Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Pink Floyd "The Later Years: 1987-2019" 17-disc box set 11/29/2019

Loved the early years box. For this era though, the individual albums on CD are more than enough for me. I rarely listen to them as it is.
    Prog, Metal and Classic rock reviews/interviews - www.velvetthunder.co.uk

Nope

Orange Tick Squasher Buddhabreath's Avatar
    Wait, there are ticket replicas? In that case I'm in!
    The combined fortunes of the world's 26 richest individuals reached $1.4 trillion last year the same amount as the total wealth of the 3.8 billion poorest people.

Buddhabreath's Rescued from Oblivion album from the 80's. The critics are raving (raving mad that is).
    Do you have what it take to survive I Can't Stand My Own Mind? Hint: smoke something strong first...

The official announcement is coming Friday. The contents of the box were up on the Pink Floyd Official Store but were taken down. This per Rontoon at the Hoffman forums:

“PRICE MATCHING. Please note that pre-order pricing is likely to vary, in line with prevailing business practices. Please note this item is for preorder and we expect it to ship on or around November 27th. To receive any non-preorder items sooner please place a separate order. The Official Pink Floyd webstore strives to be as competitive with large online retailers in regard to pricing, but as a much smaller enterprise, we are not always able to match them exactly. Please do, however, monitor price changes pre-release - we will always ship at our lowest final price.”

On November 29th, Pink Floyd Records will release ‘Pink Floyd The Later Years’, an 18-disc set (5 x CDs, 6 x Blu-Rays, 5 x DVDs, 2x7” plus exclusive photo book and memorabilia) covering the material created by David Gilmour, Nick Mason and Richard Wright from 1987 onward. The period generated record sales of over 40 million worldwide and included three studio albums: ‘A Momentary Lapse of Reason’, ‘The Division Bell’ and ‘The Endless River’ as well as two live albums: ‘Delicate Sound of Thunder’ and ‘Pulse’. With additional production from David Gilmour and Andy Jackson, over 13 hours of unreleased audio and audiovisual material, including the sought-after 1989 Venice and 1990 Knebworth concerts, ‘Pink Floyd The Later Years’ is a must for all fans.

CDs
    5 x CDs, contained in their own 60-page, hardback book, containing a guide to all content, tracklistings, exhaustive content detail and credits.

CD 1 ‘A Momentary Lapse of Reason’ Remixed & Updated 51 mins
    CD 2 & 3 ‘Delicate Sound Of Thunder’ Remixed 140 mins
    CD 4 Live Recordings, 1987 & 1994 Unreleased Studio Recordings 65 mins
    CD 5 Knebworth Concert 1990 57 mins

Blu-rays
    6 x Blu-rays, each contained in a gatefold wallet with dedicated cover art, including tracklistings and music publishing credits. Discs contained in protective plastic sleeves inside wallet.

Blu-ray 1 Surround & Hi-res Audio Mixes 152 mins
    Blu-ray 2 ‘Delicate Sound Of Thunder’ Restored & Remixed 120 mins
    Blu-ray 3 ‘Pulse’ Restored & Re-edited 145 mins
    Blu-ray 4 Venice Concert 1989 & Knebworth Concert 1990 147 mins Blu-ray 5 Unreleased Live Films Music Videos & Concert Screen Films 154 mins
    Blu-ray 6 Documentaries & Unreleased Material 122 mins

DVD
    5 x DVDs (duplicating the content of Blu-rays 2-6 above), each contained in a gatefold wallet with dedicated cover art, including tracklistings and music publishing credits.

7” Singles
    2 x 7” vinyl singles in brand-new picture sleeves, featuring ‘Arnold Layne’ performed live by Pink Floyd at the Syd Barrett Tribute concert, 2007 and Lost For Words from the Pulse tour rehearsals at Earl’s Court.

Photo Book
    60-page hard backed book of photos designed by Aubrey Powell of Hipgnosis and Peter Curzon of StormStudios, including many previously unseen images.

Replica Tour Programmes and Lyric Book
    A newly-created set of reproduction tour programmes (Pink Floyd World Tour 1987/1988, Pink Floyd Live 1989, Pink Floyd European Tour 1994), plus a brand new Lyrics Book, designed by Aubrey Powell of Hipgnosis and Peter Curzon of StormStudios.

Memorabilia
    A collection of reproduction memorabilia including tour passes, stickers and posters, all printed to replicate the originals, and contained in a prestige card envelope

Only thing of interest really would be a separate release of the (seemingly) expanded Delicate Sound Of Thunder.

Quote Originally Posted by Nearfest2 View Post
    As gorgeous as this box is, I can't shell out $500 for it. I'll wait and hope for a separate AMLOR box with the remix and 5.1.
    Agreed.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Loved the early years box. For this era though, the individual albums on CD are more than enough for me. I rarely listen to them as it is.
    Yep, actually I never listen to them. I do love Gilmour's 'On An Island' but later Floyd though good, I'm just not feeling so much, in part likely because I love earlier albums like 'Meddle' so much.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Yikes, sounds like a big old PASS for me.
    I bet ya'd jump in if TFC was part of the deal
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Hey, at least 11 of those discs are remixes of U.K. doing Floyd-covers in the bathroom of their rehearsal-space, extravagantly adjusted, combusted, engineered, remastered, mixed and plastered by Ed Jobberson himself. Comes with a stickerposter of him wearing a Floyd t-shirt.

I was hoping this might account for all the discs. One of them is an ambient re-mix of Jobberson's re-mix by Eno. Make that Roger Eno.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    I bet ya'd jump in if TFC was part of the deal
    Ian

I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

They should title it: Too Little, Too Late, Too Much.
    "And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

The DVD content and tour programs look interesting to me. I've had a bootleg copy of the Venice show. They actually performed a free show, on a barge parked in the lagoon at St Mark's Square (I think it was St. Mark's). The damage and mess caused by the audience generated such controversy that the mayor and entire city council resigned in disgrace afterwards. If I remember correctly, it was broadcast live in Europe, I don't think it was shown Stateside. The projection screen films also should be pretty cool.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Seeing the breakdown makes this even less interesting to me.

I suppose I might bite on Delicate Sound Of Thunder and the studio bits, but certainly no appetite for the box here. (And really no great loss to me if things are released individually, as the early years box was)
    No humor please, we're skittish.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

Quote Originally Posted by Man In The Mountain View Post
    Wouldn't mind a DVD upgrade on the Knebworth concert either, mine recorded right off the MTV broadcast.
    The MTV broadcast (which went out a couple weeks after the actual event) wasn't the full set. Not only that, but they swapped a couple of the songs around. I think the broadcast went something like:
    Shine On You Crazy Diamond
    (commercial break)
    Sorrow
    (commercial break)
    Wish You Were Here
    Comfortably Numb
    (commercial break)
    Run Like Hell

But on the actual night, it was
    Shine On You Crazy Diamond
    Great Gig In The Sky
    Wish You Were
    Sorrow
    Money
    Comfortably Numb
    Run Like Hell

As I recall, they had a massive laser show during Comfortably Numb that they usually didn't use on that song, and they were playing in the rain!

I've got most of the "edited highlights" that MTV showed on VHS around here someplace. One of only two times I've ever seen Status Quo on Stateside TV (the other was Live Aid) and the only time I've ever seen Cliff Richard & The Shadows in that context.

Everyone's talkign about waiting for the individual releases, but ya know with the Early Years set, that last two or three discs in the set were never released on their own. You had to get the box to get those. One wonders what they'll do with this set on this front.

So they're just skipping over the entire Dark Side Of The Moon through The Wall era, I take it? No "Middle Years" set, huh?

If they do an Immersion Animals, the "Classic Years" are covered.

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    I'm still pissed about those Immersion sets, specifically the fact that they were limited editions, and came out when I was too broke to buy them.

They are working on a "Middle Years" set as well, at least that was the rumor.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    A Delicate Sound of Milking

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    Not that it had too many fans, but was there ever anything extra released for 'The Final Cut'? I know 'When the Tigers Broke Free' was added to later issues but is there anything else that is sitting in the vaults that anyone has heard of?

Champaign taste and a beer budget. Waiting for the individual boxes, again.

Quote Originally Posted by Tangram View Post
    Not that it had too many fans, but was there ever anything extra released for 'The Final Cut'? I know 'When the Tigers Broke Free' was added to later issues but is there anything else that is sitting in the vaults that anyone has heard of?
    'The Hero's Return Parts 1/2', which had another verse ('Jesus Christ I might as well be dead')....it was on a B side. The bowlderised 'Not Now John' (which I'm not sure I've ever heard!). ISTR the actual single version of 'When The Tigers Broke Free' has a different vocal take. Other than that, no. Just odds and ends like that but then again The Final Cut is like that as an album...made up of odds and ends!

I can't be bothered with any box set under 20-discs...
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    I can't be bothered with any box set under 20-discs...

As I recall, they had a massive laser show during Comfortably Numb that they usually didn't use on that song, and they were playing in the rain!
    I remember that - Gilmour looked like a god playing that solo in the rain
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart