Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 30 CD Live Box Set from Gentle Giant(October)

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Soooo... you’re saying it’s a lie?

I mean, you gotta gauge the demand for any product. I don’t begrudge them for that. Not sure I’d even call that a “trick”.
    No, I don't begrudge them either..I'm just explaining why payment is required 3 months ahead. It's smart to do this when there is substantial capital needed to manufacture the product.
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

Quote Originally Posted by StarThrower View Post
    I didn't laugh out loud because I thought it was funny. It was more of an inner smile at the absurdity of the human dilemma. But it kind of fits in with the never ending quest to re-purchase music in bigger packages for those extra tidbits and morsels we imagine will make our lives complete. Until the next one comes along. I'm happy with my original GG albums up through Playing The Fool. And I enjoy the Under Construction set.
    You're right the comment itself was cynically funny ....
    unfortunately, it's also very close to the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Buddhabreath View Post
    Yes indeed. We have let Greta Thunberg and her generation down and just when we need revolutionary changes, global cooperation and emergency war-footing investments in evasive action and targeted research - science and technology aimed at the problem including vast carbon sequestration, brain-dead criminal fascists, religious nuts and morons are coming more into power led by the repulsive Orange Tick from the United Snakes. This might just be the biggest fight in the history of humanity, but we may not see the true size and shape until hundreds of millions of lives are in peril...
    we're treading on the political topics site policy (and it's my fault - Admins, please suppress my post if you feel like it does go over the limit), but one of the solutions is also to stop multiplying humans as if we were rabbits without predators.
    Unfortunately capitalism counts on the population increase to increase the economic growth, while we should be really organizing a "programmed de-growth" for the planet's sake, but there is no way the Grand Capital is even willing to start discussing it, let alone envisage it

Quote Originally Posted by Sunlight Caller View Post
    I sit in the camp of not blaming GG for the cash grab of this collection. In actual fact I think that sounds a little mean-spirited, now that I read it back. I really enjoy these curated career spanning collections,
    Well, I can't blame any band with so little commercial success to try to milk the cash cows we are.
    However, when it comes to the bigger bands (Floyd, Genesis & Yes) I'm not as forgiving, though I ultimately don't care
    It's not like anyone is putting a gun to my head and forcing me to buy it.
    That's also why I haven't really bought any of those big career-encapsulating boxset...
    The only one I did buy is AZ's, but it's not like I got any mileage out of it either, past the first exploration. I'll probably dive back ibn if I'm in a drought in my search for new music.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Not sure Iíd even call that a ďtrickĒ.
    definitely a "twist" and a "pique", for sure. ,)
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Orange Tick Squasher Buddhabreath's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    we're treading on the political topics site policy (and it's my fault - Admins, please suppress my post if you feel like it does go over the limit), but one of the solutions is also to stop multiplying humans as if we were rabbits without predators.
    Unfortunately capitalism counts on the population increase to increase the economic growth, while we should be really organizing a "programmed de-growth" for the planet's sake, but there is no way the Grand Capital is even willing to start discussing it, let alone envisage it
    Yes, I will stop with the politics even though this is an issue that should transcend politics. I basically agree with what you're saying. I once heard Terence McKenna state that he asked the "psychedelic elves" (or whatever the inter-dimensional entities he communicated with during his DMT sessions) how to best solve the world's problems and the answer was to ensure that nobody had more than one child. I think that's spot on. In a few generations we could have a sustainable population and a sustainable world with even more GG box sets and perhaps avoid runaway climate change and mass extinction. Of course we as a species are most likely too selfish and short-sighted to ever make such a sacrifice even if it meant survival so we're all gonna die! Have a nice day!
    Last edited by Buddhabreath; 3 Weeks Ago at 11:07 AM.
    The combined fortunes of the world's 26 richest individuals reached $1.4 trillion last year ó the same amount as the total wealth of the 3.8 billion poorest people.

Quote Originally Posted by adap2it View Post
    It's an old marketing trick...the idea is to get the money first and then proceed with the manufacturing process. This way they have some idea of what the demand will be.
    Alan Kinsman whose name some of you may recognize posted this to the O-R list. Dave Sr. has been around the block and obviously knows the deal!

To answer the earlier question, Snapper have confirmed to me that the box set will NOT be available to buy at GORGG.

Advance orders are currently being taken via Burning Shed and on social media, but the main production run will not be taking place until late October or early November. I gather there may be some advance copies for promotional purposes and, if these are produced prior to GORGG, there is a chance that Kerry and Lesley may bring one over, but there will definitely not be any available to buy in New Jersey.

HTH

Alan

I bought it. No apologies here.
    Spent MANY years tightening my belt (house & both cars paid off, credit cards down to virtually nothing).
    Just gotta get the kids thru college - but we've saved pretty well for that, too.

So what if I have all of the studio CDs, occasional audience recording, DVD, barrel scrapings, etc.
    Least I can do for all of the joy that band of gentlemen has given me over the years. I just hope they get something out of it.

Don't feel stupid or guilty here...not a bit, nope.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I'm really tempted....but I'm resisting. Mostly because I have a huge GG collection. I did go to the record store in the 70s to inquire about concert tickets but didn't go (I was 14 years old). Now, that's a regret.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I'm really tempted....but I'm resisting. Mostly because I have a huge GG collection. I did go to the record store in the 70s to inquire about concert tickets but didn't go (I was 14 years old). Now, that's a regret.
    I was fortunate enough to have my brother take me when I was 13 to see the Civilian tour. Sadly, I don't remember too much of it due to the fact that I spent the entire concert worrying about how I was gonna explain to my mom that I had gotten a warning notice sent home from school that day. BUT, I recently found on YT a live GG concert at Toad's Place (New Haven, CT) that happened literally the day after I went to see them, so thankfully I got to relive the experience to some degree.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UeKJDLXGfM

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Cool.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound.

Orange Tick Squasher Buddhabreath's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I was in high school and 17 years old when they came to town. I went with two older friends and I got carded and they did not let me in. I asked if I can just at least go and buy a T-shirt. They said yes. I bought the shirt, nobody was looking so I strolled in and saw one of the greatest concerts of my life. I still have the shirt.

Of course nobody should feel guilty for buying the box set and supporting the lads. I'm still tempted.
    The combined fortunes of the world's 26 richest individuals reached $1.4 trillion last year ó the same amount as the total wealth of the 3.8 billion poorest people.

Autobuy if it would actually happen I'm a real GG sucker, I know

When I was a 15 years old teenager GG was the very first concert which I attented (with Banco as opening act !), thus they have a very unique place in my heart. No matter how hard I try to convince myself that I don't need it (as a GG fan I already have most of their records) I know I’ll give in eventually and buy the boxset anyway. The question is how long will I resist ?

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Krautman View Post
    When I was a 15 years old teenager GG was the very first concert which I attented (with Banco as opening act !), thus they have a very unique place in my heart. No matter how hard I try to convince myself that I don't need it (as a GG fan I already have most of their records) I know I’ll give in eventually and buy the boxset anyway. The question is how long will I resist ?
    Hopefully not longer than when the 2000 copies are gone!

GG posted this on FB today:

The band wanted to say a quick thank you to all for your support.
    We’re very grateful for the fantastic response to the ‘Unburied Treasure’ box set. Madfish has informed us that it’s their fastest selling deluxe set to date! Here is the picture of the first box, which arrived for inspection before the other 1,999 are made and delivered.

I still need Civilian on CD, but there are far cheaper ways to get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dok View Post
    This looks nice, it could be interesting if the box alone would be sold as a container for the vinyls.
    Dieter Moebius : "Art people like things they donít understand!"

Quote Originally Posted by strawberrybrick View Post
    Not the happiest to see my credit card was charged for something that will ship in 3 months time...
    Itís not uncommon. Iíve titles preordered and paid for from Mobile Fidelity (SACD Hybrids), as well as linited edition signed books, not to mention a fair share of music box sets. It helps what are, indeed, small, independent labels & publishers curate, design and manufacture without going too deeply into the red. Iíve never been burned by any of them (and have waited as much as 2-3 years for some), so I donít mind paying up front. Plus, by the time the items ship, with my already having paid, itís nice to know itís paid for and Iíll not get charged now. Weird logic, I suppose, but there it is.

And my experiences have all been 100% excellent, so pre-paying is truly fine by me.
    John Kelman
    Senior Contributor, All About Jazz since 2004
    Freelance writer/photographer

I don't really consider Madfish a "small, independent labels & publisher" which was my surprise - didn't get charged for the Gong box until just now. But I agree, the one benefit is that it is paid for by the time I receive it! Excited for this release!
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Quote Originally Posted by strawberrybrick View Post
    I don't really consider Madfish a "small, independent labels & publisher" which was my surprise - didn't get charged for the Gong box until just now. But I agree, the one benefit is that it is paid for by the time I receive it! Excited for this release!
    Anyone but Universal/Sony and Time Warner are small and independent labels.
    John Kelman
    Senior Contributor, All About Jazz since 2004
    Freelance writer/photographer

Ordered...

Doesn’t it make sense that if the band/producers are already looking at an approval copy of the whole box set that this may ship well before December? Or was that only the empty box they were approving?

Ordered…. Now see my wallet gently bleed...

Gary Green and Rachel FLowers performing Proclamation on the presentation of the boxset. Gary looks good, hope he can get something going as Three Friends, that band was great.

Edit, bonus video with Kerry on keyboards!:

I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.