albums.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    Yep. Get in line - Just before Brave!
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    Same. Love this album.

Ah man... this is my favorite of the Hogarth era albums. It was what truly made me a convert. Very much on board for this release.

My second favorite Hogarth after Brave. Sort of a cross between the mournful side and a hardier popier side.
    Mongrel dog soils actor's feet

Although this album is a classic because of 3 or 4 tracks that are among the very best of the H era, I never could call this one a masterpiece because of the Beach Boys and Phil Spector pastiches, and Beautiful which is nice but too blatant an attempt at a hit single.
    More like a lighter, more laid back version of Brave which is the true masterpiece IMO.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LeFrog View Post
    Although this album is a classic because of 3 or 4 tracks that are among the very best of the H era, I never could call this one a masterpiece because of the Beach Boys and Phil Spector pastiches, and Beautiful which is nice but too blatant an attempt at a hit single.
    More like a lighter, more laid back version of Brave which is the true masterpiece IMO.
    Cannibal Surf Babe of course has a few references to The Beach Boys, but IMO the song overall doesn't really sound like The Beach Boys and can't be considered a pastiche. Beyond You was recorded in the style of Phil Spector, but again really sounds more like a Marillion song than anything else, and a good one at that. Beautiful is a lot more than "nice" IMO. It's possibly my favorite song on the album.

Actually, the only songs on the album I have any problem with are fan-favorite Out of this World, which just plods on a bit too much, and the guitar solo isn't really a favorite of mine, and King, which I've just seen and heard them end with live a few too many times.

All the above just IMO of course. I too am looking forward to this new edition.

Perhaps the best album they did with Hogarth. I've even mellowed to 'Cannibal Surf Babe'.

'Beautiful' is a gorgeous song, and subtle enough that it avoids 'power ballad' territory. There's that one very 'poppy' keyboard sound just before Hogarth's vocal kicks in that I could live without though. It gives the wrong impression of what the rest of the song will be like, IMHO.

'Beyond You' crept up on me over the years, I think it's a really moving song. The direct homage to Phil Spector (even down to the mono mix) moves into much different territory than they tended to be pigeonholed into.

'King' is an extremely powerful ending, almost draining to listen to!

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    There's that one very 'poppy' keyboard sound just before Hogarth's vocal kicks in that I could live without though.
    Oh *that* keyboard line...

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    100% auto-buy
    Chad

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Perhaps the best album they did with Hogarth. I've even mellowed to 'Cannibal Surf Babe'.

'Beautiful' is a gorgeous song, and subtle enough that it avoids 'power ballad' territory. There's that one very 'poppy' keyboard sound just before Hogarth's vocal kicks in that I could live without though. It gives the wrong impression of what the rest of the song will be like, IMHO.
    If it's the keyboard sound I think you mean, it's an organ sound like maybe Hammond organ? (Not sure.) But I love the way it sounds like Procol Harum. For me it fits.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    If it's the keyboard sound I think you mean, it's an organ sound like maybe Hammond organ? (Not sure.) But I love the way it sounds like Procol Harum. For me it fits.
    I don't think that's the one. It's a very 80s sounding synth that only plays a few notes just before the vocals come in.

^Yes, that one. Should probably have been left out of the mix, made it seem very 80s power ballad when it isn't at all. If this set has a remix, perhaps there's a chance!

I think the closing minutes of 'King' might well be Marillion's all-time peak.

I checked a few YT videos and the Hammond organ sound JKL commented on can be heard in the intro, but it's in later live performances.
    I think the part everyone is referring to has a air/vocal sound to my ears, but I can't place the synth or sampler used. Didn't sound bad to me, but I still love 80's music anyway.
    I've always thought part of Mark Kelly's strong points is the fact, at least to me, he finds the perfect textures to color these wonderful songs Marillion write and record on albums.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

I think the closing minutes of 'King' might well be Marillion's all-time peak.
    Agree, firing on all cylinders there. I also feel that way about “The Invisible Man,” both give me the chills!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    -noisynoise
    www.polarizedguru.com - 5-piece jazz fusion group
    www.incandescentsky.com - inventive improvisational instrumental ensemble

King is amazing for sure. One of their best pieces. Oddly enough, the big highlight on this one for most people, Out Of This World, doesn't do much for me. I don't dislike it, but I find it a bit bland. It's something of a mystery to me why it is such a fan favourite and a stage classic (I've seen them play it quite a lot). After seeing it once or twice, I was always a bit disappointed when they started playing it after that. On the other hand, I think Beyond You is excellent.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Favorite Hogarth era-and perhaps even overall-Marillion album

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Out Of This World = atmosphere + build up. It's a fantastically evocative song with a powerful release, and is one of the very best in their catalog. Highly regarded and rightly so.

There’s several noteworthy moments on this disc, but I think Gazpacho might just be my favorite Marillion song above any other.

When Pete’s bass comes in at the start of the first chorus, it’s bone-rattling. Absolutely wonderful moment, and one that I get chills just thinking about.

Any word if SW is involved with this one? I'm guessing not..

My God, the first three notes of the Out of solo!

Never understood the love for King. Stadium Rock?