Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: 30 CD Live Box Set from Gentle Giant(October)

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    I'm affraid I have to let this one pass as well. As much as I love Gentle Giant, I don't think I want to buy everything I own for a second time.
    That's a big problem with several groups I love. At some point in time, I've got every studio-album and at that moment they decide to put out a box-set with all studio-albums and perhaps one, or two CD's with unreleased bonus stuff.
    Yeah, I'm the same way. For example, that new Earthworks box looks beautiful, but I already own all but two of the discs.
    Last edited by Progatron; 11-20-2019 at 07:44 PM.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by calyx View Post
    "According facebook speculation from the Shulman brothers"

Sorry, but this means absolutely nothing.
    Someone posted a photo of the 3 Shulman brothers who recently had a family reunion, and in the comments someone wrote about a "30 CD live box set", but there's no indication that this is really happening, or is there ?
    Maybe it is this one? https://www.blazemonger.com/GG/Memor...uried_Treasure

I never meant to say there NEVER were plans for a boxed set, but there had been indications that this had been abandoned (possibly due to the lack of good enough quality material - an issue that still makes some of us skeptical that a convincing product could be assembled from what's known to exist), so I thought the FB comment might either be misinformed, trolling or a joke. I'm happy if it isn't and something really great is in the works.

Interesting list, anyway. I'd have to cross-check with Jack Skelly's GG tours site to see what he says of each (length, sound quality...), but I don't have time to do it now - maybe someone else can do it.
    Calyx (Canterbury Scene) - http://www.calyx-canterbury.fr
    Legends In Their Own Lunchtime (blog) - https://canterburyscene.wordpress.com/
    My latest books : "Yes" (2017) - https://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/yes/ + "L'Ecole de Canterbury" (2016) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/lecoledecanterbury/ + "King Crimson" (2012/updated 2018) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/kingcrimson/
    Canterbury & prog interviews - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdf...IUPxUMA/videos

And here I was thinking over the last decade or so there has been a plethora of live releases from this band.. I count 10 being offered on Amazon.. maybe they aren't all legit..

Lucky Man
    On a more personal note, what a great picture of the Brothers Shulman.

How great it is to see them.

Cheers, fellas.
    Perhaps finding the happy medium is harder than we know.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    Probably!

"Unburied Treasure is a planned CD boxed set of Gentle Giant music and memorabilia from Madfish Records, a label of Snapper Music. It is due in 2019. It will be a limited edition of 2500 copies and include all 12 original albums, many discs of live recordings, a coffee table-sized book of memorabilia, and more."

A book the size of a coffee table? That won't be cheap, lol...
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    A book the size of a coffee table? That won't be cheap, lol...
    It's for Giants you know

I'll make this the Missing Piece in my GG collection, unless they sell the book apart at a gentle price.
    Dieter Moebius : "Art people like things they don’t understand!"

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    It's for Giants you know
    I should've seen that coming!
    <sig out of order>

the main thing i recall being talked about that would be high quality unreleased audio is supposedly they have the tapes from every night that were used to compile playing the fool. but likely nothing too shocking there just different performances of the same material we already have.

Quote Originally Posted by gojikranz View Post
    ...but likely nothing too shocking there just different performances of the same material we already have.
    Different performances of the same material from the same tour. Will be very unexciting; there was very little variation from night to night on the same tour.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Playing The Fool has been remixed from the multitracks by Dan Bornemark. I wouldn't be surprised if this might be a part of the box or it might not. It is supposedly being reissued this year when I asked several months ago.

Some excerpts from Dan's O-R emails -

"The four venues recorded for PtF are Dusseldorf, Munich, Brussels and Paris.

So, back to the multi track tapes. In the winter of 1996 I went to Birmingham to transfer all I had found on analog multi track tapes to digital tapes.

From Playing the Fool: About 75% of the four shows recorded for the album. Yes, on 24-track tape!

Well, after releasing PtF some of the actual 24-track tapes were used again by Ray, Gary and Kerry in the early eighties to record other music on. So I know for a fact that the lost recordings actually are gone in favour for newer compositions such as Home Again, On Safari and such.

A complete collection of the four shows is in other words not possible to obtain. BUT, as I said, I am mixing everything that still exist these exact days! The sound is excellent and I'm taking the utmost care of all little details so that the result is clean from unwanted hum, feedback-noises have been taken away wherever possible, the delicate balance between the instruments (and they are MANY, as you know) is taken care of. It's a pleasure to mix, a life long dream as many of you know, and Sisyphean task to undertake. "

And finally in answer to my question of how the remixing was coming along back in March -

"We are super exited about the result of the mixes! Killer sound, as JPW [Pugwash] put it when he heard a snippet in Manchester... ! "

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    I'm pretty certain that this set will indeed contain audience recordings, as well as shows that have already been released as official bootlegs. A while back Snapper sent out a request for memorabilia from the following shows, so they are presumably to be included:

DUSSELDORF 1971
    ESSEN 1972
    NEW ORLEANS 1972
    HOLLYWOOD BOWL 1972
    VICENZA 1973
    TORINO 1973 (= In a Palesport boot, also included on Scraping the Barrel)
    MUNSTER 1974 (= Prologue boot)
    CLEVELAND 1975 (= Playing the Cleveland boot)
    BASEL 1975
    CHESTER 1977
    It looks that Düsseldorf '71 is missing from the final set-list:

• The 12 original albums released during the band's active years, including live album Playing the Fool
    • Two albums released after the disbanding: Winchester 1971 (live) & Pinewood Rehearsal 1977 (outtakes)

15 official previously unreleased live albums:

• Essen 1972 *
    • New Orleans 1972 (feat. three previously unreleased BBC recordings)
    • Hollywood Bowl 1972 *
    • Vicenza 1973 *
    • Torino 1973
    • Munster 1974 *
    • St Gallen 1974 *
    • Cleveland Agora 1975
    • Basel 1975 *
    • Dusseldorf 1976 Part 1 †
    • Dusseldorf & Brussels 1976 Part 2 †
    • Munich 1976 †
    • Paris 1976 †
    • Chester 1977
    • Roxy 1980

* Audience recording remastered for the highest possible quality
    † Unreleased material from the 'Playing the Fool' gigs remixed by GG expert Dan Bornemark
    https://burningshed.com/gentle-giant...reasure_boxset

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Ten years ago - I would have been all over this box. I actually have all studio releases and ton of live music. Would like to buy the book separately but this is a pipe dream. I agree that what you get is a decent value.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar

From the Burning Shed "Thursday Release e-mail" announcement:
    One of the extras include......"Replica Missing Piece jigsaw, which was a promotional item for the album when originally released. One randomly chosen boxset will also include the MISSING GOLDEN PIECE, which, when claimed, will award the owner with the coveted 'The Power & The Glory' screen printed mirror"

Uh Oh Jed.....you're going to have to break open the cellophane of the Box Set to see if you have the "golden ticket!"

Will Lasers Edge carry this??? I imagine shipping from the UK will be substantial....

Actually, I just checked....Box Set - $332.57 + Shipping - $39.96!

Limited to 2000 units worldwide.....this isn't going to be collecting dust on warehouse shelves 12 months from now.
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

I can't justify that kind of money for stuff I mostly already have (though I imagine the live shows will be improved sound wise). I would love to have the books, but not for that price. Still, it isn't a bad price for all you get, just too rich for my blood.

Quote Originally Posted by olivetti View Post
    Probably!

"Unburied Treasure is a planned CD boxed set of Gentle Giant music and memorabilia from Madfish Records, a label of Snapper Music. It is due in 2019. It will be a limited edition of 2500 copies and include all 12 original albums, many discs of live recordings, a coffee table-sized book of memorabilia, and more."
    Burning Shed has it listed as limited to 2000 copies, and lists a release date of 06-12-2019, which I guess means Dec. 6th.

Quote Originally Posted by Garyhead View Post
    Uh Oh Jed.....you're going to have to break open the cellophane of the Box Set to see if you have the "golden ticket!"
    I refuse to fondle without a condom!

I love GG but most of us have most of this already...
    The Prog Corner

This may be a silly question, but will the albums that were recently-ish remixed, etc. by Wislon be the ones used for this set?

Banned
    Ugh. I have multiple versions of most of this stuff, almost half the live CDs are audience recordings, but what the hell! I just have to have that Replica 'Giant For A Day' mask...

Quote Originally Posted by Garyhead View Post

Limited to 2000 units worldwide.....this isn't going to be collecting dust on warehouse shelves 12 months from now.
    Two Thousand copies of something like this - that contains so many things that people already own and so much duplication of songs - may very well be collecting dust on a warehouse shelf in 12 months.

We....shall...see!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Buddhabreath View Post
    Ugh. I have multiple versions of most of this stuff, almost half the live CDs are audience recordings, but what the hell! I just have to have that Replica 'Giant For A Day' mask...
    It appears that it's not even the actual cardboard mask with elastic band that was issued as a promo item, just the paper innersleeve from Giant for a Day. Cheap.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    Two Thousand copies of something like this - that contains so many things that people already own and so much duplication of songs - may very well be collecting dust on a warehouse shelf in 12 months.
    Wishbone Ash and Steve Hillage boxsets are already sold out, which makes me think that the similar packages from Gentle Giant, Gong and (expectedly) Caravan are going to sell out too.

I pass(ed) on all of them though.