Thread: RIP KFOG San Francisco

RIP KFOG San Francisco

The times, they are a-changin'. KFOG in San Francisco, one of the few "progressive" rock radio stations left on the west coast is shutting down. They're going to become a simulcast for a local sports station (also owned by sCumulus).

Starting in 1982, KFOG spearheaded a sort of modern alternative format that was a throwback to the 60s/70s era of free-form FM radio with longer tracks or deep cuts sitting side by side with more mainstream rock. I can still remember visiting my sister in the Bay Area when I was on a college scouting trip in 1983. I stumbled on this station that played the Moody Blues followed by Yes' "Starship Trooper" (probably followed by U2 or something.) Coming from the straight-jacketed SoCal radio market it was a psychedelic breath of fresh air, and so very "left coast."

But since millennials probably wouldn't know what to do with a radio if you gave them one I'm not too surprised by this news.

RIP, KFOG. Thanks for many, many hours of listening pleasure.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    RIP, KFOG. I didn't know there were stations as late as 1982 playing free-form FM radio. What a loss to NorCal. I know SoCal radio has been dead for decades, but back in the '70s I used to listen to the now-long-defunct KMET in Los Angeles. I miss it. The station, not the city. These days I only sometimes use radio in the car because the tape player often screws up, as tape players do. I used to complain about the repetitive nature of the small playlist on each of four similar rock stations, but now I would settle for getting the DJs to STFU and play some music, any music, even if it is the same old song. FM radio now seems chattier and more irritating than AM used to be.

I used to only listen to sports radio when here was a game on that I didn't want to miss, and I had no choice but to be driving. I have never had a use for sports radio when there is no game on. Like watching paint dry, only louder. Even then, it wasn't as bad as watching ESPN when there is no game on. These days, I know that there are no important games. It's only the sound of money rolling into the wrong hands.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

They've been bad for a long time now. No loss, I'm sorry to say. They were pretty good in the 80s. Loved M Dung!
    I only listen to college radio (KALX, KZSU), KCSM (jazz) and KQED.

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    Still, it is an end of an era. RIP KFOG.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

They havent been good since the sorta format change in 2016. I actually listen to sports talk radio so being able to hear that station in FM as opposed to AM will be cool, but not worth the benefit of losing another music format.
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

I’m old enough to remember when they were still a “beautiful music” [read: Muzak] station.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Dayum.

I'm old enough to remember when they were "The Bay Area's Record Collection" and played true freeform. Also, if I recall correctly, broadcast King Biscuit and Doctor Demento.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    Dayum.

I'm old enough to remember when they were "The Bay Area's Record Collection" and played true freeform. Also, if I recall correctly, broadcast King Biscuit and Doctor Demento.
    That's right! I used to live in San Jose as a kid and if I held my Walkman just right, I could pick up Dr Demento on Sunday nights.

Proud Member since 2/2002 UnderAGlassMoon's Avatar
    RIP KFOG, radio just isn't what it used to be.

However, I recently moved to Tucson, AZ and was pleasantly surprised to find an HD radio station called KLPX-Deep Cuts. The main station is just basic classic rock. Although a lot of what they play, I would not consider "deep cuts". I have been almost shocked at some of the stuff they play, including but not limited to:

King Crimson- In the Court of the Crimson King and 21st Century Schizoid Man
    Genesis- Supper's Ready, The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway, Carpet Crawlers
    Yes- Close To The Edge, And You and I, Yours is No Disgrace, Wonderous Stories
    Pink Floyd- Echoes, Pigs, Childhood's End, Fearless
    Rush-2112(the entire song), La Villa Strangiato

I know there are some more, I just can't remember them all. Most of what they play is pretty mainstream classic rock stuff, but every once and while they will pull out a gem.
    Eric: "What the hell Hutch, it's all Rush, what if we wanted a little variety?"

Hutch: "Rush is variety, Bitch! Rule number one: in my van, its Rush! All Rush, all the time...no exceptions."

From "Fanboys" 2009.

Quote Originally Posted by rapidfirerob View Post
    They've been bad for a long time now. No loss, I'm sorry to say. They were pretty good in the 80s. Loved M Dung!
    Yeah, M Dung was a wild and crazy guy. I think that finally caught up with him when they gave him the morning show and he just couldn't deal with getting up at 4 AM!

But yeah, I haven't listened to KFOG in years. Even before the 2016 changes they started shying away from playing anything obscure (I remember back in the mid 80s you could almost set your clock to when the live version of "Cinema Show" would go out every Saturday at 1 PM) in favor of milquetoast folk rockers like Jack Johnson (hurl) or party bands like Hootie and the Blowfish/Dave Matthews. Gotta keep those chicks listenin'...
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

This leaves The Bone (KSAN/107.7) as the only listenable rock station in the Bay Area...

I'm listening to KLPX right now over Das Web. Pretty good selections so far...
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

KFOG will be missed. Prior to 2016 had such eclectic playlists for a big station. Many hours I enjoyed. Thanks, KFOG

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    Yeah, M Dung was a wild and crazy guy. I think that finally caught up with him when they gave him the morning show and he just couldn't deal with getting up at 4 AM!

But yeah, I haven't listened to KFOG in years. Even before the 2016 changes they started shying away from playing anything obscure (I remember back in the mid 80s you could almost set your clock to when the live version of "Cinema Show" would go out every Saturday at 1 PM) in favor of milquetoast folk rockers like Jack Johnson (hurl) or party bands like Hootie and the Blowfish/Dave Matthews. Gotta keep those chicks listenin'...
    Smoke Two Joints came on at 5 on Fridays!