Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: 30 CD Live Box Set from Gentle Giant(October)

Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post
    Absolutely. And, oh yes....absolutely!
    Since there are more than 5000 GG FB members, it's not surprising that more product is required. I am thrilled that the Giant is alive after all these years, but I know deep down that this is just a piss in the ocean quantity and that Giant will never get the recognition they so richly deserve. For me, it's a little too late to be buying box sets of any kind, having decided more than 5 years ago that it's time to stop accumulating THINGS, this includes physical recorded media. It does hurt a little to not be a part of the joy of receiving UT, however, my mind was made up and have no plans to change it.
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    Gentle Giant finally clicked with me not too long ago after many years of wondering what all the fuss was about, but their CD catalog seems like a total hodgepodge with a bunch of titles out of print and different generations of reissues on the secondary market with pricing all over the place. Iím not ďinĒ for a 30 disc box, but Iíd be ďinĒ for a more basic ďDiscoveryĒ type box of just the core catalog with standardized mastering and sound quality.
    "It was a cruel song, but fair."-Roger Waters

Quote Originally Posted by adap2it View Post
    Since there are more than 5000 GG FB members, it's not surprising that more product is required. I am thrilled that the Giant is alive after all these years, but I know deep down that this is just a piss in the ocean quantity and that Giant will never get the recognition they so richly deserve. For me, it's a little too late to be buying box sets of any kind, having decided more than 5 years ago that it's time to stop accumulating THINGS, this includes physical recorded media. It does hurt a little to not be a part of the joy of receiving UT, however, my mind was made up and have no plans to change it.
    I can understand that, and buy a lot of downloadable high res content these days. But we renovated in 2015, and now Iíve got room, so if thereís hard media releases that offer something special? Iím in. But I hear ya.
    John Kelman
    Senior Contributor, All About Jazz since 2004
    Freelance writer/photographer

Quote Originally Posted by smcfee View Post
    Kinda feels like they could sell 2000 in Quebec alone.
    It would seem so (that more than 3,000 could sell in the world), but with so many people moving to streaming, itís not as big a market as you might think. When I heard 2,000 I thought it was a touch short ... Iíd have gone 2,500..but here we are with 3k and I couldnít be happier for Madfish or Giant (who probably thought 2k was a stretch!)....
    John Kelman

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Did anyone get the magic ticket yet? Tomorrow morning Iíll be sitting under the tree happily stroking my Treasure.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Did anyone get the magic ticket yet? Tomorrow morning Iíll be sitting under the tree happily stroking my Treasure.
    Enjoy!
    John Kelman

Rats. No golden piece.

But a shit ton of GG goodness.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Loving the box, much more so than my family.
    One minor niggle - there's no "master list" or "index" of all the CDs. On a positive note, the sound quality is much better than expected!
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Also, small indie labels like Madfish, Panegyric, Cuneiform, MoonJune, etc absolutely do not treat what they do as product. Of course they want their releases to sell, but whether you believe me or not I know that their objectives are driven by art, not the bottom line. Obviously they want to sell enough to recoup expenses and make some money, but none of them are getting fabulously wealthy doing what they do.
    I don't think I'd include Madfish in that list. They released a Gong box licensed from Charly, among other crimes and, of course, non-crimes.

But the Gentle Giant catalog is total product. There have been many (five? six?) reissues of the catalog, and some of this box has been previously released. It's all fine, I love the band, I love the music - I spent my money on it - and I get that everyone needs to make a buck - but please, "career-spanning" box sets are the current product du jour. Made with love, made for the fans, made to cement a legacy, that's all for sure, but product nonetheless.
    Last edited by strawberrybrick; 4 Weeks Ago at 09:47 PM.
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Good news , a second Unburied Treasure set popped up at my favourite record store ( Gibert Joseph , 26 Boulevard Saint Michel , 75006 Paris) If you are in Paris and have some extra luggage space there are two boxsets waiting. I wanted to put them side by side and make a Matching Mole like pic but the shelf looked already a bit overloaded with one. Again I resisted the now double temptation and opted for The Pentangle 7 Cd box set when I realised, that I had only A basket full of light and a vinyl compilation. The Pentangle boxset was also a bit expensive , but has an extensive booklet and about 30 minutes unreleased bonus tracks on every CD.
    Dieter Moebius : "Art people like things they donít understand!"

Quote Originally Posted by alucard View Post
    Good news , a second Unburied Treasure set popped up at my favourite record store ( Gibert Joseph , 26 Boulevard Saint Michel , 75006 Paris) If you are in Paris and have some extra luggage space there are two boxsets waiting. I wanted to put them side by side and make a Matching Mole like pic but the shelf looked already a bit overloaded with one. Again I resisted the now double temptation and opted for The Pentangle 7 Cd box set when I realised, that I had only A basket full of light and a vinyl compilation. The Pentangle boxset was also a bit expensive , but has an extensive booklet and about 30 minutes unreleased bonus tracks on every CD.
    The Pentangle set is wonderful. Lots of bonus material, well-done remastering and great documentation. Couldn't ask for more!
    John Kelman

^ Is that on Cherry Red?

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    ^ Is that on Cherry Red?
    Yes it is,
    There is also a 6 CD set with the first John Renbourn records on Cherry Tree (a sublabel of Cherry Red) also with a booklet and bonus tracks.

Again I resisted the now double temptation and opted for The Pentangle 7 Cd box set when I realised, that I had only A basket full of light and a vinyl compilation. The Pentangle boxset was also a bit expensive , but has an extensive booklet and about 30 minutes unreleased bonus tracks on every CD.
    The Pentangle set is wonderful. Lots of bonus material, well-done remastering and great documentation. Couldn't ask for more!
    Love that Pentangle boxset

I just scored the Tim Buckley boxset for 29.00 whatevers
    https://www.superdeluxeedition.com/n...n-8cd-box-set/
    Not Cherry Red, no booklet, but all his best album in cardboard sleeves, including three gatefolds

I'll have to check out the Renbourn set.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Love that Pentangle boxset

I just scored the Tim Buckley boxset for 29.00 whatevers
    https://www.superdeluxeedition.com/n...n-8cd-box-set/
    Not Cherry Red, no booklet, but all his best album in cardboard sleeves, including three gatefolds

I'll have to check out the Renbourn set.
    Sweet! Thanks for the heads up on the Buckley box. Also have the Pentangle box, good value for money.

Quote Originally Posted by flytomars View Post
    Sweet! Thanks for the heads up on the Buckley box. Also have the Pentangle box, good value for money.
    Found it at Espace Culturel Leclerc in Nantes.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I really like also the layout of the Pentangle box set, looks good and fits nicely in the shelf. This type with a hard cover box and the book style boxsets like the Jethro Tull and the Pink Floyd ones are my favourites.

F20200104_181038.jpg
    News from the box sets, I wonder how long they will stay, one got a nice neighbour now : a Gong boxset. Rare but I found no satisfying record and while strolling through the music DVD section I found a second hand copy of Scorceses Harrison documentary Living In A Material World.

I understand all these things, of course. I just wish it werenít that way. Sure, between OOP box sets and signed limited edition books, Iíve a potentially good chunk of money, were I ever to need it. But itís not why I buy these things; I buy them because I want to enjoy them and to cherish them. All other considerations are secondary.
    It is business
    Effectively , i am interested by few lives and for hear it , i must to buy the totally Unburied Treasure ...
    The price of box set is high but the possibilities of speculation are great.
    After , the selling of 2000 pieces (first pressing) and preordered 1000 pieces (second pressing) , the speculation on second market run always !!!
    It is available for others box set...
    " je m'amuse ŗ vieillir , c'est une occupation de tous les instants " Paul Lťautaud

Quote Originally Posted by Frumious B View Post
    Gentle Giant finally clicked with me not too long ago after many years of wondering what all the fuss was about, but their CD catalog seems like a total hodgepodge with a bunch of titles out of print and different generations of reissues on the secondary market with pricing all over the place. I’m not “in” for a 30 disc box, but I’d be “in” for a more basic “Discovery” type box of just the core catalog with standardized mastering and sound quality.

You may already know about this, but a few years ago a set was released called “I Lost My Head”. This has their releases from 75-80. Remastered and sounds great imho. It’s pretty reasonable too....doesn’t have them all, but does have 5 studio and Playing The Fool.....worth checking out....
    So much music....so little time....

F20200104_181038.jpg
    News from the box sets, I wonder how long they will stay, one got a nice neighbour now : a Gong boxset. Rare but I found no satisfying record and while strolling through the music DVD section I found a second hand copy of Scorceses Harrison documentary Living In A Material World.
    Latest update: I picked up the last one today, no more available at this shop. Very fairly priced too. Thanks to Alucard for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Krautman View Post
    Latest update: I picked up the last one today, no more available at this shop. Very fairly priced too. Thanks to Alucard for the info.
    Kind of sad not to see them anymore , but at least the temptation is now gone thanks to you :-)

....btw a Gentle Giant catalogue vinyl re-release would be on my wishlist. I still don't have good copies of Three Friends and Acquiring The Taste. I actually bought this week a near mint German Mercury re-release of Aquiring The Taste on the Motive series, but it does not have the original cover....

R-936281-1174763840.jpeg.jpg

I have listened the unburied box ...promo with 6 live tracks ...
    It is attractive !!!
    " je m'amuse ŗ vieillir , c'est une occupation de tous les instants " Paul Lťautaud

I hope now I'll be able to find a reasonable priced CD copy of Civilian now! It's the only GG studio album I don't have.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Apologies if this info was somewhere in this long thread but...

How is the sound quality on the live stuff? How do the live shows compare with each other, track list and performance wise? (I originally dismissed buying this, but...now that it's being reprinted I'm being tempted all over again. If the sound quality is good, I might be able to twist my own arm...)
    No humor please, we're skittish.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.