Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: The Flower Kings "Waiting For Miracles" - new double album - 8 November 2019

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    Acoustic guitar! Seems we haven't seen so much of that on latter day TFK albums.
    I thought the same thing actually. I like the new track.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    Sounds like the Flower Kings. In fact, to my ear it sounds like an entire FKs album compressed into 7+ minutes. I'm not sure why it seems that way to me but it does - like all the things that they do over an entire album but crammed into one song.
    Mongrel dog soils actor's feet

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    I still think the Live Meet the Flower Kings is one of the best things they've recorded.
    I jus bought a used copy of the 2 CD set. I've been watching the DVD on YT and digging it.

I haven't listened to the new song yet - waiting for the full album

This interview with Hasse will be interesting to fans:

http://www.societyforritualarts.com/...e-flower-kings

Talks about the Revisited tour, how the two new guys have fit in, some info on the new album, can glean that Zach is involved in the writing to at least some degree.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    Fantastic track. I'm very excited about the new album.

Jon Neudorf
    I love the build. Awesome!

I'm still holding off listening to any of these songs until the whole album is in my hands. But I do love to read interviews about the album...

This new one with Roine is a must read. Really great interview, tons of stuff on TFK, Transatlantic, Anderson/Stolt, etc. etc. check it out:

https://www.sonicperspectives.com/fe...e-rider-stolt/

Got my order in from Ken and am going to hold off listening to online clips also.

Went back and listened to Desolation Rose and liked it fine, including the extra disc.

I know people say all their music sounds the same but for me it's the consistency of the recording quality and the sound of the instruments that is "samey" and for me that's a good thing.

There are trademark things that they do yet there is variation among the albums and some albums are lacking certain trademarks. Like Desolation Rose doesn't have 20-minute epics or instrumentals or saxophone or psychedelia or wacky percussion sounds. It's more song-focused but still has trademark instrumental bits and for me the tunes all have good hooks and melodies. Then the bonus disc has a few of the moody ambient instrumentals and short pop songs like Runaway Train in 7/4.

So I do find a lot of variety among the TFK albums but if you drop the needle down in the middle of any tune, you still instantly know its TFK... and as I readily admit, I sometimes don't know which song it is if it's an instrumental part!
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I listened to Desolation Rose recently. It's one I hadn't listened to much, but it sounded very good, and the bonus track were surprisingly good. Not sure why they didn't make that a 2-disk album. Maybe just too many shorter ongs.

Laser's Edge still has the new one listed as a preorder. I wonder how yours came so soon? Isn't the release date in November?

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I listened to Desolation Rose recently. It's one I hadn't listened to much, but it sounded very good, and the bonus track were surprisingly good. Not sure why they didn't make that a 2-disk album. Maybe just too many shorter ongs.

Laser's Edge still has the new one listed as a preorder. I wonder how yours came so soon? Isn't the release date in November?

I think he meant he had put in his order with Ken. Not that he had received the order. Mine certainly hasn't arrived or even shipped yet (also ordered from Ken).

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by infandous View Post
    I think he meant he had put in his order with Ken. Not that he had received the order. Mine certainly hasn't arrived or even shipped yet (also ordered from Ken).

Quote Originally Posted by SRS View Post
    I'm still holding off listening to any of these songs until the whole album is in my hands. But I do love to read interviews about the album...

This new one with Roine is a must read. Really great interview, tons of stuff on TFK, Transatlantic, Anderson/Stolt, etc. etc. check it out:

https://www.sonicperspectives.com/fe...e-rider-stolt/
    Good interview! Sounds like Anderson/Stolt isn't coming out anytime soon though, which is a bit of a bummer. Though I guess a new TFK album and a new TA album will make up for that a bit! At least it's still in the works.

I'd also love to know more about the "falling out" Roine and Tomas seem to have had, or if it was really down to Tomas' hearing issues (Tomas did initially seem upset that he wasn't at least asked to join the Flower King Revisited tour which eventually became the current Flower Kings). I think we may never know.

Quote Originally Posted by infandous View Post
    I'd also love to know more about the "falling out" Roine and Tomas seem to have had, or if it was really down to Tomas' hearing issues (Tomas did initially seem upset that he wasn't at least asked to join the Flower King Revisited tour which eventually became the current Flower Kings). I think we may never know.
    It is disappointing especially if it was due to a personality issue. As I've said many times, Bodin's contributions to the overall sound of the band are the spark that's missing when it's just Stolt.
    Mongrel dog soils actor's feet

Quote Originally Posted by Splicer View Post
    It is disappointing especially if it was due to a personality issue. As I've said many times, Bodin's contributions to the overall sound of the band are the spark that's missing when it's just Stolt.
    I'm as big a fan of Bodin as anybody here, but I'm also a big fan of Zach Kamins. Tomas' writing contributions and seemingly his interest in TFK had dwindled on the last few albums. With Zach and MirkKo it seems like the band is in a very good place and as Roine says the 'vibe' is right. In the interview Roine even mentions they want to hopefully record another album next year! So it sounds like the spark that was missing is now back.

so another song that I'm not going to listen to yet was released on youtube -- I know most bands seem to do this now but I'm not sure it is necessary to release songs early. Especially for an album band like TFK

Well, another track to confirm that the cheesy high-pitched twiddly synths haven't disappeared with Tomas at all. Guess I'll pass on the album. Yet this sounds like vintage TFK so I'm sure many will enjoy it.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Sounds decent to me.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by SRS View Post
    since we don't have song running times I was going to suggest a game where we try to guess which one(s) is the epic?
    There is no 'epic', really. Two pieces are 10 minutes each, most run in the 5-7 minute range. I'll have my review up for this album soon...
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I really like the new songs. Looking forward to this. Can't keep up with Roine, as usual. I haven't even gotten Desolation Rose! The keys sound great. Right up front and crunchy. Bodin's keys always seemed to sound like they were in the background.

And Transatlantic! I'm really surprised by this. I just assumed everyone was over it after Kscope. Relistening to that album is okay. Not sure how Morse does it. He and Stolt are so prolific it's astounding. Of course, Morse's lyrics are fairly trite. Roine stays creative in that realm though.

Quote Originally Posted by zumacraig View Post
    Roine stays creative in that realm though.
    Seriously? I always found his lyrics rather appalling. Full of English mistakes and mostly using metaphors and catchphrases lifted from other songs.

Quote Originally Posted by LeFrog View Post
    Seriously? I always found his lyrics rather appalling. Full of English mistakes and mostly using metaphors and catchphrases lifted from other songs.
    As a native English speaker, I could not care less about English mistakes made by someone for whom it’s a secondary language. I’m curious: How does he “mostly” lift metaphors and catchphrases from others? Any examples?

Sounds like hyperbole to me. It’s fine if you don’t like him.

My review is up, for anyone interested!

https://www.velvetthunder.co.uk/the-...ide-out-music/
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Thanks for the review. 6 instrumental tracks. I like the sound of that!

I've got white knuckles from resisting listening to advance tracks before the album arrives!!
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    As a native English speaker, I could not care less about English mistakes made by someone for whom it’s a secondary language. I’m curious: How does he “mostly” lift metaphors and catchphrases from others? Any examples?

Sounds like hyperbole to me. It’s fine if you don’t like him.
    Stolt's lyrics are visual and psychedelic and very rarely cliche. Universal love etc. He does pronounce things weird sometimes. Morse has gone a long way on rhyming 'okay' with 'day'. And of course he never actually sings about what happens after you find Jesus.