Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011

Thread: The Flower Kings "Waiting For Miracles" - new double album - 8 November 2019

Quote Originally Posted by infandous View Post
    Alchemist was pretty much a disappointment to me, though I do love High Road and Rio Grande.
    Waiting for Miracles has much more of a completed TFK album sound than Alchemist did. I don't know if the latter was hurried or simply a bunch of jams with lyrics but it just didn't click with me. WfM certainly has a lot of the Flower Kings moments of big themes and soaring guitar excursions. I wish it was heavier on Roine's singing than Hasse's but it's fine. I've listened a few more times in its entirety and a few more of the melodies are staying with me.
    No matter what anyone says, you are the decider of how you will listen to music.

WfM finally came up in my listening queue. I found it superb from start to finish. It's loaded with fresh ideas, not just a rehashing of the FK back catalog, like Desolation Rose and Banks of Eden seemed to be.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    One of me favorite pieces on that album is A Vampire's View....sort of campy but it has a nice vibe. I dig the "warbly" mellotron sounds. Is that Daniel on lead vox? That guy can fuckin sing.
    I love that song too Frank. It's my favorite on that album, which I still consider my least favorite of all their albums. Mainly because I find both the epics rather unsatisfying. As mentioned by others, the beginning of Driver's Seat is great, but then the song just kind of falls apart after that, IMO.

Listened a few times. Love it. I prefer the more 'in-studio' production as opposed to the big sound of Desolation Rose. I just thought that music was a dark, bombastic mess. It's weird how music hits us. This one is just pushing all the right buttons for me. Feels like the follow-up to Banks. I love the new keyboardist. Tomas always sounded kind of flat and much lower in the mix. The new keys def have those classic synth sounds that really sound great. Def a Yes vibe from this whole thing.

RE: Adam and Eve; yes, Driver's Seat does devolve pretty quickly. I think that whole album would benefit from a major edit. Shortening the epics would help. Love Supreme is so repetitive which is kind of weird given the band usually goes from one section to another without repeat.

Can't wait to hear it. Your reviews make me hopeful. I have the 2-LP/2-CD on the way from JPC for only $24. I do love Adam & Eve though. The epics are wonderful. I made a cdr editing out "Vampires View" and the title track though because they are just terrible songs imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerhard View Post
    84 min is a fine length for a double vinyl LP. CD2 fits nicely on side 4 of the vinyl. Mine should arrive soon.
    Translated into old vinyl total minutes per side, it comes to 21 minutes.
    Yes, that seems fine and will certainly fit on a 2 LP edition, as long as the song lengths allow it.

Anxiously waiting for my copy still delayed by Christmas high volume mail even having Amazon "prime" like I do!
    Last edited by Rajaz; 1 Day Ago at 10:32 AM. Reason: composition

Quote Originally Posted by zumacraig View Post
    Listened a few times. Love it. I prefer the more 'in-studio' production as opposed to the big sound of Desolation Rose. I just thought that music was a dark, bombastic mess. It's weird how music hits us. This one is just pushing all the right buttons for me. Feels like the follow-up to Banks. I love the new keyboardist. Tomas always sounded kind of flat and much lower in the mix. The new keys def have those classic synth sounds that really sound great. Def a Yes vibe from this whole thing.

RE: Adam and Eve; yes, Driver's Seat does devolve pretty quickly. I think that whole album would benefit from a major edit. Shortening the epics would help. Love Supreme is so repetitive which is kind of weird given the band usually goes from one section to another without repeat.
    It's interesting how divergent tastes can be. I loved Desolation Rose, and actually prefer it to Banks of Eden. It was darker and heavier, but also had moments of pure beauty (like The Resurrected Judas).

The new album is growing on me, but it hasn't exactly smacked me upside the head -- yet. Not sure why. I've taken a little bit of a break from it, and will return to see how it sounds after some time.

Glad to hear you're enjoying it!

Quote Originally Posted by yesstiles View Post
    Can't wait to hear it. Your reviews make me hopeful. I have the 2-LP/2-CD on the way from JPC for only $24. I do love Adam & Eve though. The epics are wonderful. I made a cdr editing out "Vampires View" and the title track though because they are just terrible songs imo.
    And that song about hating a baby or whatever it's about.
    No matter what anyone says, you are the decider of how you will listen to music.