Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: The Flower Kings "Waiting For Miracles" - new double album - 8 November 2019

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    What’s on the 2CDs that come in the 2LP/2CD set?

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    The album......or is this a trick question?

Probably a plastic sleeve.
    <sig out of order>

Do you mean since the length of cd is much longer (and FK albums always are) is there material that won't fit on the LP? Which is a good question. There's no way their earlier 2-fers could fit on 2 lps.

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    It's '94. I get my M&M catalog in the mail. Handwritten is a recommendation to check out Roine Stolt's album "The Flower King." Ordered. Loved. So began a 25 year love affair with Roine et als .

Did I say autobuy?

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    The album......or is this a trick question?
    Does it also come with a download code so that the package includes three formats? ,)

I like that he said they want to essentially call back to the 90s. I have my doubts, but this album is anything like their 90s work, it could be a gem. I have been a TFK and Roine fan since 1996, but he will have to convince me.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    Do you mean since the length of cd is much longer (and FK albums always are) is there material that won't fit on the LP? Which is a good question. There's no way their earlier 2-fers could fit on 2 lps.
    It might also be that both discs will be of more "standard" length this time, and fit on one LP each. Their last 2 albums were shorter than before.

Hoping for a return to form then, I'll need to hear it first though.

Seems like we've heard this "return to form" talk before. That always seems to be a recipe for disappointment, particularly when there are lots of different ideas of what return to form means. I plan to buy the album regardless and do my best to take it for whatever it is and hope it resonates. Having seen this lineup in a live setting I'm positive they're fully capable of delivering some good music. It all comes down to whether the songs are there or not and to be honest I didn't think Roine's recent solo album was that strong in the songwriting department.

I get the "cheese" commentary concerning Hasse, but when he's right for the song/part he's right for it. Seeing him sing "What If God Is Alone" in Quebec last February was chill-inducing and reminded me why I love these guys (even if I no longer love everything they do). Roine said once years ago that Hasse is the least replaceable member of the band, although that may be more to do with what he brings to the live situation.
    <sig out of order>

^^^ 100% in agreement, Guy.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    Hoping for a return to form then, I'll need to hear it first though.
    That's usually how it works with music.

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    Seems like we've heard this "return to form" talk before. That always seems to be a recipe for disappointment, particularly when there are lots of different ideas of what return to form means. I plan to buy the album regardless and do my best to take it for whatever it is and hope it resonates. Having seen this lineup in a live setting I'm positive they're fully capable of delivering some good music. It all comes down to whether the songs are there or not and to be honest I didn't think Roine's recent solo album was that strong in the songwriting department.

I get the "cheese" commentary concerning Hasse, but when he's right for the song/part he's right for it. Seeing him sing "What If God Is Alone" in Quebec last February was chill-inducing and reminded me why I love these guys (even if I no longer love everything they do). Roine said once years ago that Hasse is the least replaceable member of the band, although that may be more to do with what he brings to the live situation.

Well, I did put a "wink" next to my comment. I do think his vocals are the only really "cheesy" part about some of their material, but I also think he's a great singer and is indeed a perfect fit on a lot of tunes, particularly "What if God Is Alone?".

I can see why he'd be irreplaceable from a live standpoint, but also in the studio. After all, there is only one FK album he wasn't on (Back in the World) and he's on the original TFK solo album. So aside from Roine, he's actually the longest serving member of the band, even if he wasn't an "official" member until Startdust.

I also agree with what you say about the album. Based on Roine's solo album, I'm not getting my hopes up too much. Still, there's no question I'm buying it regardless, and I will do my best to listen with an open mind and not have too many expectations.

Quote Originally Posted by tonissive View Post
    The cover with the elephant is very similar to the Isildurs Bane & Steve Hogarth - Colours Not Found In Nature album.
    There is only one elephant in Sweden.

Agree - instead of talk about going back to the 90's I'd rather hear that this is a new beginning. Especially with Zach joining the band. I'm expecting there to be a change in sound. Like Yes with Relayer and Drama, a new keyboardist came in and while it was still certainly Yes the new players left their mark (for the better in both cases). Anyone who has heard Zach's band An Endless Sporadic and the album Magic Machine should be very excited about the possibilities.

Regarding Manifesto - I really like 6 out of the 10 songs. There were some weak moments (Ze Pawns, The Spell of Money) - for me these songs were a little repetitive and did not hold up to repeated listening. Lyrically they were somewhat lazy. It is not that I disagree with Roine's sentiments but compare and contrast the opening lyrics for these two similar themed songs:

"The Spell of Money" from Manifesto of an Alchemist :

Getting money
    Bloody money - get the money from get go
    Rotten money
    Bloody branches - grab your gold and lose your soul

Molten money
    Lose it - grab it - darkness falling down a hole
    Filthy money
    Filthy habits - and all the lives that it control...

Dirty money
    If you want it - there's so much that you can do
    That stinking money
    If you can stand it - good enough - to knock your soul
    "Slave to Money" from Space Revolver :

I know it open doors, carry the weight, so many values still left to define
    Once on the factory floor, invisible ball and chain will keep you to the grind
    Do you believe in words like "equal rights"
    The right to live a more than decent life
    What if it's true, "the winner takes it all", you get what's left, you get no less no more.

In the beginning man learnt all the tricks of trade
    The race has just begun, melted the golden beast
    To marks and pennies, earning them empires in the sun
    Do you believe the keyword is possess and once you're in there is no turning back
    What if it's true – it spreads like a disease- from the royal mansion to the ghetto shack...

I am the bank of time! Display some fallen empires, cracks along the line
    I've seen the greatest fall! I'd say the western world will need a new design...!
    Slave to Money has much more nuance. Thought provoking, sensitive and clever. Spell of Money comes across as a rant.
    Last edited by SRS; 08-22-2019 at 01:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick L. View Post
    There is only one elephant in Sweden.

Quote Originally Posted by SRS View Post
    Super excited about this and very very interested to see what Zach brings to the Flower Kings sound.
    He was already on "ROINE STOLT’S THE FLOWER KING" album Manifesto of an Alchemist and also on the tour following the album, supporting Spock's Beard in a few shows. I hope he get the chance to be more influential in the upcoming album.
    My Progressive Workshop at http://soundcloud.com/hfxx

There were a few tracks I didn't really take to, but overall, I liked Manifesto of an Alchemist quite well. The songs "High Road" and "Rio Grande" are great.

A lot of talk about the possible new keyboard sounds but what about the drums? I actually really enjoyed Felix's work on Desolation Rose and was sad to see him replaced as well.

But in any event I am thrilled to get any new material from TFK!

Quote Originally Posted by progfan915 View Post
    A lot of talk about the possible new keyboard sounds but what about the drums? I actually really enjoyed Felix's work on Desolation Rose and was sad to see him replaced as well.

But in any event I am thrilled to get any new material from TFK!
    Felix was great, but he hasn't been a TFK fixture the way Tomas Bodin was.

Agreed! I just wish he was given more of a chance, that is all.

Quote Originally Posted by progfan915 View Post
    Agreed! I just wish he was given more of a chance, that is all.
    I would have liked to have him around longer too. I really liked his work on Desolation Rose and Banks of Eden.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    There were a few tracks I didn't really take to, but overall, I liked Manifesto of an Alchemist quite well. The songs "High Road" and "Rio Grande" are great.
    Yes those are great ones! "Six Thirty Wake-up" too

I would have liked to have him around longer too. I really liked his work on Desolation Rose and Banks of Eden.
    Felix was great in TFK - Maybe he wasn't able to make the time commitment to the band or didn't want to - he does a lot of live shows in Germany for fairly popular acts so maybe it is just a practical decision for him. Don't know though. I guess getting Jaime or Zoltan back was out of the question. I actually think Erik Hammarström would have been a great choice as well, he was in the band briefly already for a tour but never got to record an album. His new solo album Glödhet Rytmisk Svärta is fantastic. Arguably he was the only TFK drummer that actually liked prog music as a genre (not including Mastelotto). Although I think Mirkko does as well and from the live clips I've seen he seems like a good choice.

Ditto, but I have to say I also really liked Mirko's playing on the tour and I'm excited to hear what he brings to the album. Apparently we shouldn't get attached to any one particular TFK drummer, lol.
    <sig out of order>