Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: MARILLION - Afraid Of Sunlight deluxe boxed set

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dok View Post
    Any word if SW is involved with this one? I'm guessing not..
    It’s not Wislon. I forget who’s doing it.

Had a listen to Beautiful, and now I know what keyboard sound some object to. Never bothered me, but now it probably will!

aith01, I’m with you on Gazpacho! One possible reason Out of this World doesn’t do it for me is that I’d never heard of Bluebird and it’s driver, and despite the band’s later involvement with raising the boat, performing the song at a memorial, etc., I think driving a boat to fast is not a smart thing to do. Whereas rowing a boat across an ocean is awesome!

I’m listening to the remastered AoS now so I’ll give OotW another chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Attachment 13320Looking forward to hearing details on what's included with this one. Hopefully a nice live show from the tour. I always enjoy the interviews on these sets as well. Pre-orders next week.
    Only details I have read are: "4CD/Blu-ray Deluxe Edition Of the Band’s Acclaimed Eighth Studio Album Includes New Mixes, Unheard Studio Outtakes, Unreleased Live Tracks, Plus A New Documentary And Interviews With The Band About The Album"

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    Only details I have read are: "4CD/Blu-ray Deluxe Edition Of the Band’s Acclaimed Eighth Studio Album Includes New Mixes, Unheard Studio Outtakes, Unreleased Live Tracks, Plus A New Documentary And Interviews With The Band About The Album"
    “Unheard Studio outtakes” would have to be stuff not on the 1999 remaster bonus disk or the Making of CD, which I think is 2CDs. Hope they aren’t just scraping the bottom of the barrel!

Just tried putting the "enhanced" bonus disk from the 1999 remaster into my laptop's CD/DVD player but no luck! Looks like I'd need Quicktime. This always ticks me off - it had a hidden track on it, but I don't remember what it was.

Regarding Cannibal Surf Babe:

I was at the Dutch Marillion fanclub meeting tagging along with a friend who was a member at the time. It would be the first opportunity to hear the full album in a listening session (at least 2 over the whole day I believe) over the PA in the venue (the infamous Tivoli club in Utrecht, nowadays known as Kytopia). Most of the attendants where pleased after the first song but then came Cannibal Surf Babe and I have never seen a group of people looking so bemused, dissorientated and some even almost hostile after having heard the song. I can say I pretty much liked it from the first time I heard it and over the day I got to like it even more. The more people at that meeting seemed to hate it the more I started to defend it. It proved to me that Marillion was, at least to their core audience, pushing boundaries / trying new stuff. I also did get the Brian Wilson reference pretty quickly both lyrically (Mr. Wilson where is your sandbox and your beard) and musically (the glissando keyboard thing).

It was only after the release of the album and having read some interviews with the band I realised that all of this fitted in with the overaching theme of the album which dealing with fallen heroes (OJ Simpson, Brian Wilson, Donald Campbell, Elvis Presley, Phil Spector, Kurt Cobain), celebrity culture and the pitfalls of success.

A bit off topic, but it's funny you mention Brian Wilson since lately I've been on a Brian Wilson obsessive rediscovery of his genius and music. Mostly with Pet Sounds and Smile since in 1966 I began my service with the US Air Force and by the summer of 66 I was assigned for 13 mos in S. Korea. Although I had access to the hits from Pet Sounds I never had the whole album, and Smile, well we all know how that got filed away by Brian when after months he couldn't work on it anymore, and shortly afterwards went into his downward spiral.
    I've been watching all the documentaries on both periods and albums and I realize more and more what a genius musically he is/was and what a tortured soul he also was. The abuse from his father was a large part of his mental issues and depression.
    But in spite of it all he remains a gentle soul, and his love of music and his writing only wishes to bring love through music to his listeners.
    We watched Pet Sounds live in London over the weekend, and what a triumph to see where Brian is today versus those "bad" years, a survivor and he still continues to deal with his problems, but he made it through all the drugs, abuse, therapy and remains a positive person only wishing to share love to the world.

I kind of disagree tho in lumping him in with Simpson and Spector who are stone cold murderers, where the others you listed had issues from their childhood which led to their drug/alcohol abuse.
    And I don't think Brian's fall was due to his celebrity, as he never mentions that as a cause in the interviews I've watched, but yes, the celebrity culture is a lot of what that song is about.
    As always, it's just my personal opinion and yours may vary.

Thanks for sharing the great story about the Marillion listening party and the reaction from fans.
    Soundcloud page: Open Window, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice

^ I'd say Brian fits in alongside Curt Cobain and Elvis, who I think are also hinted at on the album. I really like the song - I can get why some don't, but I like its weirdness.

I wonder if there were scenes similar to what Christian described at listening parties for This Strange Engine when they heard "Hope for the Future?" I like that song too, and the words to it are also pretty weird.

Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    I kind of disagree tho in lumping him in with Simpson and Spector who are stone cold murderers, where the others you listed had issues from their childhood which led to their drug/alcohol abuse.
    Being pedantic, Spector wasn't a murderer in 1995. But to be sure, he was still not someone I'd ever have wanted to deal with, as brilliant as those records were/are.

I think that specific part in 'Beyond You' with Hogarth singing 'I'm not much of a man...' and that riff kicks in is another of their greatest ever moments. I wish they'd have dwelled more on that section in the song, if anything.

I feel this 1994/5 period was the band's best- tighter and more disciplined than what followed when they went independent (IMHO). Brave took longer to get under my skin but it definitely did.

I always felt this "fallen idols" concept was made up after the fact to try and tie together an album which is mostly made-up of stand-alone songs.
    There's nothing wrong with that and that concept doesn't really hang together IMO.
    Not just a Genesis fanboy.

Quote Originally Posted by 3RDegree_Robert View Post
    Favorite Hogarth era-and perhaps even overall-Marillion album
    Agreed.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisXymphonia View Post
    Regarding Cannibal Surf Babe:

It was only after the release of the album and having read some interviews with the band I realised that all of this fitted in with the overaching theme of the album which dealing with fallen heroes (OJ Simpson, Brian Wilson, Donald Campbell, Elvis Presley, Phil Spector, Kurt Cobain), celebrity culture and the pitfalls of success.
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    ^ I'd say Brian fits in alongside Curt Cobain and Elvis, who I think are also hinted at on the album. I really like the song - I can get why some don't, but I like its weirdness.

I kind of agree with that suggestion, but Brian survived while both Curt and Elvis did not. Having watched Brian's spiral into drugs and mental illness, he could've very easily been amongst the great one's we've lost. But watching these concerts of him performing as late as 2016(Brian Wilson and Friends) and Beach Boys 50th Reunion, it's a joy to see him singing and performing and the light in his eyes again.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    Being pedantic, Spector wasn't a murderer in 1995.
    I'm sorry JJ, when I posted I thought I had quoted Chris because his comment that I have quoted here is what I was responding to.
    Soundcloud page: Open Window, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice

This thread prompted me to listen to the album for the first time in quite a while. It's still as great as I remembered it but Cannibal Surf Babe is really at odds with the rest, I still can't bring myself to like it. What were they thinking ?

Afraid Of Sunlight is probably my favourite Marillion album but I think will take a pass on this box. I don't think there is anything wrong with the mix of original version so remix does no seem so appetising thing. And for some reason Marillion live stuff usually don't excite me on record even though they are really good when actually seeing them in concert.

About "Cannibal Surf Babe": not among my biggest favourites on the album but I like it!
    "A waste of talent and electricity." John Peel on ELP

Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    Afraid Of Sunlight is probably my favourite Marillion album but I think will take a pass on this box. I don't think there is anything wrong with the mix of original version so remix does no seem so appetising thing. And for some reason Marillion live stuff usually don't excite me on record even though they are really good when actually seeing them in concert.
    Same here. And I'm not a big fan of Michael Hunter's work with Marillion.
    And yet AOS is one of my favourite albums by any artist. A perfect combination of songs with an underlying theme that doesn't feel like a forced concept.
    A lot of strong moments that people here have already mentioned. I will add the beginning of Beyond You. Listening to the first minutes of that song has always been a kind of mystical experience for me. The production choice really contributes to this.

It is a fantastic album, but I will not be getting this. The original cd is more than strong enough still to enjoy, and I have a pile of live stuff already.

I did get the Crimson LTIA box set, but, as a rule, I am not tempted by these. I spend enough on original products.

E-mail from Racket this morning:

As you may know, Warner Music are in the process of releasing the 8 studio albums from our EMI days in Deluxe Editions.

They have already released Misplaced Childhood, Brave and Clutching at Straws and now we’re very pleased to announce Afraid of Sunlight has been given the same treatment.

The Afraid of Sunlight Deluxe Editions are a 4CD/Blu-ray set and a five-LP box.

Both collections open with a new version of Afraid of Sunlight that was remixed earlier this year by the wonderful Michael Hunter. The CD/Blu-ray set also includes the original mix by the album's original producer Dave Meegan.

Both sets also have a live recording of Marillion performing at the Rotterdam Ahoy Arena on September 29, 1995 during the tour supporting Afraid of Sunlight. Six of the songs were originally released in 1996 on the double live album Made Again.

The Blu-ray features several versions of Michael Hunter's new mix (48/24 LPCM Stereo; 48/24 DTS 5.1; 48/24 LPCM 5.1).

Video content includes a new documentary about Afraid of Sunlight featuring interviews with the whole band and the promo film for "Beautiful".

The Blu-ray disc also collects the nine bonus recordings from the remastered edition of the album that was released in 1999, plus 17 previously unreleased songs that include studio jams and early versions of Afraid of Sunlight tracks like "Beyond You", "King", "Out Of This World" and "Beautiful".

It is available to pre-order now and we will be hand signing a special A4 sized print for anyone who orders from us (limited to the first 4000 orders).

Release date is November 1st 2019.
    Prog, Metal and Classic rock reviews/interviews - www.velvetthunder.co.uk

I just preordered it. But does anyone know if there is any overlap between the demos and outtakes on this and those on the Making Of 2CD set that was released?

wrote this review a few years back for my fb blog. i will never probably tire of forever rubbing in just how and why this is the mighty MARiLLiON’s best ever album bar none. period.

MARiLLiON | “Afraid of Sunlight” | EMI

Challenge: let’s review the best Marillion album of the lot without sounding overtly fanboyish. Tough one. Everyone who knows me also knows that I worship this band. Ah well, it had to happen sometime. Making some sort of confident “best album“ statement requires years of critical listening. I remember well when this one was released in 1995, one short year after the relative commercial failure of “Brave” (their grand artistic statement by design) – apparently knocked out on record company orders to finally finish up their long running association with EMI. It was slipped out onto the market rather indifferently; there was little or no marketing and a general feeling prevailed that band and business had slowly lost interest in it all, with Brit Pop on the doorstep and time being too early yet for an 80’s revival to help things further (although potentially ruinous for the type of band Marillion had become).

I also have some memories of the concert on the tour, which, although well attended, boasted a somewhat bleak atmosphere before showtime – in contrast to fans on earlier tours – even with the odd painted face here and there – who would spontaneously break into one of the band’s much loved cult classics, there was a general feeling that this may well be the last time to see these five Oxfordshire lads do what they do best. Needless to say that the boys went on to little or no fanfare at all, played an absolute blinder for over two hours, performed the odd exorcism along the way, brought their new material to life and once and for all proved, that their time under the sun was not quite up yet.

Enough of that. Let’s talk about “Afraid of Sunlight”. Yes, it’s their finest effort to date. Why the superlative? After the relative hodgepodge of Steve Hogarth’s band debut "Season’s End" (albeit good! h however came in late during the creative process it only yielded two fully collaborated songs), the overtly commercial "Holidays in Eden" (probably on record company orders), another swing into the opposite direction on "Brave" (forever stalling their relationship with record labels), which has “masterpiece” stamped all over it but at times sounds like they were trying too hard for their own good, we have this one, which finally has the Hogarth-fronted band sounding like themselves. All of this when facing an uncertain future, their contract with EMI about to run out and relatively unsure of their place in modern music (read the liner notes on the remaster version).

It probably must have amazed the band themselves how much staying power these songs would prove to have and in turn become true concert staples for them. There is nothing comparable to seeing Marillion end a concert with that orgasmic wall of sound in "King" and attempting not to be moved to tears by the sheer emotiveness of the title track. And "Cannibal Surf Babe" was a long overdue middle finger to all the naysayers that started to scream abuse at any nod into uncharted territory as if their favourite toy had been confiscated. Apart from the ballad-type “Beautiful“ which ended up a tad too saccharine, there is not a single weak track on this one. Fifty minutes of sheer bliss without a note too many or too little. Meisterwerk, desert island disc, call it what you will – it's their best and in a way every one of the many albums that followed is somehow a derivative, with 2004’s “Marbles” a very close runner-up and their absolute nadir “Somewhere Else” (2007) from which, in all truthfulness, they have yet to full recover. I rest my case.

Quote Originally Posted by LeFrog View Post
    This thread prompted me to listen to the album for the first time in quite a while. It's still as great as I remembered it but Cannibal Surf Babe is really at odds with the rest, I still can't bring myself to like it. What were they thinking ?
    It's a great song. What are you thinking?

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I listened to the album twice this weekend. Easter is one of the strongest songs the band ever wrote! There are several high points on Afraid Of Sunlight! I didn't hesitate pre-ordering the deluxe box.

Afraid of Sunlight is just a hair below Brave but it's a fierce competitor.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post

Afraid of Sunlight is just a hair below Brave but it's a fierce competitor.
    That's the way I see it.
    "If you want to see the true nature of humanity, just look at the internet."

http://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection

So, was the deluxe set of Clutching at Straws worth the expense? I see there are still copies available on the band's website.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I listened to the album twice this weekend. Easter is one of the strongest songs the band ever wrote!
    Easter is on Seasons End. 🤗

Quote Originally Posted by lazland View Post
    It is a fantastic album, but I will not be getting this. The original cd is more than strong enough still to enjoy, and I have a pile of live stuff already.

I did get the Crimson LTIA box set, but, as a rule, I am not tempted by these. I spend enough on original products.
    Agreed. Love the album, but I've got the previous 2CD version. What's extra here isn't tempting me.

Obviously there is an economic logic to such releases (and I'm talking for all acts, not just Marillion) and there are many deluxe re-issues I do get, but I increasingly feel like such releases can be less about the content and more about wanting to participate in a celebration of the album.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    I increasingly feel like such releases can be less about the content and more about wanting to participate in a celebration of the album.
    I pretty much agree with that statement, Henry. I bought the Brave deluxe edition because it is one of my favourite albums by anyone, but I can't say I was particularly enticed by the bonus content, wheter it was the SW remix (nothing wrong with the original mix to these ears) or the live tracks. Hearing the album in 5.1 must be quite an experience but I don't own a system.
    Not just a Genesis fanboy.