Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: 30 CD Live Box Set from Gentle Giant(October)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    It appears that it's not even the actual cardboard mask with elastic band that was issued as a promo item, just the paper innersleeve from Giant for a Day. Cheap.
    That did it damn it! I'm out!

You know, I remember very well waiting for the new GG album "Giant for a Day", giving it a spin, feeling my stomach sink, contemplating the shit artwork and cut-out lines on the cover, and actually thinking about reaching for the scissors. Instead I just threw the album in the trash, used the record for a frisbee and moved on...

Note that the "Giant for a Day" album does not appear on the box set cover!

Quote Originally Posted by Jay.Dee View Post
    Wishbone Ash and Steve Hillage boxsets are already sold out, which makes me think that the similar packages from Gentle Giant, Gong and (expectedly) Caravan are going to sell out too.
    The Hillage box has a LOT of otherwise unavailable material. And not as much repetition of repertoire. And not in bootleg sound. Seems like a better value. IMO
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Wishbone Ash and Steve Hillage boxsets are already sold out, which makes me think that the similar packages from Gentle Giant, Gong and (expectedly) Caravan are going to sell out too.

I pass(ed) on all of them though.
    Hillage Box Set still available at Planet Gong

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by progman1975 View Post
    Hillage Box Set still available at Planet Gong
    And Wayside Music, now that you mention it!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

I pass(ed) on all of them though.

Haven't totally ruled out the GG boxset (but not at the current price, that's for certain) , but I've passed up on all of these other packages (and TD's Remixes as well), though I may actually go for the Caravan (not only is it fair-priced, but I want those cardboards sleeves - if they are well made)
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    The Hillage box has a LOT of otherwise unavailable material. And not as much repetition of repertoire. And not in bootleg sound. Seems like a better value. IMO
    I fully concur. I bought many BIG (read:expensive) boxsets these last years and consider the Hillage Box the best buy as far as attention to details, looks, completeness, sound quality and contents are concerned. (Very) highly recommended. Get it as long as it is available (see above).

I'm tempted by the giant GG boxset but repetition of the same repertoire (which didn't changed too much between tours) is a big deterrent for me and I already have (too ?) many GG live records (some of dubious sound quality). I'm mostly interested by the studio (remastered) albums since my collection is made up from various editions and is quite inconsistent as far as sound quality/mastering are concerned. Maybe the boxset will sell out quickly and prices will climlbing but I've already heard that "strictly limited to xxxx copies" argument too often.
    Last edited by Mr.Krautman; 09-20-2019 at 04:46 PM.

I'd call this Scraping the Barrel, but they have already done one of those!

"Angels die, redemption rages
    The age of man on an empty page
    And chances are
    This will save your soul or break it forever "

Quote Originally Posted by Kanukisbrave View Post
    I'd call this Scraping the Barrel, but they have already done one of those!
    Now it's Scraping the Barrels...
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

Hmmm I probably shouldn’t kid myself somehow I’ll end up with this. First thought: it is frustratingly missing some bonus tracks on other individual releases like single edits. Will have to do some analysis to see if various live bonus tracks are now represented in full.

Then lack of the blu Ray components of all but the first album is a bummer. so, can’t sell those releases.

I like it best when a big set like this is really all inclusive, but seems like this one isn’t. maybe would have been better as just a live set to lower the cost given anyone interested in this must have all the albums

At least it has heroes on civilian!

These boxed sets are getting totally ridiculous! What's next , a 90-CD Adele boxed set limited to 10 worldwide at $1500, but you get some of her
    bellybutton lint as a bonus?
    We are the grandchildren of apes, not angels
    But only we are gifted with the eyes to see
    On days without FEAR, when our heads are clear
    That angels, we could be
    (Marillion 2016)

I’m in for this. Rather excited about it, actually.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gojikranz View Post
    Then lack of the blu Ray components of all but the first album is a bummer. so, can’t sell those releases.
    What does this mean? What’s missing? I’m just not understanding.

Quote Originally Posted by Garyhead View Post

Actually, I just checked....Box Set - $332.57 + Shipping - $39.96!
    Where are you seeing $39.96 shipping? I tried to order from Burning Shed and the postage is upwards of £60!

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Where are you seeing $39.96 shipping? I tried to order from Burning Shed and the postage is upwards of £60!
    I used the checkout function and that was the price to Washington State. Crimea River must be farther away....
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

Well that doesn't make a great deal of sense, as you're farther from them than I am. Not that that should make any difference. They did the same thing to me with the Tangerine Dream box. If the bastards don't want me to buy from them, they could just send me an email.

I tried again and got a £30 shipping cost, so I ordered. Maybe they have a big roulette wheel that they spin to determine postage.

I really like Under Construction and Giant In The Box, Scrapping the Barrel was Ok IMO, but I definitely pass on this one unless they sell the book apart.
    Dieter Moebius : "Art people like things they don’t understand!"

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    What does this mean? What’s missing? I’m just not understanding.
    Power and the glory, Octopus,
    As well as portions of acquiring the taste and three friends had steven Wilson surround mixes that are not here.

Additionally free hand and interview had quad mixes on dvd.

Quote Originally Posted by alucard View Post
    I really like Under Construction and Giant In The Box, Scrapping the Barrel was Ok IMO, but I definitely pass on this one unless they sell the book apart.
    and you call yourself Alucard !!!

Check out the book review section in ProgArchives' forum, there is a GG book called Acquiring The Taste (by Paul Stump) that I reviewed about 10/12 years go. Not very long a book (less than 200p), but contains everything you'd want to read about the band.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gojikranz View Post
    Power and the glory, Octopus,
    As well as portions of acquiring the taste and three friends had steven Wilson surround mixes that are not here.

Additionally free hand and interview had quad mixes on dvd.
    So for Power and Octopus, your only talking about the surround mixes? I guess maybe there were Needle Drops and such too.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    So for Power and Octopus, your only talking about the surround mixes? I guess maybe there were Needle Drops and such too.
    Yep instrumentals as well for the Wilson ones.

I discussed yesterday with a librarian in the only Paris mediateque with a large prog section. The librarian had recently bought all Jethro Tull and Pink Floyd boxsets and I mentionned the GG set and we both had a big laugh about the tendency of cashing in on prog fans. So he will not buy the GG set mainly because he already bought everything available so far by GG, but he ordered the new Caravan set because they didn't have the whole Caravan catalogue and he liked the mini replica cd's.

Laughing at GG's expense?! Sacrebleu!

The details for this box say it contains a Wilson surround mix of the entire first album: "3 Piece Suite" only included 3 track from the debut album. I seem to recall around the time "3 Piece Suite" was released that the band's Facebook page mentioned some of the multitracks were missing, then Dan Bornemark mentioned he had them (!). Seemed odd to me at the time that the band hadn't checked with an 'expert' with whom they had worked in the past...

So maybe for this box they are throwing us a bone of a full remix of the first album.

Quote Originally Posted by Dok View Post
    Laughing at GG's expense?! Sacrebleu!
    More laughing at ourselves to be stupid enough to buy the same records over and over again.
    :-)