Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Book about Hawkwind & The 1970s

Book about Hawkwind & The 1970s

Hi Guys. Please excuse the self-promotion, but I just wanted to let you know about the book I've written on Hawkwind and the 1970s, due to be published in November. It's a very deep dive into the band's music of that period, plus lots on Hawkwind's connection with the various music, underground and science fiction subcultures of the time. Includes lots of interviews and unseen pics.

Along with the paperback edition, there's going to be a limited hardback Special Edition which will include an extra book of interviews and a couple of other goodies. It will be limited to 500 copies and pre-orders for it go live TOMORROW (yes, August 29, 50 years to the day that Group X played their first gig) at www.strangeattractor.co.uk

Here's the official announcement, but let me know if you have any questions. Oh, and please feel free to share and tell any Hawkfans you know who aren't on this forum. Thanks!

HAWKWIND: DAYS OF THE UNDERGROUND – RADICAL ESCAPISM IN THE AGE OF PARANOIA
    Joe Banks
    500 pages (approx.), heavily illustrated in colour and b&w
    To be published November 2019

The limited SPECIAL EDITION of this book will be available to pre-order from THURSDAY 29 AUGUST at the Strange Attractor website – www.strangeattractor.co.uk

Avatars of the underground, figureheads of the free festival scene, and heralds of punk, Hawkwind were one of the bands that defined the 1970s. At the height of their artistic and commercial powers, Hawkwind channelled and amplified the era’s psychic tenor via a science fiction sensibility, mind-blowing visuals, and their unique brand of deep space psychedelia.

As well as being an in-depth primer to the music of their classic years, Days Of The Underground explores the ideas and concepts that fuelled Hawkwind during this period, and speaks to the crew that manned the ship.

The book’s cover will be illustrated by Hawkwind artist John Coulthart.

The Special Edition of the book will be in hardback, limited to 500 copies, signed by the author, and include the following additional items:

Sideways Through Time: An Oral History Of Hawkwind In The 1970s – a 200 page companion volume of interviews, including DikMik, Nik Turner, Michael Moorcock, Stacia Blake, Alan Powell, Paul Rudolph, Adrian Shaw, Paul Hayles, Harvey Bainbridge, Andrew Lauder, Doug Smith, Jeff Dexter, Jonathan Smeeton, Renée Berg, Michael Butterworth, and Pamela Townley (Robert Calvert’s second wife)

A print of Michael Moorcock & Jim Cawthorn’s ‘Sonic Assassins’ comic strip from Frendz

Postcards featuring unseen pictures from the ‘Space Ritual’ photo shoot by Laurie Lewis

The price of the Special Edition will be £50 and is only available via Strange Attractor. The standard edition will be in paperback and available throughout the known universe.

Pre-orders for Hawkwind: Days Of The Underground are now live! Go here (in nothing else, to see John Coulthart's wonderful cover art): http://strangeattractor.co.uk/shoppe...e-underground/

Quote Originally Posted by JoeBanks View Post
    Hi Guys. Please excuse the self-promotion, but I just wanted to let you know about the book I've written on Hawkwind and the 1970s, due to be published in November. It's a very deep dive into the band's music of that period, plus lots on Hawkwind's connection with the various music, underground and science fiction subcultures of the time. Includes lots of interviews and unseen pics.

Along with the paperback edition, there's going to be a limited hardback Special Edition which will include an extra book of interviews and a couple of other goodies. It will be limited to 500 copies and pre-orders for it go live TOMORROW (yes, August 29, 50 years to the day that Group X played their first gig) at www.strangeattractor.co.uk

Here's the official announcement, but let me know if you have any questions. Oh, and please feel free to share and tell any Hawkfans you know who aren't on this forum. Thanks!

HAWKWIND: DAYS OF THE UNDERGROUND – RADICAL ESCAPISM IN THE AGE OF PARANOIA
    Joe Banks
    500 pages (approx.), heavily illustrated in colour and b&w
    To be published November 2019

The limited SPECIAL EDITION of this book will be available to pre-order from THURSDAY 29 AUGUST at the Strange Attractor website – www.strangeattractor.co.uk

Avatars of the underground, figureheads of the free festival scene, and heralds of punk, Hawkwind were one of the bands that defined the 1970s. At the height of their artistic and commercial powers, Hawkwind channelled and amplified the era’s psychic tenor via a science fiction sensibility, mind-blowing visuals, and their unique brand of deep space psychedelia.

As well as being an in-depth primer to the music of their classic years, Days Of The Underground explores the ideas and concepts that fuelled Hawkwind during this period, and speaks to the crew that manned the ship.

The book’s cover will be illustrated by Hawkwind artist John Coulthart.

The Special Edition of the book will be in hardback, limited to 500 copies, signed by the author, and include the following additional items:

Sideways Through Time: An Oral History Of Hawkwind In The 1970s – a 200 page companion volume of interviews, including DikMik, Nik Turner, Michael Moorcock, Stacia Blake, Alan Powell, Paul Rudolph, Adrian Shaw, Paul Hayles, Harvey Bainbridge, Andrew Lauder, Doug Smith, Jeff Dexter, Jonathan Smeeton, Renée Berg, Michael Butterworth, and Pamela Townley (Robert Calvert’s second wife)

A print of Michael Moorcock & Jim Cawthorn’s ‘Sonic Assassins’ comic strip from Frendz

Postcards featuring unseen pictures from the ‘Space Ritual’ photo shoot by Laurie Lewis

The price of the Special Edition will be £50 and is only available via Strange Attractor. The standard edition will be in paperback and available throughout the known universe.

Looks great ! Ordered the posh version.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Sounds interesting! Does the book examine all the albums from that period in some detail?

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Sounds interesting! Does the book examine all the albums from that period in some detail?
    Absolutely, track by track. It also covers every non-album track and related solo stuff ;-)

plus lots on Hawkwind's connection with the various music, underground and science fiction subcultures of the time.
    This is right up my alley! I've always been interested in the overlap between subcultures in this time frame, and with sci-fi in particular. I've been on a bit of a Hawkwind binge lately too, and you've made me realize how little I actually know about a band that's had me glued to a bean bag for years. The cover art and typeset are absolutely electrifying and I can't wait to read it. Thank you.

Thanks - that really is the main aim of the book, to connect the music with what was happening in the 1970s. To say that it was such a turbulent period in world history (unfortunately, a bit like today!), there were surprisingly few bands/artists that really tried to channel the 'spirit of the age' like Hawkwind did (until arguably punk turned up)

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Amazon has the release date for the paperback as Jan 14th.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Amazon has the release date for the paperback as Jan 14th.
    Yes, trying to get that sorted out!

The book now has its own website ;-) https://www.daysoftheunderground.com/

And if you'd like to 'try before you buy', you can read a short extract from it right here... https://www.daysoftheunderground.com/extract

Any chance of a Kindle edition?

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Any chance of a Kindle edition?
    I believe there will be an electronic version available nearer the publication date...

I've never even opened the Saga Of Hawkwind book by Carol Clerk, bougth some 12/14 years ago....

Not sure I want to read it anymore, as my interest for the band has been next to nil anymore (if you except Stacia) for the last decade.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Did you use Nigel Cross' essay as a point of reference, Joe? I believe that one single article made wonders in bringing about a certain historical attention to the Ladbroke Grove scene.

https://www.terrascope.co.uk/Features/LadbrokeGrove.htm
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    I've never even opened the Saga Of Hawkwind book by Carol Clerk, bougth some 12/14 years ago....

Not sure I want to read it anymore, as my interest for the band has been next to nil anymore (if you except Stacia) for the last decade.
    Well, if you just liked their first ten years, this is the book for you... I certainly understand losing touch with the band, though they've definitely gone through a bit of a resurgence over the past few years.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Did you use Nigel Cross' essay as a point of reference, Joe? I believe that one single article made wonders in bringing about a certain historical attention to the Ladbroke Grove scene.

https://www.terrascope.co.uk/Features/LadbrokeGrove.htm
    Yes I did ;-) Originally issued as the sleeve notes to comp album Cries From The Midnight Circus. You might also be interested in this: http://www.faojc.com/hawk-walk/

The release date for this book has now passed. Has anyone had an update sent to them? Some communication would be welcome.
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

Quote Originally Posted by Garyhead View Post
    The release date for this book has now passed. Has anyone had an update sent to them? Some communication would be welcome.
    Hi there, many apologies, people who have pre-ordered should have received a message from the publisher. Unfortunately, due to some technical issues, the book won't be out now until early 2020. Really sorry if it was intended as a Xmas gift, but these are circumstances outside my control... Joe

What is the exchange rate to American dollars. A friend likes Hawkwind and I might get him a copy.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    What is the exchange rate to American dollars. A friend likes Hawkwind and I might get him a copy.
    The book should be available directly in the US, as it is being distributed by MIT press.

Just ordered from Amazon!

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Marsh View Post
    Just ordered from Amazon!
    I only saw paperback.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    I only saw paperback.
    Ah, the special edition hardback is only available from Strange Attractor - http://strangeattractor.co.uk/shoppe...e-underground/ If you contact them directly, they will advise re US price/shipping.