Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast

Thread: Pink Floyd "The Later Years: 1987-2019" 17-disc box set 11/29/2019

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    I have heard nothing about separate releases. By contrast it was made clear in the promotion stages of The Early Years box that the year-by-year sets would be released separately. (To date I only have the Syd Barrett-era one because that was the main one for me.)

I don't see there being a big market for this box, given the enormous price.
    I wonder if they thought they could have sold more of the Early Years box if they didn't already say they were also having many smaller boxes. For me, I would have bought none but by having the separate boxes, I picked up three of them (1969, 1970, 1972). I know I missed some goodies that I would have like to have had, but for the most part, I didn't need most of what I didn't get. I still may pick up 1971. If the Later Years is only an all or nothing offer, then I am out.

I have heard nothing about separate releases. By contrast it was made clear in the promotion stages of The Early Years box that the year-by-year sets would be released separately. (To date I only have the Syd Barrett-era one because that was the main one for me.)

I don't see there being a big market for this box, given the enormous price.
    Me neither, nor can there be much profit in it. I imagine/hope that's its a teaser for separate releases to come.

Quote Originally Posted by Tangram View Post
    I wonder if they thought they could have sold more of the Early Years box if they didn't already say they were also having many smaller boxes. For me, I would have bought none but by having the separate boxes, I picked up three of them (1969, 1970, 1972). I know I missed some goodies that I would have like to have had, but for the most part, I didn't need most of what I didn't get. I still may pick up 1971. If the Later Years is only an all or nothing offer, then I am out.
    There's nothing on this box which compares with songs like 'Vegetable Man' being officially released for the first time. This Later Years box mostly offers expansions and alterations of things already available, and- obviously- there's a lot of late-career live stuff.

I think they released all this stuff decades too late. The sales are going to be pretty negligible now.

There's nothing on this box which compares with songs like 'Vegetable Man' being officially released for the first time. This Later Years box mostly offers expansions and alterations of things already available, and- obviously- there's a lot of late-career live stuff.

I think they released all this stuff decades too late. The sales are going to be pretty negligible now.
    I never underestimate the selling power of Pink Floyd...except this time. I think you are correct, the collectors and intense fans are mainly interested in the earlier material. The remixed AMLOR is interesting, and we have heard rumors about it for years. A full version of Delicate Sound of Thunder concert is appreciated but Knebworth and Atlanta concerts do nothing for me. Floyd no longer improvised so I don't think they will be much different from DSOT. I haven't heard those last two concerts and would like to surprised but I don't think so. The video for DSOT would be a nice upgrade from my VHS tape but I don't see myself playing it too much. The unreleased stuff is always of interest, but I'm not sure there is anything of great wow value there. I hope I'm wrong.

You're probably not...

really looking forward to owning this BluRay:

Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Yup, this might've been a (welcome, IMHO) marketing error to have announced that all too quickly, because all I needed was six months patience to get what I wanted, instead of what THEY wanted.
    I don't feel any regrets about not having the smaller boxsets I didn't thin I needed or that bigbox-only disc

well, I can't see them releasing this big box before The Endless River was released.

But yup in general - they waited too long, to the point that breaking even on this venture might not be that easy, given the lower fan interest.
    Though my perception could be imperfect, coz Floyd probably was never bigger than in the late 80's & 90's in terms of gigantism and media/crowd attraction.

I never underestimate the selling power of Pink Floyd...except this time. I think you are correct, the collectors and intense fans are mainly interested in the earlier material. The remixed AMLOR is interesting, and we have heard rumors about it for years. A full version of Delicate Sound of Thunder concert is appreciated but Knebworth and Atlanta concerts do nothing for me. Floyd no longer improvised so I don't think they will be much different from DSOT. I haven't heard those last two concerts and would like to surprised but I don't think so. The video for DSOT would be a nice upgrade from my VHS tape but I don't see myself playing it too much. The unreleased stuff is always of interest, but I'm not sure there is anything of great wow value there. I hope I'm wrong.
    Basically, that's it for me.... Sure there are the odd stuff in there that I could be interested in, but I'd never be getting much mileage at all, if I'd buy it.

Not even sure I'd get much mileage out of the stand-alone AMLOR remix either. So far it's an improvement, but there is only so much they can do to a relatively poor album. FTM, given the fact that I'm revisting the album tracks closely with the released new mix via YT, it sort of more than fill my need to ever re-listen to the album in a single run. I may do it once for the hell of it, but most likely that will be it.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I am kind of amazed how much attention Trane is giving to album he allegedly hates!
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    there is only so much they can do to a relatively poor album.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    I am kind of amazed how much attention Trane is giving to album he allegedly hates!
    indeed... he has said AMLOR is a bad album at least 10 times in this thread already

how much you wanna bet he says it 10 more times in this same thread?
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

The good news is that Delicate Sound Of Thunder has been completely re-edited.

They surely have to release at least that Blu-ray/DVD separately IMHO. God how I hated all that post-production stuff they did on the original. I would never have known that 35mm film was used based on the old VHS, so much slo-mo silliness.

The good news is that Delicate Sound Of Thunder has been completely re-edited.

They surely have to release at least that Blu-ray/DVD separately IMHO. God how I hated all that post-production stuff they did on the original. I would never have known that 35mm film was used based on the old VHS, so much slo-mo silliness.
    That's some good news!

Dave talks about the new DSOT video here:

Being a PF fanboy from way, way back, none of this stuff captures my interest. Most likely because I've grown older & my priorities have changed. Being a good fanboy, I picked up all of the recordings/VHS films when they were originally released: MLOR, DSOT, DB, & Pulse. This latter-day version of PF never sat well with me, nor did it's presentation. The songs just didn't resonate like Saucerful, Echoes, Astronomy, etc. And watching them became tedious. I didn't appreciate footage of adoring fans clapping & shouting although I didn't mind seeing Rachel Fury doing the very same thing. Just something about that black dress... But I digress. To me PF was more about mood & atmosphere & less about "songs" which is what they became despite what DG says at one point during that podcast.

Oh well, I wish everyone tolerance & patience & a willingness to try to understand all that diversity out there that everyone is so intent on talking about. Happiness will surely follow.
    I've got a bike you can ride it if you like

Actually, Sunday at my B&M store, I saw a single-disc compilation featuring stuff from this boxset (with that B&W pictures of two guys and the plan as an artwork)...
    It features Shine On You as the lead track and also has Run Like Hell and other pre-AMLOR tracks....

Which shows how much they need those tracks to sell their post-TFC era. I don't whether I should laugh or cry about this.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

That sampler is like the one for the Early Years box (where three Obscured By Clouds remixes were considered more worthy of inclusion than the hitherto-unreleased 'Vegetable Man'). It looks like they chose it at random. Just pointless, carelessly-assembled 'product', IMHO.

yeah, but no...
    The double disc sampler/compilation was released as an apetizer before the release of the big boxset, whereas this one is released after its related boxset's release.

Marketting-wise, it's a little crazy.

yeah, but no...
    The double disc sampler/compilation was released as an apetizer before the release of the big boxset, whereas this one is released after its related boxset's release.

In other words:

If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

bbbbbbb... bbb... But I want to like it siffle.gif

It just won't let me.

No you don't. But you can't seem to let go of bombarding this thread repeatedly. Is it OCD?
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    No you don't. But you can't seem to let go of bombarding this thread repeatedly.
    You're partly right, but mostly wrong. I don't care much for the big boxset (as with most here, who don't either)

I do tend confusing the two parallel threads: the present and the AMLOR remix one.

But I do care about liking AMLOR better through its new mix, though.

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Which shows how much they need those tracks to sell their post-TFC era. I don't whether I should laugh or cry about this.
    This is hardly a new marketing tactic.
    Chad

I picked up the single cd sampler and spent the weekend comparing the remixes against the originals.

You can read more on my blog review here:
    https://momentstransition.wordpress....s-cd1987-2019/

Quote Originally Posted by Valen View Post
    I picked up the single cd sampler and spent the weekend comparing the remixes against the originals.

Reading your review now... You do realize that there are Immersion box sets for DSOTM and WYWH, right?
    Chad

Quote Originally Posted by Valen View Post

Dooooh, now I get it....

Quote Originally Posted by Nearfest2 View Post
    yeah, but no...

This is hardly a new marketing tactic.
    I thought the boxset was out already for a few weeks already. But it's for Dec 13.

I thought the boxset was out already for a few weeks already. But it's for Dec 13.
    No, I meant including older live tracks attract buyers to the new ones.
    Chad