Thread: A new book on progressive rock

A new book on progressive rock

Written by Mike Barnes, "A New Day Yesterday: UK Progressive Rock and the 1970s" will be published later this year by Omnibus press.

"Music journalist Mike Barnes (MOJO, The Wire, Prog, and author of the acclaimed biography Captain Beefheart) goes back to the birth of progressive rock and surveys the cultural conditions and attitudes that fed into, and were in turn affected by, this remarkable musical phenomenon. He examines the myths and misconceptions that have grown up around progressive rock and paints a vivid, colourful picture of the Seventies based on hundreds of hours of his own interviews with musicians, music business insiders, journalists and DJs, and from the personal testimonies of those who were fans of the music in that extraordinary decade."

I know of this because I have just granted them permission to use a Matching Mole photo.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

I will have to practice reading the King's English before I buy that one.
    It will be good for Christmas gift hints ( my wife appreciates them ).
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Sounds really interesting, I'll keep an eye out for it!

Bill

"Prog book" from an author who has already written one on Beefheart - is MY kind of "prog book". So I'm in.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I've found Barnes to be a very balanced and fair writer on the subject in magazine articles I've read. So that bodes well.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    "Music journalist Mike Barnes (MOJO, The Wire, Prog, and author of the acclaimed biography Captain Beefheart) goes back to the birth of progressive rock and surveys the cultural conditions and attitudes that fed into, and were in turn affected by, this remarkable musical phenomenon. He examines the myths and misconceptions that have grown up around progressive rock and paints a vivid, colourful picture of the Seventies based on hundreds of hours of his own interviews with musicians, music business insiders, journalists and DJs, and from the personal testimonies of those who were fans of the music in that extraordinary decade."
    That's the kind of stuff I'm always interested in reading... Will proceed to buy.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Sounds very promising. Thanks for the heads-up!
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

Hopefully someone will bump this thread when the book comes out.

No chapter on Mandrill, no Rick L.

I seriously wonder how many replies this thread would have received if posted by some "usual" prog-nerd and concerning more recognizably "prog" contents.

Oh, Prog Is So Alive and Arsekicking.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Am reading this at the moment. Not sure about the format tbh, he goes band by band with a potted history of each until the mid or late 70's. It doesn't really catch any sense of the "whole" of the era in a way that would be more interesting. Digressions about attitudes to sex and drugs at the time are more of a self indulgent memoir.

The choice of bands is alright I suppose, a little heads up about some who might have been forgotten today.

A dissatisfactory tome, I think. More interesting reads on the internet.

Anyone else read it?

^ ^ ^ ^ ^

Well, we've got one 'nay' and one 'yay'. Anyone else?
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

I've got it, but haven't read it. It's not really in the queue yet, either, so I imagine it will be a while before I get to it.