Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: MARILLION - Afraid Of Sunlight deluxe boxed set

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    What, you think I just wanted to fondle two copies at once? Come to think of it...

I have an extra sealed copy of this, with the signed print, if anyone in the US wants one at a savings. I f’d up and ordered it twice!
    How much do you want for it with shipping?

Quote Originally Posted by The Czar View Post
    How much do you want for it with shipping?
    Just remember.......it’s been Pre-Fondled!
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Garyhead View Post
    Just remember.......it’s been Pre-Fondled!
    #AoS Too

Actually, it's soon to be fondled by someone else, as it has already been claimed.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I received my copy today. What a great value - absolutely beautiful. I'll frame with signed poster, like I did for Brave.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

US release date is November 15th.
    Oh well, that is better for me than November 1st

Quote Originally Posted by ytserush View Post
    Can't speak for you, but it sure as hell was for me...for the live concert alone.
    Agree.

My God, Hotel Hobbies on that one! Amazing!

The eons are closing
    #AoS Too

Actually, it's soon to be fondled by someone else, as it has already been claimed.
    Sloppy Fondling..... Well, it takes all kinds ...
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

To those of you that have it, do you recommend it and why?

IMO...
    - more dynamics in the mix in both the orchestration and the audio levels
    - new 2019 remix no longer sounds scooped to me, not that the original mix was bad, this may be the mastering and not the EQ used during mixdown of the original mix???
    "Why is it when these great Prog guys get together, they always want to make a Journey album?"
    - fiberman, 7/5/2015

Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Nice review! Watching the documentary now.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Ordered and Í can't wait. My favourite Marillion album.

Quote Originally Posted by Hour Candle View Post
    To those of you that have it, do you recommend it and why?
    When I open it I'll let you know. With Friends From the Orchestra has really been grabbing my attention of late. Rothery just flat out amazes me.

What, you think I just wanted to fondle two copies at once? Come to think of it...
    I can do that with Misplaced and Clutching as I needed to have all of the signatories.

Got it today.
    Initial response is that the back speakers are not utilized as much as they could have been.
    But overall the 5.1 is a good mix, just that there could have been a little more creativity in the panning.
    The stereo mix should be really good ...

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    This full live set from Rotterdam is outstanding. What a setlist too!
    Chad

Quote Originally Posted by Nearfest2 View Post
    I can tell you from experience (as I was at this gig) that it did not sound like that in the hall. Ahoy is imfamous for being a pretty shitty sounding arena (although the Amsterdam Arena is even worse). This was also one last really big arena type shows Marillion has ever done, shortly after this tour the band got 'dropped' by EMI and a slow process of reinvention was about to begin. It would take them quite a few years to find themselves again because for quite a while it looked like the band would slowly wither away. Not so much creatively (as I do like the albums that came out in this period i.e. This Strange Engine, Interior Lulu and Radiation) but it was a period of very uneven live shows. I believe it all started to turn around when they totally took affairs into their own hands including management that they found their live mojo back.

I don't doubt it. The soundboard is a magical thing!

I am not a big fan of the three albums that follow AOS (btw, I think you mean "marillion.com" and "Interior Lulu"). I liked much of "Anoraknophobia" (despite the album cover) and loved "Marbles." Since then, I haven't been gripped by any of their albums, though I like a lot of Disc 2 of "Happiness is the Road." I feel a lot of the last two albums has been overly long, melancholy droning (that's an exaggeration, of course, but nothing has stood out for me). I have zero interest in the orchestral album.
    Chad

I got this for my birthday from my dad and the two of us put the remix on his nice speakers.

The album stopped me in my tracks at several points. The "And now we stand here you and I, either side of the edge..." section of "Out of this World" is about 5 times as powerful as I recall. I was so taken with this section my wife asked me "what's wrong?" as she caught my thousand-yard stare.

What an incredible record. Probably my favorite of theirs. Only Marbles gets close.

Fish era Marillion was one of the first prog bands I got into, but Fish doesn't speak to me on nearly the same level anymore. The Hogarth era has lyrics that are simpler but just as strong.

Their slower stuff can get mumbly, but that doesn't bother me. A lot of indie I enjoy does that on every other song, and there are no complaints there. To me, modern Marillion began with Brave--a blend of Talk Talk, Jeff Buckley, and prog. Everything before that seems like excellent juvenelia.

Quote Originally Posted by bigjohnwayne View Post
    I got this for my birthday from my dad and the two of us put the remix on his nice speakers.

What an incredible record. Probably my favorite of theirs. Only Marbles gets close.

Fish era Marillion was one of the first prog bands I got into, but Fish doesn't speak to me on nearly the same level anymore. The Hogarth era has lyrics that are simpler but just as strong.
    Ditto! Big time. But I'd pick Brave for number one!

Quote Originally Posted by bigjohnwayne View Post

To me, modern Marillion began with Brave--a blend of Talk Talk, Jeff Buckley, and prog. Everything before that seems like excellent juvenelia.
    Very well said and I completely agree on all points.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Ditto! Big time. But I'd pick Brave for number one!
    I'll third that and the "Brave" thing.
    Chad

Quote Originally Posted by Nearfest2 View Post
    Sure is. Much better than I expected it to be. It's the highlight of the package along with the unreleased demos.

Have little use for the studio tracks when the live versions are so much better. Who knew I would ever like any version of Cannibal Surf Babe but that Rotterdam performance is almost pretty cool. Hell...even Hard As Love is tolerable.

The doc is pretty cool too.