Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: MARILLION - Afraid Of Sunlight deluxe boxed set

MARILLION - Afraid Of Sunlight deluxe boxed set

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    That's the way I see it.
    Cut “Hard As Love” & “Paper Lies” and you guys have a point that Brave is better than AOS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 3RDegree_Robert View Post
    Cut “Hard As Love” & “Paper Lies” and you guys have a point that Brave is better than AOS.
    Paper Lies, I agree is the weak spot on the album, although it's okay. Would have been better IMO as a standalone track on a different album - maybe AOS, in fact.

Hard As Love is great! Love that track.
    Prog, Metal and Classic rock reviews/interviews - www.velvetthunder.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by 3RDegree_Robert View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Weird -- I love both of those tracks.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Paper Lies, I agree is the weak spot on the album, although it's okay. Would have been better IMO as a standalone track on a different album - maybe AOS, in fact.

Hard As Love is great! Love that track.
    Agreed.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I’m not a big fan of either of those two songs. I wish they fit the tone of the overall album better. But they could be worse. I also find Made Again to be pretty sappy and usually just skip it.

Made Again is, to me, the perfect come down and take a deep breath time that follows the intensity of what preceded.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I love every note on Brave!!
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound.

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I also find Made Again to be pretty sappy
    And that's why it was the song my wife and I had played for our first dance at our wedding.
    Chad

Made Again is one of my favorite tracks from Brave. It reminds me of "And You And I". Love it.

I think Brave was groundbreaking for Marillion, used to be one of my favorites. Never read the lyrics, just put some candles out and let it take you down a musical journey.
    But the damn movie ruined it for me, I was so pissed I threw the DVD out. By the end of the movie I was so depressed from the imagery and content I couldn't listen anymore. The images with the songs were so burned into my brain, I no longer could close my eyes and just listen to the music.
    Wasn't until they performed Brave in it's entirety and I got the DVD did I recover a bit.

I think Marbles was another marker in their history where Marillion really put it all out there.
    Soundcloud page: Open Window, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    So, was the deluxe set of Clutching at Straws worth the expense? I see there are still copies available on the band's website.
    Can't speak for you, but it sure as hell was for me...for the live concert alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Nearfest2 View Post
    And that's why it was the song my wife and I had played for our first dance at our wedding.
    Ours was Fish's Cliche. (Her idea.)

Even 10 years ago I would have passed on this one like I did with Brave (have the two CD reissues) because King was the only song that ever did anything for me. But at this point about half of the tracks have grown on me so while while I'm probably less enthused about this Marillion reissue than the rest of them, I still pre-ordered.

There should be enough here to enjoy without feeling like I'd wasted my money.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    So, was the deluxe set of Clutching at Straws worth the expense? I see there are still copies available on the band's website.
    I believe I saw a post from Marillion on Facebook, that Clutching at Straws received the Best Reissue Reward at the recent Prog Awards the other night.
    Soundcloud page: Open Window, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice

Doh! Well, yeah, you can't be dancing to Hooks in You or He Knows You Know!

Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    I believe I saw a post from Marillion on Facebook, that Clutching at Straws received the Best Reissue Reward at the recent Prog Awards the other night.
    Yep! Kind of funny: willing an award for releasing the same album you already released before. I wonder if PROG even considers reissues that aren't in a box!

RE: the Brave movie, I really disliked it too. It was an unenjoyable experience of having someone else's visualization of an album imposed on me.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I love every note on Brave!!
    same.

I actually had one of the Groomsman read a quote from Made Again at my wedding ceremony.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    RE: the Brave movie, I really disliked it too. It was an unenjoyable experience of having someone else's visualization of an album imposed on me.
    Yes EXACTLY! great definition of how I felt.

As much as I love Marillion, AoS is my favourite album from them. Of course I will be getting this

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    I listened to the 5.1 mix on Saturday night. Very nice. Great album for surround sound. The documentary has some really good insights into the meanings of each song as well.
    Last edited by Nearfest2; 2 Weeks Ago at 09:49 AM.
    Chad

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I listened to the 5.1 mix on Saturday night. Very night. Great album for surround sound. The documentary has some really good insights into the meanings of each song as well.
    Cool. I got my shipping notice this week. Really looking forward to spinning it. Glad you like it.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound.

I have an extra sealed copy of this, with the signed print, if anyone in the US wants one at a savings. I f’d up and ordered it twice!

^ Hmm...

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    ^ Hmm...
    What, you think I just wanted to fondle two copies at once? Come to think of it...