Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Pink Floyd "The Later Years: 1987-2019" 17-disc box set 11/29/2019

I listened sampler today. New version of Sorrow is pretty lame. I prefer easily the original one which I think is also the best song on A Momentary Lapse Of Reason.

I was also suprised how weak all the Delicate Sound Of Thunder stuff was. Not very energetic that band was it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "A waste of talent and electricity." John Peel on ELP

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    No you don't. But you can't seem to let go of bombarding this thread repeatedly. Is it OCD?
    I predicted it!

He can't stop taking shots at any Pink Floyd that doesn't include his "imaginary lover" Waters
    Last edited by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER; 12-03-2019 at 04:51 PM.
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by Valen View Post
    I picked up the single cd sampler and spent the weekend comparing the remixes against the originals.

You can read more on my blog review here:
    https://momentstransition.wordpress....s-cd1987-2019/
    I also picked this up, especially because I'm not interested in the box. This is simply not my favourite PF-period.
    I like the way Rick Wright sounds in the ouverture of Shine On from Knebworth 1990.
    the Marooned Jam is nice and so is the early version of High Hopes.

Finally it's too bad they didn't make it something like Echoes where all tracks are mixed into each other, making it a different kind of compilation.

Quote Originally Posted by Nearfest2 View Post
    Reading your review now... You do realize that there are Immersion box sets for DSOTM and WYWH, right?
    Which are out of print.

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Which are out of print.
    Not the point.

You can still get them both "new" on Amazon for a great price...

DSOTM
    https://www.amazon.com/Dark-Side-Moo...s%2C125&sr=8-1

WYWH
    https://www.amazon.com/Wish-You-Were...5467839&sr=8-1
    Chad

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Dooooh, now I get it....

I thought the boxset was out already for a few weeks already. But it's for Dec 13.
    FYI, they were originally to be released on the same date, but (and this has been common this season!) production delays pushed it back to December 13.

Me. Iím glad, as I was able to get the Giant box review in, Nad am wrapping the Floyd set review tomorrow, to run this weekend. They sent advances of the 5 CDs, and access to a private Vimeo page, password protected, for all the video content. Frankly, Iíve been enjoying the heck out of it all, considering it wasnít my fave period.

Theyíd become a somewhat different band, but man, did they ever know how to do things on a grand scale.
    John Kelman
    Senior Contributor, All About Jazz since 2004
    Freelance writer/photographer

I picked up the single cd sampler and spent the weekend comparing the remixes against the originals.

You can read more on my blog review here:
    https://momentstransition.wordpress....s-cd1987-2019/
    My full review will be up this weekend, but a quick comment, or, rather, a few:
    1. Mason didn’t play much drums on the original AMLoR because he’d not been playing and wasn’t in shape. So he focused more on sonics and electronics. Now, decades later, he added his own kit, largely replacing Keltner and Appice. You can hear the diff. Even Keltner (I think it’s him on the original) a simple but groove-meister of a player if ever there was one (one of my favourites), he slightly busier than Mason, so when you hear the original bass drum triplets early in Learning to Fly...now, with Mason’s parts, simpler still, you know he’s been replaced.
    2. The same apparently applies to Wright. Plus legal issues meant he couldn’t be brought back, at the time, as a full band member. Anyway, the added Rhodes on Learning to Fly, more dominant, I like. Ditto the Leslie-driven organ that’s more dominant on Dogs of War. Like Mason, he’s no virtuoso, but his instincts for tone and wonderfully simple lines more than make up for it, in the context of Floyd.

There are a lot of changes on AMLoR...some overt, some subtle. At times, you could listen to both versions and, if not paying attention, not notice any differences...but pay more attention, and they’re there.

Is it better? That’s subjective. I didn’t really like some of the ‘80s drums machines and synth tones, but the new mix overall feels more balanced to me.

In a nutshell: I like it.

As for DSoT? Sounds fine on my home system and also on my DAP with my Westone IEMs. Louder, yes, but still dynamic enough and hey, it’s a live album, in an arena, so a different experience.

Just FYI, I went into the Giant box review a committed fan. I’ve gone into the Floyd box as less of one for this period, but wanted to see if it could make me like it more.

It did. The CD content is a small part of the box, don’t forget. The high res stuff on Blu ray - whether audio only or video - is stellar. I was surprised to see DSOT was a widescreen film, whereas Venice, Knebworth and Pulse were 4:3. Still, the restorations on DSOT and Pulse are great, and hearing the sound uncompressed in 24/96 or 24/48 sound is a major bonus...of course that’s only on Blu Ray. DVDs are 16/48.

A lot of the bonus videos are watch once, but the 30 I Ute video with the Pulse production team was a revelation, and the film about the Promtional airships announcing the Division Bell tour was shorter but equally interesting/informative. And the new film for Endless River is wonderful...suitably atmospheric, impressionistic...

I think where Floyd misses the boat (though I’ve not been sent a PDF of the 60 page book, just the smaller one in the CD), is (as was true with Early Years) their overlooking fans’ desire to get some good reading material. They could have hired a good writer to document things, even if they’ve already been well covered, I’m sure someone could bring some new perspectives.

So for me, without giving the review away? I like the box, but would have liked it more if it had come with some good documentation.
    Last edited by jkelman; 12-04-2019 at 10:05 PM.
    John Kelman

Not the point.

You can still get them both "new" on Amazon for a great price...

DSOTM
    https://www.amazon.com/Dark-Side-Moo...s%2C125&sr=8-1

WYWH
    https://www.amazon.com/Wish-You-Were...5467839&sr=8-1
    (Emily Lintilla mode) Oh. Never mind. (Emily Lintilla mode off)

Hmm that's weird, I could have sworn a couple years ago, when I was finally working again, and had some money again, I looked these things up, they were going for hundreds of dollars. Coloured me surprised (and reasonably happy).

Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post
    My full review will be up this weekend, but a quick comment, or, rather, a few:
    1. Mason didn’t play much drums on the original AMLoR because he’d not been playing and wasn’t in shape. So he focused more on sonics and electronics. Now, decades later, he added his own kit, largely replacing Keltner and Appice. You can hear the diff. Even Keltner (I think it’s him on the original) a simple but groove-meister of a player if ever there was one (one of my favourites), he slightly busier than Mason, so when you hear the original bass drum triplets early in Learning to Fly...now, with Mason’s parts, simpler still, you know he’s been replaced.
    2. The same apparently applies to Wright. Plus legal issues meant he couldn’t be brought back, at the time, as a full band member. Anyway, the added Rhodes on Learning to Fly, more dominant, I like. Ditto the Leslie-driven organ that’s more dominant on Dogs of War. Like Mason, he’s no virtuoso, but his instincts for tone and wonderfully simple lines more than make up for it, in the context of Floyd.

There are a lot of changes on AMLoR...some overt, some subtle. At times, you could listen to both versions and, if not paying attention, not notice any differences...but pay more attention, and they’re there.

Is it better? That’s subjective. I didn’t really like some of the ‘80s drums machines and synth tones, but the new mix overall feels more balanced to me.

In a nutshell: I like it.

As for DSoT? Sounds fine on my home system and also on my DAP with my Westone IEMs. Louder, yes, but still dynamic enough and hey, it’s a live album, in an arena, so a different experience.

Just FYI, I went into the Giant box review a committed fan. I’ve gone into the Floyd box as less of one for this period, but wanted to see if it could make me like it more.

It did. The CD content is a small part of the box, don’t forget. The high res stuff on Blu ray - whether audio only or video - is stellar. I was surprised to see DSOT was a widescreen film, whereas Venice, Knebworth and Pulse were 4:3. Still, the restorations on DSOT and Pulse are great, and hearing the sound uncompressed in 24/96 or 24/48 sound is a major bonus...of course that’s only on Blu Ray. DVDs are 16/48.

A lot of the bonus videos are watch once, but the 30 I Ute video with the Pulse production team was a revelation, and the film about the Promtional airships announcing the Division Bell tour was shorter but equally interesting/informative. And the new film for Endless River is wonderful...suitably atmospheric, impressionistic...

I think where Floyd misses the boat (though I’ve not been sent a PDF of the 60 page book, just the smaller one in the CD), is (as was true with Early Years) their overlooking fans’ desire to get some good reading material. They could have hired a good writer to document things, even if they’ve already been well covered, I’m sure someone could bring some new perspectives.

So for me, without giving the review away? I like the box, but would have liked it more if it had come with some good documentation.
    If those are your "quick comments", I'd better brew up a pot of coffee for the full expose

Looking forward to reading it.

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Hmm that's weird, I could have sworn a couple years ago, when I was finally working again, and had some money again, I looked these things up, they were going for hundreds of dollars. Coloured me surprised (and reasonably happy).
    Yeah, those prices are crazy low.
    Chad

If those are your "quick comments", I'd better brew up a pot of coffee for the full expose
    I think thatís pretty much a given

That said, it was submitted today, and will run Sunday. Compared to the 23,000 word Giant review, itíll be a relative breeze door ya at just under 13,000.

The good news? My finished copy of the Floyd box arrived yesterday, so I now have access to all the contents, specifically the printed material.

I will say this: compared to the early years box, they learned. ItĒs big, but not filled with space. In fact, itís pretty much full to the brim. I like a lot about how they did it. Even the Blu day and DVD discs, each in their own gatefold sleeve, is in a protective plastic mini-sleeve. The CDs are in a hardcover style ho,der, the book inside containing all the detailed track, personnel and production info, the tour guides and Lyric book are kept together in one section, above the hardcover photo book and the envelope with the two singles, posters and other memorabilia.

The box is, I think 13Ēx13Ēx3Ē, so will fit on a shelf, no problem.

So I think they did a way better job on the design and packaging, than the eealy years box. Itís expensive, but they didnít go cheap on the whole thing.

Looking forward to reading it.
    Thanks. Dunno if people will agree, but immersing myself in the box Iíve found myself warming much more to this era of the band. My favourite albums remain Meddle, followed by Animals, Obscured by Clouds, Aton Heart Mother, Dark Side of the Moon, Ummagumma and Wish You Were Here, pretty much in that order. But Iíd place the material in this box ahead of The Wall and The Final Cut, and even ahead of Saucerful of Secrets, More and Piper at the Gates (I wasnít, blasphemy though it is, much of a Barrett fan). And it might actually move ahead of Wish You Were Here and Dark Side, if only because the music I like from those albums are done here in concert, and I was never much of a Waters fan as a bassist or singer (more liked him as a writer).

So Iíd say my esteem for this has moved up thanks to the box.
    John Kelman

Yeah, those prices are crazy low.
    I have heard that a lot of the "immersion" product from the 3rd party resellers is pirated. The presence of pirate copies may have also kept bona fide product prices lower, and, yes, those used to be much much higher as per GG's comments above. But I would order only from a seller you know on these.

Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post
    I think that’s pretty much a given

That said, it was submitted today, and will run Sunday. Compared to the 23,000 word Giant review, it’ll be a relative breeze door ya at just under 13,000.

Thanks. Dunno if people will agree, but immersing myself in the box I’ve found myself warming much more to this era of the band. My favourite albums remain Meddle, followed by Animals, Obscured by Clouds, Aton Heart Mother, Dark Side of the Moon, Ummagumma and Wish You Were Here, pretty much in that order. But I’d place the material in this box ahead of The Wall and The Final Cut, and even ahead of Saucerful of Secrets, More and Piper at the Gates (I wasn’t, blasphemy though it is, much of a Barrett fan). And it might actually move ahead of Wish You Were Here and Dark Side, if only because the music I like from those albums are done here in concert, and I was never much of a Waters fan as a bassist or singer (more liked him as a writer).

So I’d say my esteem for this has moved up thanks to the box.
    That's exactly how I felt after exploring the Early Years sets, which I bought individually. Meddle/DSOTM/WYW are probably always going to be the highlights for me, but I find myself more drawn to the 1969-72 period these days, thanks to that set.

I've never had a problem with the 1987-95 period, but I just felt less drawn to it, as it felt a little more slick and less experimental. (Mind you, that didn't stop me from raging when the BBC brought forward the broadcast of Pulse to the night before it was scheduled and I missed a chance to vhs it....).

Your full-scale review is excellent and answers all the questions [although you might want to run a spell-check on "Knebworth" - minor error but big festival event ].

I'm not sure I can justify that huge outlay in one go, at least for now. Hopefully, they'll reissue it in books like the Early Years and I can perhaps cherry pick then.

I'll share your review across my groups on FB.

That's exactly how I felt after exploring the Early Years sets, which I bought individually. Meddle/DSOTM/WYW are probably always going to be the highlights for me, but I find myself more drawn to the 1969-72 period these days, thanks to that set.

I've never had a problem with the 1987-95 period, but I just felt less drawn to it, as it felt a little more slick and less experimental. (Mind you, that didn't stop me from raging when the BBC brought forward the broadcast of Pulse to the night before it was scheduled and I missed a chance to vhs it....).

Your full-scale review is excellent and answers all the questions [although you might want to run a spell-check on "Knebworth" - minor error but big festival event ].

I'm not sure I can justify that huge outlay in one go, at least for now. Hopefully, they'll reissue it in books like the Early Years and I can perhaps cherry pick then.

I'll share your review across my groups on FB.
    Many thanks for reading, for the kind words...and for the catch,which Iíll fix when Iím outta bed. Dammit, I thought I caught (thought of? ) everything!
    John Kelman

In case anyone is still on the fence about this set and isn't already sick of reading about it, I put up an overlong, detailed look at it on my web site:

http://eichler.byethost11.com/Music/...aterYears.html
    --
    The internet was better before Berners-Lee let the riff-raff in.

Quote Originally Posted by Ground and Sky's Ghost View Post
    In case anyone is still on the fence about this set and isn't already sick of reading about it, I put up an overlong, detailed look at it on my web site:

Thanks for the detailed review. this is definitely not the Cliff Notes version of the Later Years box set. I'm very glad you did it. As with my post to an earlier reviewer, you're making me inch even closer to buying something that I shouldn't.

The review includes most all of the things I felt were missing, especially 'Welcome to the Machine' from DSoT. You hit on everything else I could think of except Gilmour and his band did a tribute to Wright on Jools Holland's show and played 'Remember A Day'. I always liked that song, and a couple of other of Wright's songs that they could played live back in the day and didn't. I know it technically not PF but considering who wrote it...

I so hope they sell this in pieces down the road. The fanboy in me wants to pull the trigger but my already melting credit card from Christmas is saying other things.

Quote Originally Posted by Ground and Sky's Ghost View Post

Nice job! And great to see another person writing an extensive look at this box, albeit from a different perspective, which is what made it so good for me.

Only thing, since I’ve got a surround system (and so couldn’t review the surround mixes): I CAN tell the difference between a well-mastered high resolution album and a well-mastered CD version, the operative word being “well-mastered” (ok, two words, joined together).

For my review, Sony had sent me the five CDs (watermarked promotional copies), and a password to a private Vimeo account, where I could watch all the video material. So I was unable to address the high resolution filed...but, thankfully, a finished copy of the box arrived the day before I wanted to submit the review (which was a week ahead of Street date), so I could listen, in,particular, to the high res new AMLOR stereo mix. A/B’ing them, while the CD version is very good, the dynamics are just that extra bit broader on the 24/96 stereo version, as is the soundstage. Layers are clearly delineated so that, for example, some of those Richard Wright organ parts are even more vivid, which is great.

But that aside, again, great work!

Oh, and two more things, just for info: Wright’s “swirling” organ is standard use of a Hammond organ through a Leslie, which is, indeed, two sets of speakers (highs and lows) that physically spin to create the sound you hear. And one thing I’d mention about the DVDs, despite their containing the same content as Blu Rays 2-6, is that the audio is compressed, versus the BR discs, where it is not. I’ve not checked, but it’s also possible that the video resolution will be better on BR, both audio and video upgrades due to BRs having substantially larger storage capacities. So you might want to mention that in your DVD section...just a suggestion.
    John Kelman

So...been living with this for a couple of weeks now, playing it far more than I'd originally anticipated.

As has been said before, I am a big fan of Momentary Lapse of Reason, and place it easily among my own favorite PF albums. But wow...I love the hell out of the new remixed/updated version. Mason's drums are there, and the adjustments for the keyboards opened up all sorts of interesting discoveries. There is absolutely more warmth in the low end as well.

Not every tune is as great...the instrumentals aren't quite as compelling on the new remixes. With Signs of Life, they pulled up extra keyboard lines previously buried or edited out and they don't really contribute much of note IMHO. And Terminal Frost feels a little bit empty sans some of the backing percussion (still there, but lowered).

But a few tunes...wow. I flat-out love the original Yet Another Movie, and this remix is like a whole new version of the song. So cool. I have almost always skipped over Dogs of Wars as one of my least-favorite tunes, but something about this new version finally clicked for me. It sounds like a solid PF song now. At first One Slip felt weak to me but once I realized the mix choices, it's actually rather fun and the middle with Mason/Levin feels absolutely slamming to me now. The new version of On the Turning Away is now my preferred version of the song. Sorrow & Learning to Fly are both just fine; neither better nor worse than the originals but sit comfortably alongside the other remixes. So yeah...it's a really really great result and I'm so happy they finally released it. I hope at some point it gets a separate release so others can appreciate it without the big investment in the box.

And to be honest, I've really come around on the new Delicate Sound of Thunder. It doesn't sound like the original release but man...it sounds like a terrific, full Pink Floyd concert now. And the video looks absolutely lovely. Watching them do Yet Another Movie live makes me remember how much I regretted that it wasn't in the set by 1994.

So in the end, this set as really reminded me how much I loved this era of PF. Yeah, it was pricey as hell, but I'm really glad I sprang for it.
    Ephemeral Sun - because I gotta do something about these boxes of CDs in the basement: http://www.ephemeralsun.com

As has been said before, I am a big fan of Momentary Lapse of Reason, and place it easily among my own favorite PF albums. But wow...I love the hell out of the new remixed/updated version. Mason's drums are there, and the adjustments for the keyboards opened up all sorts of interesting discoveries. There is absolutely more warmth in the low end as well.

Not every tune is as great...the instrumentals aren't quite as compelling on the new remixes. With Signs of Life, they pulled up extra keyboard lines previously buried or edited out and they don't really contribute much of note IMHO. And Terminal Frost feels a little bit empty sans some of the backing percussion (still there, but lowered).

But a few tunes...wow. I flat-out love the original Yet Another Movie, and this remix is like a whole new version of the song. So cool. I have almost always skipped over Dogs of Wars as one of my least-favorite tunes, but something about this new version finally clicked for me. It sounds like a solid PF song now. At first One Slip felt weak to me but once I realized the mix choices, it's actually rather fun and the middle with Mason/Levin feels absolutely slamming to me now. The new version of On the Turning Away is now my preferred version of the song. Sorrow & Learning to Fly are both just fine; neither better nor worse than the originals but sit comfortably alongside the other remixes. So yeah...it's a really really great result and I'm so happy they finally released it. I hope at some point it gets a separate release so others can appreciate it without the big investment in the box.
    While that shameless confession of guilt mostly discresdits you , I am really intrigued enough to hear the whole new remix (though not sure it should not require another definition, since stuff that wasn't there have been added), however I had feared they would toy with the opening instrumental (which was the only thing I actually liked (despite its heavy borrowings on Cazy Diamond, just like Cluster One on TDB), and it didn't need it.
    Has Terminal Frost's awful snare/gated drums disappeared or been lowered or has Mason played something different? How are the book-ending New Machine bits (one of the most distasteful moments of the album)?

From your review, yes, I hope that one day, I will buy AMLOR once again (decades after getting rid of it), as long as it features the new mix
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

So...been living with this for a couple of weeks now, playing it far more than I'd originally anticipated.

And to be honest, I've really come around on the new Delicate Sound of Thunder. It doesn't sound like the original release but man...it sounds like a terrific, full Pink Floyd concert now. And the video looks absolutely lovely. Watching them do Yet Another Movie live makes me remember how much I regretted that it wasn't in the set by 1994.

So in the end, this set as really reminded me how much I loved this era of PF. Yeah, it was pricey as hell, but I'm really glad I sprang for it.
    thanks for writing that review John! I'm definitely looking forward to the new DSOT film version and the remixed AMLOR, as well as the Endless River film. Gonna hafta buy this box it seems
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

You're welcome.

I do enjoy the Endless River film as well, but I keep wanting to come back and enjoy Momentary Lapse and Delicate Sound first.

I still wish they'd found room for La Carrera Panamericana and Echoes '87, but I'm very very very happy with what I got.
    Ephemeral Sun - because I gotta do something about these boxes of CDs in the basement: http://www.ephemeralsun.com

listening to the new Momentary Lapse mix on Spotify now.
    It is absolutely superb.
    I think it's a little silly coming on this forum and moaning about not being as good an album as Meddle, it's a totally different thing.
    What I think they have done is presented an album that actually sounds like it was created by the same people who made Animals and The Wall. I can really hear the link. It really puts me in mind of the live Wall recordings somehow, slightly elongated solos, female backing vocals etc. I don't know what it is, but it really works.

Final Cut remix anyone?
    When not wasting time here, wasting time at:
    historyofliverpool.com

Quote Originally Posted by rael74 View Post
    Final Cut remix anyone?
    unfortunately, Wright is no longer around to fix that turd

Quote Originally Posted by rael74 View Post
    Final Cut remix anyone?
    Why ? There is nothing wrong with the production or mix on that one. It's superbly produced.
    I also happen to like it. Nowhere near as much as some of what came before, but probably more than anything that came after.
    Calyx (Canterbury Scene) - http://www.calyx-canterbury.fr
    Legends In Their Own Lunchtime (blog) - https://canterburyscene.wordpress.com/
    My latest books : "Yes" (2017) - https://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/yes/ + "L'Ecole de Canterbury" (2016) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/lecoledecanterbury/ + "King Crimson" (2012/updated 2018) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/kingcrimson/
    Upcoming prog (& beyond) shows in France - http://www.bigbangmag.com/agenda.php

Quote Originally Posted by calyx View Post
    Why ? There is nothing wrong with the production or mix on that one. It's superbly produced.
    I also happen to like it. Nowhere near as much as some of what came before, but probably more than anything that came after.
    Yeah, it's a very nice album for all the negativity that went into it's creation. I don't like it as much as Momentary Lapse of Reason, but I do quite like it.

(I don't actually have a side in the Gilmour vs. Waters debate...I like/love both for their respective approaches to PF)