Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112

Thread: Pink Floyd "The Later Years: 1987-2019" 17-disc box set 11/29/2019

I listened sampler today. New version of Sorrow is pretty lame. I prefer easily the original one which I think is also the best song on A Momentary Lapse Of Reason.

I was also suprised how weak all the Delicate Sound Of Thunder stuff was. Not very energetic that band was it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "A waste of talent and electricity." John Peel on ELP

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    No you don't. But you can't seem to let go of bombarding this thread repeatedly. Is it OCD?
    I predicted it!

He can't stop taking shots at any Pink Floyd that doesn't include his "imaginary lover" Waters
    Last edited by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER; 4 Days Ago at 04:51 PM.
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by Valen View Post
    I picked up the single cd sampler and spent the weekend comparing the remixes against the originals.

You can read more on my blog review here:
    https://momentstransition.wordpress....s-cd1987-2019/
    I also picked this up, especially because I'm not interested in the box. This is simply not my favourite PF-period.
    I like the way Rick Wright sounds in the ouverture of Shine On from Knebworth 1990.
    the Marooned Jam is nice and so is the early version of High Hopes.

Finally it's too bad they didn't make it something like Echoes where all tracks are mixed into each other, making it a different kind of compilation.

Quote Originally Posted by Nearfest2 View Post
    Reading your review now... You do realize that there are Immersion box sets for DSOTM and WYWH, right?
    Which are out of print.

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Which are out of print.
    Not the point.

You can still get them both "new" on Amazon for a great price...

DSOTM
    https://www.amazon.com/Dark-Side-Moo...s%2C125&sr=8-1

WYWH
    https://www.amazon.com/Wish-You-Were...5467839&sr=8-1
    Chad

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Dooooh, now I get it....

I thought the boxset was out already for a few weeks already. But it's for Dec 13.
    FYI, they were originally to be released on the same date, but (and this has been common this season!) production delays pushed it back to December 13.

Me. Iím glad, as I was able to get the Giant box review in, Nad am wrapping the Floyd set review tomorrow, to run this weekend. They sent advances of the 5 CDs, and access to a private Vimeo page, password protected, for all the video content. Frankly, Iíve been enjoying the heck out of it all, considering it wasnít my fave period.

Theyíd become a somewhat different band, but man, did they ever know how to do things on a grand scale.
    John Kelman
    Senior Contributor, All About Jazz since 2004
    Freelance writer/photographer

I picked up the single cd sampler and spent the weekend comparing the remixes against the originals.

You can read more on my blog review here:
    https://momentstransition.wordpress....s-cd1987-2019/
    My full review will be up this weekend, but a quick comment, or, rather, a few:
    1. Mason didn’t play much drums on the original AMLoR because he’d not been playing and wasn’t in shape. So he focused more on sonics and electronics. Now, decades later, he added his own kit, largely replacing Keltner and Appice. You can hear the diff. Even Keltner (I think it’s him on the original) a simple but groove-meister of a player if ever there was one (one of my favourites), he slightly busier than Mason, so when you hear the original bass drum triplets early in Learning to Fly...now, with Mason’s parts, simpler still, you know he’s been replaced.
    2. The same apparently applies to Wright. Plus legal issues meant he couldn’t be brought back, at the time, as a full band member. Anyway, the added Rhodes on Learning to Fly, more dominant, I like. Ditto the Leslie-driven organ that’s more dominant on Dogs of War. Like Mason, he’s no virtuoso, but his instincts for tone and wonderfully simple lines more than make up for it, in the context of Floyd.

There are a lot of changes on AMLoR...some overt, some subtle. At times, you could listen to both versions and, if not paying attention, not notice any differences...but pay more attention, and they’re there.

Is it better? That’s subjective. I didn’t really like some of the ‘80s drums machines and synth tones, but the new mix overall feels more balanced to me.

In a nutshell: I like it.

As for DSoT? Sounds fine on my home system and also on my DAP with my Westone IEMs. Louder, yes, but still dynamic enough and hey, it’s a live album, in an arena, so a different experience.

Just FYI, I went into the Giant box review a committed fan. I’ve gone into the Floyd box as less of one for this period, but wanted to see if it could make me like it more.

It did. The CD content is a small part of the box, don’t forget. The high res stuff on Blu ray - whether audio only or video - is stellar. I was surprised to see DSOT was a widescreen film, whereas Venice, Knebworth and Pulse were 4:3. Still, the restorations on DSOT and Pulse are great, and hearing the sound uncompressed in 24/96 or 24/48 sound is a major bonus...of course that’s only on Blu Ray. DVDs are 16/48.

A lot of the bonus videos are watch once, but the 30 I Ute video with the Pulse production team was a revelation, and the film about the Promtional airships announcing the Division Bell tour was shorter but equally interesting/informative. And the new film for Endless River is wonderful...suitably atmospheric, impressionistic...

I think where Floyd misses the boat (though I’ve not been sent a PDF of the 60 page book, just the smaller one in the CD), is (as was true with Early Years) their overlooking fans’ desire to get some good reading material. They could have hired a good writer to document things, even if they’ve already been well covered, I’m sure someone could bring some new perspectives.

So for me, without giving the review away? I like the box, but would have liked it more if it had come with some good documentation.
    Last edited by jkelman; 3 Days Ago at 10:05 PM.
    John Kelman

Not the point.

You can still get them both "new" on Amazon for a great price...

DSOTM
    https://www.amazon.com/Dark-Side-Moo...s%2C125&sr=8-1

WYWH
    https://www.amazon.com/Wish-You-Were...5467839&sr=8-1
    (Emily Lintilla mode) Oh. Never mind. (Emily Lintilla mode off)

Hmm that's weird, I could have sworn a couple years ago, when I was finally working again, and had some money again, I looked these things up, they were going for hundreds of dollars. Coloured me surprised (and reasonably happy).

Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post
    My full review will be up this weekend, but a quick comment, or, rather, a few:
    1. Mason didn’t play much drums on the original AMLoR because he’d not been playing and wasn’t in shape. So he focused more on sonics and electronics. Now, decades later, he added his own kit, largely replacing Keltner and Appice. You can hear the diff. Even Keltner (I think it’s him on the original) a simple but groove-meister of a player if ever there was one (one of my favourites), he slightly busier than Mason, so when you hear the original bass drum triplets early in Learning to Fly...now, with Mason’s parts, simpler still, you know he’s been replaced.
    2. The same apparently applies to Wright. Plus legal issues meant he couldn’t be brought back, at the time, as a full band member. Anyway, the added Rhodes on Learning to Fly, more dominant, I like. Ditto the Leslie-driven organ that’s more dominant on Dogs of War. Like Mason, he’s no virtuoso, but his instincts for tone and wonderfully simple lines more than make up for it, in the context of Floyd.

There are a lot of changes on AMLoR...some overt, some subtle. At times, you could listen to both versions and, if not paying attention, not notice any differences...but pay more attention, and they’re there.

Is it better? That’s subjective. I didn’t really like some of the ‘80s drums machines and synth tones, but the new mix overall feels more balanced to me.

In a nutshell: I like it.

As for DSoT? Sounds fine on my home system and also on my DAP with my Westone IEMs. Louder, yes, but still dynamic enough and hey, it’s a live album, in an arena, so a different experience.

Just FYI, I went into the Giant box review a committed fan. I’ve gone into the Floyd box as less of one for this period, but wanted to see if it could make me like it more.

It did. The CD content is a small part of the box, don’t forget. The high res stuff on Blu ray - whether audio only or video - is stellar. I was surprised to see DSOT was a widescreen film, whereas Venice, Knebworth and Pulse were 4:3. Still, the restorations on DSOT and Pulse are great, and hearing the sound uncompressed in 24/96 or 24/48 sound is a major bonus...of course that’s only on Blu Ray. DVDs are 16/48.

A lot of the bonus videos are watch once, but the 30 I Ute video with the Pulse production team was a revelation, and the film about the Promtional airships announcing the Division Bell tour was shorter but equally interesting/informative. And the new film for Endless River is wonderful...suitably atmospheric, impressionistic...

I think where Floyd misses the boat (though I’ve not been sent a PDF of the 60 page book, just the smaller one in the CD), is (as was true with Early Years) their overlooking fans’ desire to get some good reading material. They could have hired a good writer to document things, even if they’ve already been well covered, I’m sure someone could bring some new perspectives.

So for me, without giving the review away? I like the box, but would have liked it more if it had come with some good documentation.
    If those are your "quick comments", I'd better brew up a pot of coffee for the full expose

Looking forward to reading it.

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Hmm that's weird, I could have sworn a couple years ago, when I was finally working again, and had some money again, I looked these things up, they were going for hundreds of dollars. Coloured me surprised (and reasonably happy).
    Yeah, those prices are crazy low.
    Chad

If those are your "quick comments", I'd better brew up a pot of coffee for the full expose
    I think thatís pretty much a given

That said, it was submitted today, and will run Sunday. Compared to the 23,000 word Giant review, itíll be a relative breeze door ya at just under 13,000.

The good news? My finished copy of the Floyd box arrived yesterday, so I now have access to all the contents, specifically the printed material.

I will say this: compared to the early years box, they learned. ItĒs big, but not filled with space. In fact, itís pretty much full to the brim. I like a lot about how they did it. Even the Blu day and DVD discs, each in their own gatefold sleeve, is in a protective plastic mini-sleeve. The CDs are in a hardcover style ho,der, the book inside containing all the detailed track, personnel and production info, the tour guides and Lyric book are kept together in one section, above the hardcover photo book and the envelope with the two singles, posters and other memorabilia.

The box is, I think 13Ēx13Ēx3Ē, so will fit on a shelf, no problem.

So I think they did a way better job on the design and packaging, than the eealy years box. Itís expensive, but they didnít go cheap on the whole thing.

Looking forward to reading it.
    Thanks. Dunno if people will agree, but immersing myself in the box Iíve found myself warming much more to this era of the band. My favourite albums remain Meddle, followed by Animals, Obscured by Clouds, Aton Heart Mother, Dark Side of the Moon, Ummagumma and Wish You Were Here, pretty much in that order. But Iíd place the material in this box ahead of The Wall and The Final Cut, and even ahead of Saucerful of Secrets, More and Piper at the Gates (I wasnít, blasphemy though it is, much of a Barrett fan). And it might actually move ahead of Wish You Were Here and Dark Side, if only because the music I like from those albums are done here in concert, and I was never much of a Waters fan as a bassist or singer (more liked him as a writer).

So Iíd say my esteem for this has moved up thanks to the box.
    John Kelman

Yeah, those prices are crazy low.
    I have heard that a lot of the "immersion" product from the 3rd party resellers is pirated. The presence of pirate copies may have also kept bona fide product prices lower, and, yes, those used to be much much higher as per GG's comments above. But I would order only from a seller you know on these.