Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: The Flower Kings "Waiting For Miracles" - new double album - 8 November 2019

Live date on 2020 tour schedule

GREAT NEWS:

The Flower Kings LIVE in Concert - MONTREAL, QC - April 4th 2020 Plaza Theater

The band returns to Montreal a little more than a year later after their amazing Club Soda show in February 2019 that I attended and will also make it to this one!
    No other dates up on FK website but this one has been posted on the ticket outlet site so IT IS happening.

In regards to Roine's lyrics, I've always enjoyed them for the most part, and I'm a native English speaker. There ARE phrases that I feel like he returns to a bit too often over the years though. I do find his lyrical style endearing though, doesn't bother me for the most part.

Occipital Provocatee Plasmatopia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rajaz View Post
    GREAT NEWS:

The band returns to Montreal a little more than a year later after their amazing Club Soda show in February 2019 that I attended and will also make it to this one!
    No other dates up on FK website but this one has been posted on the ticket outlet site so IT IS happening.
    There's another show the night before in Quebec City.
    Just sitting at home rocking back and forth and jealously caressing my invisible collection of theoretical assets.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    “Crash landing, go go bad”

- from the song “Lost America” (already sounds overused) on Manifesto of an Alchemist.

But I can still enjoy it.

On another note, the title on the cover of the album (Manifesto...) is almost invisible.

Judging by the track lengths, it looks like this is actually a regular-sized album with a 20 minute second disk of extra tracks. This is not different from the last 2 TFK albums (at least in their deluxe editions), so I wonder why this one is promoted as an actual double album.

Inside Out now seems to favor that "one and a half" album format rather than releasing 2 versions, the standard and the deluxe with an extra disc. Other recent examples I can think of are the latest Spock's Beard and The Sea Within albums although those were billed as "single albums with a extra disk of material that didn't quite fit the main album", rather than bona fide double albums.

Some will argue that it's just semantics but I find this confusing. In cases like this, I tend to think the first disk works fine as a standalone album and that the second disk brings little added value except perhaps for dedicated fans. Releasing 2 versions so you could choose whether you wanted the bonus tracks or not seemed like the better option to me, but it seems that Inside Out are dropping this model more often than not these days. Maybe a question of cost?

Here are those track lengths

Disc 1
    01. House Of Cards (01:56)
    02. Black Flag (07:39)
    03. Miracles For America (10:03)
    04. Vertigo (09:59)
    05. The Bridge (05:30)
    06. Ascending To The Stars (05:40)
    07. Wicked Old Symphony (05:47)
    08. The Rebel Circus (05:50)
    09. Sleep With The Enemy (06:02)
    10. The Crowning Of Greed (04:48)

Disc 2
    01. House Of Cards Reprise (01:21)
    02. Spirals (05:06)
    03. Steampunk (06:30)
    04. We Were Always Here (07:35)
    05. Busking At Brobank (00:52)

I'm also not really a fan of this 1 1/2 album format. I didn't think it worked well on The Sea Within or Spock's. The Sea Within was not listed as bonus material if I remember right but I didn't think the song order was thought out well. We will see with this one if these are of 'bonus material' quality or if should be thought of as just a continuation of disc 1. Since it has a Reprise of the main theme at the beginning maybe it is all meant to be listened to as one song cycle and not disc1/disc2 like SWA or UtF.

I also suppose with downloading more and more prevalent, the concept of disc1, disc2 will go the way of side1, side 2

Quote Originally Posted by SRS View Post
    I'm also not really a fan of this 1 1/2 album format. I didn't think it worked well on The Sea Within or Spock's.
    Me neither, that format is just weird: the short second disc doesn't hold together as an entity and seems like an afterthought. The Spock's album didn't really need the extra tracks, and I agree The Sea Within didn't seem well sequenced at all (a rare case where a long album with all the songs in a different order would have done it justice). Both albums would in fact have fit on a single disc, I believe the new TFK goes slightly over the 80-minute mark. In all cases: either own up to the fact that you're releasing an overlong album (as many artists have done in the past, particularly Stolt) or just don't release the excess fat if you're aiming for a more concise release. If you want to please everyone, let the buyers chose between standard and deluxe versions, as has been common practice for years, but you'll always have a debate over which tracks should or shouldn't be on the main album.

The Sea Within was not listed as bonus material if I remember right
    It wasn't, and neither was the Spock's Beard album (although the second disc did have a different subtitle from the main album, emphasizing that it wasn't fully a part of it). My point was that they were promoted in press releases and interviews as a single album with a EP's worth of material that didn't have exactly the same feel as the main disc (true in the case of SB, very debatable in the case of The Sea Within), as opposed to a bona fide double album which is how the new TFK was announced.
    Not just a Genesis fanboy.

Quote Originally Posted by Rajaz View Post
    GREAT NEWS:

Any news on if there is an opening band? I read that Gunfly is opening for them in Europe, and that would be icing on the cake

Here are those track lengths

Disc 1
    01. House Of Cards (01:56)
    02. Black Flag (07:39)
    03. Miracles For America (10:03)
    04. Vertigo (09:59)
    05. The Bridge (05:30)
    06. Ascending To The Stars (05:40)
    07. Wicked Old Symphony (05:47)
    08. The Rebel Circus (05:50)
    09. Sleep With The Enemy (06:02)
    10. The Crowning Of Greed (04:48)

Disc 2
    01. House Of Cards Reprise (01:21)
    02. Spirals (05:06)
    03. Steampunk (06:30)
    04. We Were Always Here (07:35)
    05. Busking At Brobank (00:52)

I'm also not really a fan of this 1 1/2 album format. I didn't think it worked well on The Sea Within or Spock's. The Sea Within was not listed as bonus material if I remember right but I didn't think the song order was thought out well. We will see with this one if these are of 'bonus material' quality or if should be thought of as just a continuation of disc 1. Since it has a Reprise of the main theme at the beginning maybe it is all meant to be listened to as one song cycle and not disc1/disc2 like SWA or UtF.

I also suppose with downloading more and more prevalent, the concept of disc1, disc2 will go the way of side1, side 2

Actually Roine addressed this in an interview, basically saying that the whole album is a song cycle. Or something to that effect, I don't recall his exact words, only that the reason it's one and one half CD's is because that was needed to fit the whole album on as the he and the band created it. So not "bonus" tracks at all, was my takeaway.

Quote Originally Posted by infandous View Post
    Actually Roine addressed this in an interview, basically saying that the whole album is a song cycle. Or something to that effect, I don't recall his exact words, only that the reason it's one and one half CD's is because that was needed to fit the whole album on as the he and the band created it. So not "bonus" tracks at all, was my takeaway.
    Fair enough, I wasn't aware of this information. It still seems weird not to separate both discs at the halfway point. It makes the second disc seem like it's less important because of its EP length. That is, unless it contains music which is absolutely essential to the whole. I've yet to hear one of those 1 1/2 albums where this is actually the case (I forgot to mention the older The Incident by Porcupine Tree which is also in that format, I'm sure there are others).
    Not just a Genesis fanboy.

I’m sure that Swedes, Italians, French and other non-English folks get a good chuckle listening to us trying to manage their languages...whether spoken or, in the case of some English artists who’ve released other-language versions of their songs....

It does cut both ways. Me? I don’t find that it bothers me when foreign folks sing in English, if they understand what it is they are singing. So Flower Kings, Opeth, Beardfish? No problem. PFM’s ‘70s stuff, OTOH, was clumsy because, as I understand it, they were literally singing the lyrics phonetically. Still, while I prefer their Italian albums, I don’t cringe (anymore..back in the day, I was less forgiving)....
    John Kelman
    Senior Contributor, All About Jazz since 2004
    Freelance writer/photographer

Quote Originally Posted by kenschwartz View Post
    Any news on if there is an opening band? I read that Gunfly is opening for them in Europe, and that would be icing on the cake
    It's actually only Rikard, solo without the band

Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post
    Me? I don’t find that it bothers me when foreign folks sing in English, if they understand what it is they are singing. So Flower Kings, Opeth, Beardfish? No problem.
    It's not just a question of artists singing in a language that is not their own. Opeth and Beardfish don't have nearly as many mistakes in their lyrics as Stolt, and I've never had issues with them.

Bummed there's no epic.

But then again, their last epic was their worst one, so maybe it's for the better.

Quote Originally Posted by yesstiles View Post
    Bummed there's no epic.

But then again, their last epic was their worst one, so maybe it's for the better.
    That was my feeling as well. Though Numbers has grown on me somewhat over the years. My previous least favorite was A Love Supreme, which I listened to recently. I still don't care for it, probably tied with Numbers for me as their least enjoyable epics, at the moment.

Personally, I think their last great epic was Love Is The Only Answer. Before that it would have been The Truth and Devil's Playground (I don't really think either epic on A&E is "great", same with Monsters and Men).

Quote Originally Posted by LeFrog View Post
    It's not just a question of artists singing in a language that is not their own. Opeth and Beardfish don't have nearly as many mistakes in their lyrics as Stolt, and I've never had issues with them.
    Not everyone has the same level of mastery over a secondary language. I've noticed quite a few mistakes in Beardfish's lyrics over the years, but I don't have a problem with that either.

Indeed, I approached this album review as the first disc standing alone as the proper album, and the second disc being more of a "bonus". That's not how Roine probably intended it, but the first disc is fantastic and coherent, whereas the second disc doesn't hold that same consistency.

https://www.sonicperspectives.com/al...g-for-miracles

Thanks to this fb pic we can make out most of the writing credits (except for Miracles for America) and the lyrics for those interested

74708928_2847821988589575_4203087848070447104_o.jpg

Disc 1
    01. House Of Cards (Kamins)
    02. Black Flag (Stolt)
    03. Miracles For America
    04. Vertigo (Stolt)
    05. The Bridge (Stolt)
    06. Ascending To The Stars (Kamins)
    07. Wicked Old Symphony (Stolt)
    08. The Rebel Circus (DeMaio/Stolt)
    09. Sleep With The Enemy (Stolt)
    10. The Crowning Of Greed (Stolt)

Disc 2
    01. House Of Cards Reprise (Kamins)
    02. Spirals (Kamins/Stolt/DeMaio/Reingold)
    03. Steampunk (Stolt)
    04. We Were Always Here (Stolt)
    05. Busking At Brobank (Stolt)

^^^ cool, thanks for that! I do hear Stolt all over the writing of 'Miracles', which I really like, but wouldn't be too surprised if it was Stolt/Reingold. But we'll all know soon enough!

"Ascending To The Stars" is absolutely amazing. I knew it had to be a Kamins thing as it sounds nothing like TFK's.

There are actually quite a few places where I found myself saying (to myself): "Damn, this is totally different."

When was the last time a Flower Kings album had the power to surprise?
    Prog's Not Dead

^ 1982?

Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post
    "Ascending To The Stars" is absolutely amazing. I knew it had to be a Kamins thing as it sounds nothing like TFK's.

There are actually quite a few places where I found myself saying (to myself): "Damn, this is totally different."

When was the last time a Flower Kings album had the power to surprise?
    Just out of curiosity, how did you hear that one?

So far, I've enjoyed the three tracks I've heard in advance of this album so I'm definitely looking forward to it. But I really like Roine's style (whether playing or composing), so it's usually a no-brainer for me to check out whatever he does. Very rarely have I been outright disappointed.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    The whole album has leaked to the internets.

Release day and the Stolt family timing is perfect. My signed copy from Sweden arrived today! Lovely digipak, booklet layout and artwork throughout all fantastic. Now to dive into the music

Nice! I'm still awaiting my copy from Burning Shed, but I've been listening to it on Apple Music at work today. First five tracks or so. Quite nice!