Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: General Thoughts on Streaming Services

Quote Originally Posted by Yodelgoat View Post
    Um not these days, no. In my younger days when bands received revenue from radio play I listened.
    Bands never received revenue from radio play. Not fifty years ago, not today. Radio doesn’t pay performance royalties in the United States. Only songwriters received royalties from radio play. Remember, a song has two primary royalties, one involving the songwriter for the underlying composition, and one involving the master recording for the performer. So in the case of a popular song like “Blinded By the Light”, Bruce Springsteen (songwriter) receives a royalty from radio play while Manfred Mann (performer) gets nothing. The United States is one of four countries in the world that operate this way, the other three being North Korea, China and Iran.
    Views expressed by the author do not necessarily represent those of Sony Music

Quote Originally Posted by Grimjack View Post
    Bands never received revenue from radio play. Not fifty years ago, not today. Radio doesn’t pay performance royalties in the United States.
    Actually, it does, but it only keeps track of the most popular playlists in major metropolitan areas, and so it gives the money collected on my behalf (for example) to Beyonce and Taylor.

Seriously. Google it.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"You run a great label, but sometimes you go out of your way to be a jerk." - Jed Levin

"The older I get, the more I realize that cynicism is just realism spelled wrong."

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    Actually, it does, but it only keeps track of the most popular playlists in major metropolitan areas, and so it gives the money collected on my behalf (for example) to Beyonce and Taylor.

Seriously. Google it.
    Seriously, it doesn’t. Never has. Satellite and interactive radio (like Pandora) is a different story but regular old terrestrial AM/FM radio has never, ever, ever, ever paid performance royalties. Ever ever ever ever ever. (Not to give you the idea that I’ve been in meetings with classic rock artists/managers recently who are ranting/railing about this very topic or anything like that of course...and I’d never say anything to disparage Legacy Recording artist Beyonce).
    Last edited by Grimjack; 1 Week Ago at 03:48 PM. Reason: Pressed send too quickly

Seriously, it doesn’t. Never has. Satellite and interactive radio (like Pandora) is a different story but regular old terrestrial AM/FM radio has never, ever, ever, ever paid performance royalties. Ever ever ever ever ever.
    Then it gives the songwriting royalties to the most famous people. There is money collected from every on - air station on behalf of rights holders. That's absolutely definite. I don't and didn't pay a lot of attention because, ultimately, none of it would ever make it to our folks, but I know it is collected.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"You run a great label, but sometimes you go out of your way to be a jerk." - Jed Levin

"The older I get, the more I realize that cynicism is just realism spelled wrong."

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Orange Tick Squasher Buddhabreath's Avatar
    P.S. We should get together some time in person and remember what each other looks like, while getting drunk enough that we can forget what each other looks like!
    LOL, I'd might be up for that! These days drunken forgetfulness is starting to look more and more appealing...
    The combined fortunes of the world's 26 richest individuals reached $1.4 trillion last year ó the same amount as the total wealth of the 3.8 billion poorest people.

Then it gives the songwriting royalties to the most famous people. There is money collected from every on - air station on behalf of rights holders. That's absolutely definite. I don't and didn't pay a lot of attention because, ultimately, none of it would ever make it to our folks, but I know it is collected.
    That’s right...radio pays SONGWRITERS but in the US/China/Iran/North Korea, radio gives PERFORMERS a big NOTHING. And they are fighting hard to keep it that way. So for all the bitching about how streaming services have been screwing artists, radio has a multi-decade head start on them!

Quote Originally Posted by Buddhabreath View Post
    ^^^

I see no reason whatsoever. Hell, somebody's gotta set me straight!
    It's okay to dream. Especially when you know you're already dead.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpyprogfan View Post
    A stream of one song pays the artist something like 1/1000 of a penny. No wonder most current musicians need a day job to survive.
    Do they get paid if you start streaming a song but donít finish it?

Bands never received revenue from radio play. Not fifty years ago, not today. Radio doesn’t pay performance royalties in the United States. Only songwriters received royalties from radio play. Remember, a song has two primary royalties, one involving the songwriter for the underlying composition, and one involving the master recording for the performer. So in the case of a popular song like “Blinded By the Light”, Bruce Springsteen (songwriter) receives a royalty from radio play while Manfred Mann (performer) gets nothing. The United States is one of four countries in the world that operate this way, the other three being North Korea, China and Iran.
    If anything, what streaming services are charged per play is exorbitant compared to over the air radio. In the early to mid 20 aughts, it was feared the comparatively massive fee, set by the Librarian of Congress, would smother internet radio in its infancy.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama