Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Pink Floyd "The Later Years: 1987-2019" 17-disc box set 11/29/2019

Hey...I almost forgot about this but, where's the La Carerra Panamericana stuff? If they left those on the floor, that would be just...well, not grand.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Carrera_Panamericana
    Ephemeral Sun - because I gotta do something about these boxes of CDs in the basement: http://www.ephemeralsun.com

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    Hey...I almost forgot about this but, where's the La Carerra Panamericana stuff? If they left those on the floor, that would be just...well, not grand.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Carrera_Panamericana
    good point, but it doesn't bear much that much interest, some specific Gilmour-written tracks, some alternative AMLOR tracks including jams, and Run Like Hell as the opener, but nothing essential, really.

But yeah, a pity they would forget it on this boxset, but maybe there are exploitation rights issues.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    good point, but it doesn't bear much that much interest, some specific Gilmour-written tracks, some alternative AMLOR tracks including jams, and Run Like Hell as the opener, but nothing essential, really.

But yeah, a pity they would forget it on this boxset, but maybe there are exploitation rights issues.
    I guess that was my point, yes: the Early Years were kind of fairly exhaustive I thought. Very little if anything was left out (I think 'Seabirds' might be one of the main omissions but apparently they didn't have a master).

I'm looking at the track listing for the "bonus live/unreleased" stuff in this box and here's what's listed:

One Of These Days (live in Hanover 1994)
    Astronomy Domine (live in Miami 1994)
    The Dogs Of War (live in Atlanta 1987)
    On The Turning Away (live in Atlanta 1987)
    Run Like Hell (live in Atlanta 1987)
    Blues 1 (unreleased 1994 recording)
    Slippery Guitar (unreleased 1994 recording)
    Rick’s Theme (unreleased 1994 recording)
    David’s Blues (unreleased 1994 recording)
    Marooned Jam (unreleased 1994 recording)
    Nervana (unreleased 1994 recording)

So...instead of a set of previously-released-but-fairly-hard-to-find studio recordings, we're getting five live tracks, all of which appeared on either Delicate Sound or Pulse (I think technically One of these Days might be actually the B-side from the High Hopes single but it was/is featured in the concert film itself).

It just feels like kind of an obvious miss. The film itself was centered around Pink Floyd and Gilmour/Mason/O'Rourke participating. I can't imagine they'd have much trouble licensing the tunes.
    Ephemeral Sun - because I gotta do something about these boxes of CDs in the basement: http://www.ephemeralsun.com

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post

It just feels like kind of an obvious miss. The film itself was centered around Pink Floyd and Gilmour/Mason/O'Rourke participating. I can't imagine they'd have much trouble licensing the tunes.
    the tunes maybe, but the images of the film (and exploitation of the Pan American race) could be an issue...

But most likely, this is a mishap from the Floyd compilers, indeed
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Amazon US now down to $341. Will probably drop further. My guess is the final actual price will end up somewhere in the mid-to-high $200's.

Not likely to sway most folks, but it won't be AS painful for those who plan to make the plunge.

I now remember that I bought a single CD for "Take it Back" and the B-side or extra track was "Astronomy Domine" Live - now I know it was in Miami of the same Division Bell tour 1994 that I saw in Yankee stadium June 1994.
    And I bought this CD single mainly for the extra track Domine because that was the song with which they opened the show, OMG what a mega-show that was. The sound & light controls tent was in about at second base and the stage in center field. That controls tent also had the mirror ball lotus pedal that was hydraulically elevated and opened during the comfortably numb finale.
    if this box set would have something similar, I would consider the big expense but not sure quite yet.
    My PROG shows:
    YES - Montreal Forum, Feb. 74 - The Winery, Saratoga, CA Aug 2016
    ELP - Montreal Forum, Dec. 73 - Verizon, Houston TX May 2010
    Pink Floyd - Olympic Stadium, July 77 - Yankee Stadium, NY Jun 94
    Jethro Tull - Montreal Forum, Jun 73 - LA Forum, Nov 78
    Rush - Montreal Forum, July 84 - Toyota Ctr, Houston, TX May 2015
    Genesis - Montreal Forum, December 74 - Pepsi Arena, Denver Oct 2007
    King Crimson - Spectrum Montreal, July 84 - Videotron Ctr Quebec July 2017

Well...it has PULSE which is from the '94 tour. The giant mirror ball is shown during the guitar solo in Comfortably Numb. And since it's blu ray instead of just DVD...you know, you can count more of the little sparkly bits.

Saw the show in DC on that tour...that mirror ball really was a hell of a thing. In terms of pure spectacle that was a monster night.

I don't think of that period as being their most musically interesting as a live act, but in terms of spectacle they were delivering big time.

Quote Originally Posted by Frumious B View Post
    I donít think there is anything horribly wrong with the sound of AMLOR. It came out in 1987. It sounds a little like a cross between Wish You Were Here and Songs From The Big Chair to me. Thatís about what I would expect a Pink Floyd record from 1987 to sound like. Nothing wrong with that. Radio KAOS sounds more dated to me, though I like some of the songwriting on that one better.
    This^^^ I'd be more inclined to play it than anything from '73-'80 at this point. So burnt on the obvious albums....

^'Learning To Fly', 'On The Turning Away' and 'Sorrow' are all very good songs. I quite like the 'A New Machine/Terminal Frost' suite as well, 80s sounds notwithstanding.

Gilmour mentioned in an interview that Bob Dylan told him that he loved 'The Dogs Of War'! But I tend to think of that video screen in the background on the Delicate Sound... VHS, with Gilmour's face scowling on lines like 'men of hate!'. And Scott Page's flapping mullet in his sax solo. That and 'One Slip' I don't care for.
    Last edited by JJ88; 1 Week Ago at 05:25 PM.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    This^^^ I'd be more inclined to play it than anything from '73-'80 at this point. So burnt on the obvious albums....
    Animals is the only one of that era that I still play regularly though I will listen to Shine On if it comes up in rotation
    Ian

I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    My favourite period. Well in fact 73-1983 as I love The Final Cut.
    "A waste of talent and electricity." John Peel on ELP

There is a great album buried within 'Momentary Lapse' somewhere. Hopefully once all of that god awful 80s gloss has been stripped away from it, we'll be able to hear it finally.
    When not wasting time here, wasting time at:
    historyofliverpool.com

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Not really related to this thread, but some dolt on the Prog Mag FB group posted that he likes DSOTM but it’s the only PF album he can stomach. Pretty unusual opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by rael74 View Post
    There is a great album buried within 'Momentary Lapse' somewhere. Hopefully once all of that god awful 80s gloss has been stripped away from it, we'll be able to hear it finally.
    I haven't actually seen any real evidence that a new mix of AMLOR is going to be in this box set. Anyone have a source of reliable info?
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    I haven't actually seen any real evidence that a new mix of AMLOR is going to be in this box set. Anyone have a source of reliable info?
    The Pink Floyd official site? Click on VIEW FULL DETAILS, it says: Disc 1. A Momentary Lapse of Reason Updated and Remixed 2019.

It really is pretty odd that The Division Bell isnt included in the set.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    It really is pretty odd that The Division Bell isnt included in the set.
    It isn't if you consider that it follows the blueprint of the Early Years box set which didn't include the original albums. AMLOR is only included because it was reworked.

The studio albums were all "recently" reissued, and if the set included those I suspect people would be complaining about double dips forcing them to buy what they already own. The live albums are included because they're being expanded. AMLOR is included in modified form only (ala King Crimson's ReconstruKction of Light). Knebworth is getting a first official release on disc.

I'm more bothered by the omission of other rare/unreleased material from that time period that isn't included: La Carrerra soundtrack, the "do your own lead" version of Terminal Frost, Echoes 87. Hell, apparently Gilmour turned in a first attempt at a PF record around 86 that was rejected by the label. It's not that I think these are all amazing overlooked gems or anything, but...honestly, at that price point for a release clearly targeting hardcore fans of that era, why NOT at least be exhaustive with the content, you know?

Just my $0.02 on their $350.00

For some reason I thought Endless River was included in the set, but it looks like if it is, it's because they included some video made for it. I'm having trouble finding a full list of the contents now for some reason.

There's an Endless River film in HQ sound and a remastered Division Bell on the Blu-Rays

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberian Cat View Post
    The Pink Floyd official site? Click on VIEW FULL DETAILS, it says: Disc 1. A Momentary Lapse of Reason Updated and Remixed 2019.
    thank you... interested to see The Delicate Sound Of Thunder film redone... I never got the first edition so I dont know if it has any extra songs
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

There's an Endless River film in HQ sound and a remastered Division Bell on the Blu-Rays

thank you... interested to see The Delicate Sound Of Thunder film redone... I never got the first edition so I dont know if it has any extra songs
    Shine On... - On the original it was just the a small bit to start and end the film. The new version says it has Shine On parts 1-5 to lead off like it was in concert.

I was hoping they would include Welcome To The Machine... which they played for every show I think

I was hoping they would include Welcome To The Machine... which they played for every show I think
    Me too. One of my fav PF tracks. A least the added it and a handful of tracks (Signs of Life, A New Machine Part 1, Terminal Frost, A New Machine Part 2, On The Run, The Great Gig In The Sky, One Slip) to the CD.

And speaking of what is missing, I would have liked them to include Gilmour and company playing 'Remember A Day' on Jools Hollands show after Rick Wright passed away. I always liked that song. The could have added a song or two from Wright back in the day. Oh well.
    Last edited by Tangram; 6 Days Ago at 04:59 AM.

Welcome to the Machine is on CD 3.

DSOT video included a few additional songs but also omitted a number of tunes if memory serves.