Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Pink Floyd "The Later Years: 1987-2019" 17-disc box set 11/29/2019

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    Welcome to the Machine is on CD 3.

DSOT video included a few additional songs but also omitted a number of tunes if memory serves.
    According to Wikipedia :

(1) about the audio release :

The concerts also featured the following songs which were not included on the album:

"Signs of Life" *
    "A New Machine"
    "Terminal Frost"
    "On the Run" *
    "The Great Gig in the Sky" *
    "Welcome to the Machine"
    "One Slip" *

Songs with asterisk (*) are included in the video version.
    (2) about the video release :

The following songs which were part of the 1988 set were not included in the film:

"Yet Another Movie" *
    "Round and Around" *
    "A New Machine"
    "Terminal Frost"
    "Welcome to the Machine"
    "Money" (PAL version) *
    "Another Brick in the Wall (Part 2)" *

Songs with asterisk (*) are included in the album version.
    Calyx (Canterbury Scene) - http://www.calyx-canterbury.fr
    Legends In Their Own Lunchtime (blog) - https://canterburyscene.wordpress.com/
    My latest books : "Yes" (2017) - https://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/yes/ + "L'Ecole de Canterbury" (2016) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/lecoledecanterbury/ + "King Crimson" (2012/updated 2018) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/kingcrimson/
    Canterbury & prog interviews - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdf...IUPxUMA/videos

Thanks...I wrote the above quickly whilst getting ready for work and didn't have time to find the particulars

I still have the DSOT VHS tape from years ago. Wore it out in fact. In addition to the above, some of the songs are edited down - for example, I believe the middle section of "Learning to Fly" has been shorted in the live video.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Thanks...I wrote the above quickly whilst getting ready for work and didn't have time to find the particulars

I still have the DSOT VHS tape from years ago. Wore it out in fact. In addition to the above, some of the songs are edited down - for example, I believe the middle section of "Learning to Fly" has been shorted in the live video.
    They cut a big chunk out of the ride out solo in Comfortably Numb. As I recall, on the album, it's something like 8 and a half minutes long, but on the video, it's only like 6 minutes. Another thing I always remember about that video is the montage of shots of Guy Pratt playing different basses during his Money solo.

Folks who thought Mr. Pratt slapped up Echoes too much probably aren't going to be terribly happy when they hear his interpretation of Tony Levin's stick work on One Slip
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

It's too bad, since this is all Post-Waters Floyd... that it couldn't be arranged to have the "Live 8" reunion from 2005 in there. That's really a glaring omission to an archive of later years Floyd.

Folks who thought Mr. Pratt slapped up Echoes too much probably aren't going to be terribly happy when they hear his interpretation of Tony Levin's stick work on One Slip
    I actually like what he did with the One Slip solo.

So did I, although based on a few recordings I heard on YT I don't think I have an issue with what he did on Echoes either.

So did I, although based on a few recordings I heard on YT I don't think I have an issue with what he did on Echoes either.
    Yeah, I don't remember disagreeable about the Philly version of Echoes (which I haven't listened to in ages, admittedly).

Now, what they did Money during that era, with the backup singers doing those "Woo-woo" riffs, and the drum fill after each couplet of the verse, I didn't care for. And I didn't care for Scott Page's need to grunt and moan his way through every solo he had, especially on Us And Them.

Watching Pulse again, I still don't really like 'Take It Back' (generic stadium rock) or 'Coming Back To Life' (ploddy, Gilmour obviously likes it though) but for whatever reason 'Keep Talking' seems to have grown on me! Maybe it's just better live.

Quote Originally Posted by Tangram View Post
    Thanks for the info, checked the my blu-rays of the 3 boxes I have and all is well.
    Looks like replacement discs are coming for those who were affected (one of my discs is definitely showing signs):

http://www.brain-damage.co.uk/latest...programme.html

I might go for the Later Years Highlights - just 1 cd at a reasonable price and includes this remix:

I wonder if they'll release the whole of the AMLOR album remix separately though, or did I miss something?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    I might go for the Later Years Highlights - just 1 cd at a reasonable price and includes this remix:

I wonder if they'll release the whole of the AMLOR album remix separately though, or did I miss something?
    That remix does not sound spectacularly different from the original although it obviously has a different drum track by Mason and an additional Hammond organ part by Wright.

I don't think it was supposed to sound 'spectacularly' different. Just with less 80s sheen and a sound that sounded more like Mason and Wright were part of things. I think it works though it might be a little too clean now. I'm definitley hearing parts I didn't before. Like that Leslied guitar part under the chorus. It's makes me curious to hear the rest of the album. No way I'm buying that box though!

'One Slip' is not a very good song in the first place IMHO. That and 'Dogs Of War' are two I've never liked. They've always felt like weak outtakes from About Face at its most 'stadium rock', rather than sounding very much like 'Pink Floyd'.

As for this new mix, to be honest I can't tell from these speakers. It does obviously sound different but better? Not sure about that...a bit more cramped sounding than the original. To be honest if I want versions of these songs with better drums and Wright, I'd turn to live recordings from the tour. This track was only on the Delicate Sound... VHS, granted, but most of the best ALMOR songs were on the original 2cd Delicate Sound...

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    'One Slip' is not a very good song in the first place IMHO. That and 'Dogs Of War' are two I've never liked. They've always felt like weak outtakes from About Face at its most 'stadium rock', rather than sounding very much like 'Pink Floyd'.

As for this new mix, to be honest I can't tell from these speakers. It does obviously sound different but better? Not sure about that...a bit more cramped sounding than the original. To be honest if I want versions of these songs with better drums and Wright, I'd turn to live recordings from the tour. This track was only on the Delicate Sound... VHS, granted, but most of the best ALMOR songs were on the original 2cd Delicate Sound...
    Well, I've compared the APLOR version on youtube and this one, by listening to sections alternatively... The new version is actually much less offensive and aggressive, mostly due to the drums being lowered in the mix, but the song remains crud (like the rest of the album). So in a way, the remix (and over-dubbing) is successful as far as drums are concerned. In two comparative listens (that's all I could withstand), I must admit I haven't heard what changed in terms of keyboards, because it's difficult to concentrate on the original version, given the horrible dominance of those gated drums. But it's clear that mixing the drums down opens more space for the rest of the instruments, and Rick's organ parts around the fourth minute mark are clearly more audible in the new version as opposed to whoever's (Carin, maybe, but was it even a real organ?) in the original version.

Sooo from this one experience, I'd say that the new version is indeed a vast improvement in sonics (given what my computer installation - nothing special - is able to play me), but it doesn't help the bad songwriting, just transforming it from totally insufferable (Z+) to barely sufferable (D-).

Hopefully, there will be other remixed APLOR songs posted to further the comparison.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Here's a question: Given that there's almost universal distaste for AMLOR as a "Pink Floyd" release would you have liked this song, or AMLOR, if it was released under Gilmour's name instead of Pink Floyd?
    I've got a bike you can ride it if you like

Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    Here's a question: Given that there's almost universal distaste for AMLOR as a "Pink Floyd" release would you have liked this song, or AMLOR, if it was released under Gilmour's name instead of Pink Floyd?
    It's a bad album, does it matter what name appears on it?
    For the record I really like Gilmour's s/t and On An Island.

Quote Originally Posted by flytomars View Post
    It's a bad album, does it matter what name appears on it?
    For the record I really like Gilmour's s/t and On An Island.

It's an atrocious Floyd album (some will say the same for TFC), whether remixed or not, but the remixed version of AMLOR could make it an OK Gilmour solo album (which is essentially what it is), if the rest of the remix is doing the same result as for that track; no worse than About Face.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I don't share the 'universal distaste'. I think the rest of the album is fine. Just not those two songs. As I said they feel like the weaker moments of About Face- 'Blue Light' and the like. And Gilmour digs out that 'grunting' vocal on 'The Dogs Of War' that he used on 'All Lovers Are Deranged'.

The rest of the album does sound enough like Pink Floyd. Indeed it's been claimed earlier sessions saw songs rejected because they 'didn't sound Pink Floyd enough'.

The Division Bell is better, helped by less '80s' sound. The first half or so and 'High Hopes' are really special. But again there are a few weaker tracks in this stadium vein.

I really like AMLOR (apart from the awful Dogs Of War), Sorrow is one of my fave Floyd tracks, Terminal Frost & On The Turning Away I really love too. Perhaps because it was only my 2nd Floyd album I don't have the same experience as most here. If they would release the remix as a stand alone issue I would buy it for sure but I guess they want us to buy the box set or the Highlights cd first, then they can sell it to us again!

Perhaps there's a perception of some "universal distaste" based on the number of 'hate posts', but it's important to note that the person who has written the most posts in this thread is an unabashed Gilmour hater. So don't just count the number of posts hating on AMLOR; one must consider the source of the hate posts.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    I don't share the 'universal distaste'. I think the rest of the album is fine. Just not those two songs. As I said they feel like the weaker moments of About Face- 'Blue Light' and the like. And Gilmour digs out that 'grunting' vocal on 'The Dogs Of War' that he used on 'All Lovers Are Deranged'.

The rest of the album does sound enough like Pink Floyd. Indeed it's been claimed earlier sessions saw songs rejected because they 'didn't sound Pink Floyd enough'.

The Division Bell is better, helped by less '80s' sound. The first half or so and 'High Hopes' are really special. But again there are a few weaker tracks in this stadium vein.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    I really like AMLOR (apart from the awful Dogs Of War), Sorrow is one of my fave Floyd tracks, Terminal Frost & On The Turning Away I really love too. Perhaps because it was only my 2nd Floyd album I don't have the same experience as most here. If they would release the remix as a stand alone issue I would buy it for sure but I guess they want us to buy the box set or the Highlights cd first, then they can sell it to us again!
    I agree with you guys and the others in this thread that AMLOR is not a bad album at all. Perhaps it's one of the weaker albums in the Pink Floyd canon but that doesn't make it a bad album. Dogs Of War and the music-less A New Machine are the ones I skip when listening. The rest is enjoyable.
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Here's thing... I'm fucking sick of Dark Side through The Wall. They are the most overplayed albums in their catalog and are the bulk of every tribute show and jam. I mean YOU HAVE to play that stuff. I get it. But it's impossible to escape. People going to a show expect it because those are arguably their best albums. But familiarity breeds contempt and I am to that point. So to me, the albums before and after that are much more preferable. So what if AMLOR is a glorified Dave album? If you don't like the tunes, fine. But it's not "bad". The second side in particular has some of the coolest music in their catalog. For some reason the Division Bell didn't age as well for me. At least on AMLOR they were trying new things. On DB it sounds like the have songs that parody past glories. High Hiopes is the high point because it isn't a straight up rehash. Still, I'd play AMLOR first...

I would certainly prefer to listen to AMLOR as opposed to the morose reiteration of The Wall known appropriately as The Final Cut.
    "And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

I find AMLOR and TFC to be bookends of sorts. One shows Floyd with Roger in the drivers' seat, the other, David. It's interesting when writing teams eventually split, stop sharing a vision and go their own separate ways. A similar thing happened in Kansas. Their Steve Walsh-driven Freaks of Nature is a similar yin/yang situation with it's Kerry Livgren-driven follow up, Somewhere to Elsewhere. All offer interesting "alternate realities" to what made their bands famous and great originally.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    For some reason the Division Bell didn't age as well for me. At least on AMLOR they were trying new things. On DB it sounds like the have songs that parody past glories. High Hiopes is the high point because it isn't a straight up rehash. Still, I'd play AMLOR first...
    I'd rather the intro of 'What Do You Want From Me' had been different. The song itself isn't particularly like 'Have A Cigar', but the intro is...too much so.

The songs on The Division Bell I didn't care for are 'Take It Back' and 'Coming Back To Life'. The former especially is just U2-lite. Gilmour obviously likes the latter because he keeps playing it live. I don't, I'm afraid, and I find it a bit dreary. 'Lost For Words' is a nothing song. It's memorable only for the terribly clunky 'go fuck myself' lyric, only outdone for awfulness in the Floyd canon by the later 'diss each other on sight'.

I have come around to 'Keep Talking', at least in its Pulse incarnation.