Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Pink Floyd "The Later Years: 1987-2019" 17-disc box set 11/29/2019

Pink Flogged: A Dead Horse

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I remember that - Gilmour looked like a god playing that solo in the rain
    The magic of going wireless! Yeah, you might pick up the stray CB radio, but if it starts raining during an open air gig, you don't have to worry about getting electrocuted!

For what it's worth, rain seems to be a common event with Pink Floyd's open air performances (I guess it happens to all bands who do open air gigs, but anyway...). When I saw them in 1994, it drizzled all day, apparently knocking one of the lasers out of commission, though I'm not sure anyone there that night knew we were only seeing half the laser display (I certainly didn't know until a couple years later). You could see raindrops in the lasers during Wish You Were Here.

I also recall reading about another show on that tour, where they had to vacate the stage half way through the second set due to the rain, which was supposedly only the second or third time in the band's entire career that they had been "defeated by the weather".

One other curiosity about Pink Floyd's Knebworth set is during Shine On Crazy Diamond, Candy Dulfer played the entire solo on tenor sax. On the studio version, and most live performances, the solo starts off on baritone sax during the sort of half time section, then switches to tenor during the shuffle section. I think other than Knebworth, the only time the solo was played entirely on tenor was during the second leg of the 1975 US tour (before that, there was no sax solo, I think Rick played an electric piano solo there before they decided handing it over to Dick Parry).

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    'The Hero's Return Parts 1/2', which had another verse ('Jesus Christ I might as well be dead')....it was on a B side. The bowlderised 'Not Now John' (which I'm not sure I've ever heard!). ISTR the actual single version of 'When The Tigers Broke Free' has a different vocal take. Other than that, no. Just odds and ends like that but then again The Final Cut is like that as an album...made up of odds and ends!
    They could do a surround sound mix of The Final Cut...assuming that the masters are still around.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    A Delicate Sound of Milking
    This.

The musical content interests me, but I don't have any need for photo booklets or replicas of tour passes, stickers and posters (I've probably got a box somewhere, full of all those things from the Floyd shows of the 70's anyway). So I will pass on this big set and hope that at some point the re-mixed recordings become available.

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    They could do a surround sound mix of The Final Cut...assuming that the masters are still around.
    screenshot89.jpg
    Chad

I may be a rare kind of Floyd fan whose fave albums are Dark Side, Wish, AMLOR & Division Bell. I like the latter 2 almost as much as the first 2. Don't like the early stuff at all, don't like most of The Wall, tolerate Animals and think The Final Cut is utter garbage. The Endless River is good in parts. Are there any others out there like me?

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    'The Hero's Return Parts 1/2', which had another verse ('Jesus Christ I might as well be dead')....it was on a B side. The bowlderised 'Not Now John' (which I'm not sure I've ever heard!). ISTR the actual single version of 'When The Tigers Broke Free' has a different vocal take. Other than that, no. Just odds and ends like that but then again The Final Cut is like that as an album...made up of odds and ends!
    Thanks for the info. YouTube is my friend. Played 'The Hero's Return Parts 1/2' and I think they made the right call in leaving it off of the album.

^Only one of the three has seen an official CD release that I know of...

https://www.discogs.com/Roger-Waters...elease/2741293

Although something like this is hardly a widespread release!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    I may be a rare kind of Floyd fan whose fave albums are Dark Side, Wish, AMLOR & Division Bell. I like the latter 2 almost as much as the first 2. Don't like the early stuff at all, don't like most of The Wall, tolerate Animals and think The Final Cut is utter garbage. The Endless River is good in parts. Are there any others out there like me?
    In short, probably no.

Although there are many people that are not too happy with Roger's lyrics on those three albums. For me, Animals has aged very well with me. I play it more now then when it was released. Just the opposite with The Wall. The Final Cut has always been that once in a while album, but when the mood strikes, it is very good. I've always liked the DG Floyd more than most as many rag on those albums.

I came into Floyd with Delicate Sound of Thunder, so the DG-era Floyd has a special place for me. Momentary Lapse is still among my favorite PF albums overall (don't worry, Animals is still #1).

As such, once the inevitable presale discounts and special offers come rolling in it's entirely possible (heck, I'll even upgrade to "probable") that I will go ahead and spring for this.

I can certainly understand and appreciate why this will be a minority opinion in these waters
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Everyone's talkign about waiting for the individual releases, but ya know with the Early Years set, that last two or three discs in the set were never released on their own. You had to get the box to get those. One wonders what they'll do with this set on this front.

So they're just skipping over the entire Dark Side Of The Moon through The Wall era, I take it? No "Middle Years" set, huh?
    It was only one audio disc (which is what I care about) from the early years set, so for me not a huge loss. If something like that happens with this one...even less of loss for me personally.

Now a Middle Years set would be of interest...I'm afraid that would be awfully tempting for me to go for the box proper if such a thing was ever to exist.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Perhaps The Division Bell and Endless River will be represented on “The Latter Years 1987-2019, Part 2.”

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    Almost. I have trouble with a lot of the early material. Too experimental for my tastes. My one exception to your post is "Animals" which I think is awesome.
    Chad

I'm not sure how common a fan I am. I absolutely love the early experimental stuff, especially from Ummagumma through to about Obscured By Clouds, but I'm basically a big fan of everything pre-Dark Side. But I also love Animals, although it's a different beast, and I opt for that one when in a different mood, obviously, from when I play something like Atom Heart Mother.

I blame "classic rock" FM radio for destroying the rest of their catalogue for me.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I pretty much like everything they did, with the exceptions of Dark Side Of The Moon, The Final Cut, and The Division Bell.

Dark Side Of The Moon is actually a great record for what it is, but unfortunately FM radio and the band's own tendency to rely on it a little heavily in their setlists post-1973 have caused it to wear out it's welcome, as it were.

I've said it many times, and I'll say it again: I feel the Final Cut is a great statement about the Falklands War, but as a piece of music that I actually want to listen to again and again, it's something significantly less. I still say Waters gets so caught up in The Big Statement About Whatever, he often times forgets to write melodies to go with his lyrics. And I think The Final Cut is an example of that.

The Division Bell is a weird album, again I"ve mentioned this a few times, but I actually like most of the songs on the album. Yet, somehow, all of them put together, it doesn't add up right. I don't know if they're all too similar or what the deal is. But I feel The Division Bell, taken as a whole, doesn't quite work. And that's a pity, because I feel it's the first "real" Pink Floyd album since Animals (which is still my favorite).

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    I'm not sure how common a fan I am. I absolutely love the early experimental stuff, especially from Ummagumma through to about Obscured By Clouds, but I'm basically a big fan of everything pre-Dark Side. But I also love Animals, although it's a different beast, and I opt for that one when in a different mood, obviously, from when I play something like Atom Heart Mother.

I blame "classic rock" FM radio for destroying the rest of their catalogue for me.
    Mmmhhh!!!... Personally, I really have a difficult time with the Syd-era stuff, if you take out Astrnomy, Overdrive Toc H and the two long tracks from Saucerful. While I like More, I don't care for the Gumma disc (though I love the Umma live stuff), and I never really warmed to Clouds...
    TBH, if I had to summarize in only one thing from the pre-DSOTM stuff, I'd take Pompei, though I'd still be lacking a fair bit of AHM.

I pretty much like everything they did, with the exceptions of Dark Side Of The Moon, The Final Cut, and The Division Bell.
    The Division Bell is a weird album, again I"ve mentioned this a few times, but I actually like most of the songs on the album. Yet, somehow, all of them put together, it doesn't add up right. I don't know if they're all too similar or what the deal is. But I feel The Division Bell, taken as a whole, doesn't quite work. And that's a pity, because I feel it's the first "real" Pink Floyd album since Animals (which is still my favorite).
    Weird to prefer Lapse to Bell, but I'll take it, because I don't think that much of TDB myself... It's a weak album (given that unlike Permanent Lapse Of Reasons, it's not a Gilmour solo album (and a very pretentious one at that), and Floyd is now back as a trio, Wright doesn't find inspiration (not that he did better for his Broken China, either). Soooo, outside Cluster1, HH and another track (can't find its name as I write)... It's just/mostly soft stuff (except for HH), and definitely not instrumental enough (despite the opening track). Maybe re-listen to River to see how different TDB might've been with different choices.
    The very down side is that there are a few tracks that overstay their (relative) welcome by a couple of minutes as well. It's miles better than APLOR, but still weak.
    Last edited by Trane; 08-29-2019 at 04:26 AM.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I would be curious to hear the new version of AMLOR. The fact that this version now exists acknowledges the fact that the original is essentially a Gilmour solo album with a lot of studio musicians, so the new version probably tends to make it a more legitimate Floyd album, although in a forced and artificial way.
    Regarding TDB, I also feel the track order and the choice of songs don't work. The instrumental side of their sessions could have been more successfully represented on the album to make it a less safe, less "sugary" record. Some pieces that ended on TER could have worked on that alternative TDB.
    This later era had nice packaging and some nice music, but to my ears it was too nice - the unsettling, challenging, mysterious side of Floyd was largely missing IMHO, and it wasn't only because of Waters' absence. I was expecting Wright to bring back some of this, and there are glimpses of it on TER and Broken China, but not enough to make this era of Floyd really vital to me.
    Last edited by Interstellar; 08-29-2019 at 06:07 AM.

Amazon USA is now taking pre-orders for Pink Floyd's The Later Years set.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07X2M36TF/?tag=imwan-20

Weren't the "middle years" addressed with the individual Dark Side, Wish, Animals and The Wall boxes rather than a single box spanning those years?
    It would seem only The Final Cut has not been covered by this reissue campaign.

Quote Originally Posted by LeFrog View Post
    Weren't the "middle years" addressed with the individual Dark Side, Wish, Animals and The Wall boxes rather than a single box spanning those years?
    It would seem only The Final Cut has not been covered by this reissue campaign.
    If there was an Animals box, I must have blinked and missed it ! ;-)
    Calyx (Canterbury Scene) - http://www.calyx-canterbury.fr
    Legends In Their Own Lunchtime (blog) - https://canterburyscene.wordpress.com/
    My latest books : "Yes" (2017) - https://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/yes/ + "L'Ecole de Canterbury" (2016) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/lecoledecanterbury/ + "King Crimson" (2012/updated 2018) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/kingcrimson/
    Canterbury & prog interviews - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdf...IUPxUMA/videos

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I will sleep well tonight knowing I don't have the completist collection of Pink Floyd material worth $500USD.

I understand some Pink Floyd fans wanting this pkg, just not for me.
    Some years ago we bought the Beatles Mono Boxset on vinyl for close to $400, but only after we had a windfall refund from an amended fed tax return.
    It looks like one of the few things I've ever bought that's going up in value as time passes.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

Quote Originally Posted by calyx View Post
    If there was an Animals box, I must have blinked and missed it ! ;-)
    Oops I must have dreamt that one up, knowing they did Wish You Were Here and The Wall...

Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    It looks like one of the few things I've ever bought that's going up in value as time passes.
    If you dig deeper, you may find you have some other items of increasing value. My UK boxed set has gone up quite a bit from what I can see on Discogs/Ebay, likewise with some of the Tull book sets from the past several years. Even individual titles that are long out of print can go for (or at least, be listed at) surprisingly high dollar amounts - and I'm talking CDs... if you're more a vinyl guy, chances are you could have even more valuable titles in your collection.

Not that I ever sell anything anyway, but it's sometimes a fun curiosity to see how in demand some of this stuff can be.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Not that I can buy any of these mega-boxes anyway but the only things worth a damn in here are the late 80s live discs, particularly the expanded Delicate Sound Of Thunder. That looks nice. Hope it gets a separate release.

The thing is, if you want a more 'Floyd' (with Mason on real drums and Wright actually present!), less 80s Momentary Lapse..., you might as well go for the new Delicate Sound... CD. They did the whole album, just 'One Slip' was played out of sequence but I don't really like that song anyway.
    Last edited by JJ88; 08-29-2019 at 09:43 AM.