Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: 30 CD Live Box Set from Gentle Giant(October)

Quote Originally Posted by smcfee View Post
    I wonder which of the 17 versions of Funny Ways is the best.
    Or the funniest.

Speaking of Funny Ways, I have several live versions of that track, and it seems like there's almost always a technical glitch (feedback, microphone not turned on, etc.) on that track. The only "flawless" version I have is on the original, official live album Playing the Fool.

Quote Originally Posted by soundsweird View Post
    Speaking of Funny Ways, I have several live versions of that track, and it seems like there's almost always a technical glitch (feedback, microphone not turned on, etc.) on that track. The only "flawless" version I have is on the original, official live album Playing the Fool.
    No wonder they had to keep trying.

No wonder they had to keep trying.
    'Shaken, not stirred."
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

This space for rent: Well established location. Perfect opportunity for an up and coming smart-ass to benefit from our years of provocation!

"You run a great label, but sometimes you go out of your way to be a jerk." - Jed Levin

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by strawberrybrick View Post
    I don't really consider Madfish a "small, independent labels & publisher" which was my surprise - didn't get charged for the Gong box until just now. But I agree, the one benefit is that it is paid for by the time I receive it! Excited for this release!
    Wasnít the Gong released by Universal? So unless you ordered from BS (I did) and, instead, went to, say, Amazon, you wouldnít be charged in advance. Itís not always the label (though it can be); it is often the seller...and with BS a relatively (howís that?) small, independent online shop, I can understand their charging in advance.

Iíll be reviewing the Giant box, btw. Without wanting to dwell to long on it, not only was I able to convince Madfish to provide me with one of its very few promo copies (largely thanks to the Wishbone Ash box review I did last year) and for which I am truly grateful, I actually received my copy yesterday. While Iím just starting to get into it (and have to focus more, right now, on the ITCOTCK 50th and an electronic advance of Sid Smithís so-far-marvellous revision/expansion of In the Court of King Crimson), my initial comments: all albums have been remastered and I definitely think theyíre the best sounding stereo CD versions around (barring SWís remixes); SWís new stereo mix (included, along with surround sound, both in high res, in the Blu Ray) of the bandís 1970 debut is as revealing as ever, and an interesting contrast to the new master on the CD, which is from the original mix (and has its own revelations). The live material ranges in quality from cleaned-up-as-best-as-possible audience recordings to pretty darn high fidelity board (or, perhaps...Iíve not yet read in the book, multi-track) tapes, but quality be damned, as this box makes it possible to hear one or more show from every year, starting in 1971 and every year through 1980, with the exception of 1978 & Ď79, so you can really hear how live versions evolved over the years...and they did, indeed, evolve. It was surprising to me (I didnít follow the bandís bootlegs, so was only familiar with official releases, Hux BBC releases, etc) to see some early songs last much farther than I thought, like ďPlain Truth,Ē which was rehearsed in 1977, though doesnít show up in either show, and that a latter-day fave, ďAs Old As Youíre Young,Ē doesnít show up in the Ď77 shows but was rehearsed. So much to read: not just one book, but two - the hardcover, more biographical/historical one, and a lengthy softcover that documents the bandís many tours.

My first impression is that itís exactly what the committee GG fan would want. By remaastering original mixes (but including a new SW one also), without any extras that were often included on previous versions, it means fans donít feel ripped off as those older ones with bonus material are still relevant; and while the Ď77 rehearsal seems duplicated from prior releases, for example, Iím not sure yet if theyíre the exact same rehearsal takes, as there are differences in track lengths that suggest maybe not (but Iíve yet to have time to do a compare/contrast); and, barring the Ď71 show, a lot of the live stuff is either previously unreleased or never before on CD.

Meaning that, for me, most of my earlier Giant releases do not go to waste. Instead, between earlier remasters with bonus tracks, the SW remixes and, now, this box, Iíve got pretty much everything Iíll ever want to hear. Once Iíve reviewed the box, Iíll likely take the bonus material from earlier album releases and append them to the box set remasters in iTunes so everything is collected together in playlists. I can see myself listening to these remasters alternatively to the SW mixes, whereas with many of the SW reissues, I find myself getting rid of earlier versions. I donít know if this argument makes sense, but while there is duplication of original release material, by not including dupes of the older version bonus tracks, it means the box set is an addition, rather than a replacement...though, for the rare buyer who is new to GG, they do get the benefit of all the commercial albums.

But for everyone, in addition to all the printed material (plus a few fun extras), 17 cds of live material plus a new SW remix make it pretty darn good value for money (vs, for example, the Floyd Later Years box, which Iíll also be reviewing), even if you have other versions of their commercial releases. At least, thatís my first take.

One question, though (and it may be answered in the book): did they subsequently find the rest of the tracks from Gentle Giant or were the three tracks included on Three Piece Suite, from a couple years back, there because, since full multitracks couldnít be found for Acquiring the Taste & Three Friends, a conceptual decision was made, then, to include them to make that release a suite of early Giant material (and, I think, one that works very well)? Just curious. But, that said, itís still very nice to have one more SW mix of another GG album.

Anyway, my initial recommendation is: if you want to hear how the band really evolved as a live act, you canít to better than this box and, for that alone, it comes highly recommended...and thatís before I do the big review that yíall know is coming. And for those who either donít like or havenít felt compelled to pick up the SW remixes, these remasters do sound, on very initial listens, to be the best Iíve heard.
    John Kelman
    Senior Contributor, All About Jazz since 2004
    Freelance writer/photographer

Thanks John! Good to hear about the remasters and the live material. The multitracks for the first album were found after the release of 3 Piece Suite. Dan Bornemark had them all the time but they failed to check with him as mentioned somewhere upstream.

I wonder which of the 17 versions of Funny Ways is the best.
    If you're talking live versions, every one.
    The fact that Kerry can go out there, play an incredible set mainly on keys, but humbly walk over to the vibraphone for about a 2-1/2 minute solo in the middle of Funny Ways and show you he's just as proficient on that instrument as he is on kybds (maybe even more so) blows my mind.

It's not my favorite Giant tune by a long stretch, but I'll listen to 17 more versions of it, yeah.

~ M
    Last edited by Adv3MP; 10-21-2019 at 10:59 AM.

John’s preview there is inching me closer to the “I should probably buy this” camp.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Official 'unboxing' video:

Prog, Metal and Classic rock reviews/interviews - www.velvetthunder.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post

I was there...
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

Good Afternoon Folks -

I seem to remember a Canadian Gentleman, accompanied by his wife, and a very interesting and cool hat!

Was that you Dave Sr.?

Carry On
    Chris Buckley

Quote Originally Posted by winkersnufs View Post
    Good Afternoon Folks -

I seem to remember a Canadian Gentleman, accompanied by his wife, and a very interesting and cool hat!

Was that you Dave Sr.?

Carry On
    Chris Buckley
    You mean this hat?

Me & Deek 2019.jpg
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I'm still very tempted. A $1,000 car repair doesn't help though.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Get the box........and a Bus Pass.
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

That is way cool. Thanks for the video.

Thanks for posting

In the unboxing video, what did Gary mean about "absolute power corrupting" being a story of our time?

"If you want to see the true nature of humanity, just look at the internet."

http://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection

Quote Originally Posted by adap2it View Post
    You mean this hat?

Me & Deek 2019.jpg
    Nice, man.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Very tempting.... How much is that thing again??

If I get this, I'll have to get rid of all the GG stuff I have

The only thing missing arte DVDs with the many different concert footages, I guess.
    Last edited by Trane; 10-24-2019 at 12:24 PM.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Thanks for sharing the clip Progatron! It's great to see Derek, Gary, Kerry & Malcolm going over the GG box set. Although the set is WAY out of my budget, it looks like a real Banquet for Gentle Giant fans (and I'm really looking forward to John Kelman's review for the set).

I am so glad I'm not enamored by this sort of thing. Saves me a lot of money!!!

I've got the studio albums and Playing The Fool. That's all I'll ever need.

Long live Gentle Giant. Truly one of the best bands ever.
    Prog's Not Dead

I'm about to start a gofundme page for this sucker... gah!! I want it so bad.

Now I want it too ! , but its slightly over the budget... ahem...

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Now I want it too ! , but its slightly over the budget... ahem...
    I like Derek's detached and amused surprise : "Where was it?, was this really us? did we played there,"...the redundancy factor is just too high...btw what's the bootleg quality, I have a couple of them already from Highland and/or slightly remixed versions from previous box sets. Any essential improvement? I hope they sell the books on their own.
    Dieter Moebius : "Art people like things they donít understand!"

Lovely!