Thread: RIP Larry "the mole" Taylor.....Canned Heat

RIP Larry "the mole" Taylor.....Canned Heat

Samuel Lawrence Taylor (June 26, 1942 – August 19, 2019) was an American bass guitarist, best known for his work as a member of Canned Heat from 1967. Before joining Canned Heat he had been a session bassist for The Monkees and Jerry Lee Lewis.[1] He was the younger brother of Mel Taylor, long-time drummer for The Ventures.

Ironic that he passes one day after the 50th of Woodstock. I first knew of him from the Canned Heat performance in the Woodstock Movie....go to Wikipedia.....an impressive career

I'm hoping someone here can enlighten us on the origin of the nickname "The Mole".
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

Yet another sad loss. Fine bass player.

He also played on several Tom Waits albums.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

RIP, Larry

Was he still in Canned Heat recently? He'd rejoined the band a few times, but it's been 20 years since I last saw them.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Canned Heat was the first rock band I saw in concert, shortly after Woodstock. Larry was dynamic. I think the "Mole" nickname was because he provided the bottom to the band. He was underneath as a mole would be. At least that's how I take how he's introduced by Bob Hite in the song "Fried Hockey Blues."
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

RIP - great bass player!

RIP. I never paid any attention to Canned Heat until last weekend's Woodstock broadcast and I thought their set was really good. Just yesterday I Googled them and I was surprised to read that they have existed in some form consistently for the last 50 years with as many as 3 Woodstock-era members and usually with Taylor. It sounds like they lived the rock and roll lifestyle until the end...

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Everyone in early Canned Heat had a nickname. Bob "The Bear" Hite, Alan "Blind Owl" Wilson, Henry "The Sunflower" Vestine, Larry "The Mole" Taylor, and Adolfo "Fito" de la Parra. Offthe top of my head:

The Bear - Bob's size
    The Blind Owl - Alan's thick glasses
    The Mole - the bottom, as mentioned above
    Fito - Aldolfito is the diminutive of Aldolfo
    The Sunflower - if I ever knew the origin of this nicknname, I forgot

I believe Larry played bass in some of John Mayall's bands, IIRC. Rest in peace, Larry.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

So that apparently leaves only Adolfo de la Parra and Harvey Mandel from the classic 68-70 era lineups. Frank Cook (Fito's predecessor) is the only band member left who played on the first album.
    Last edited by GuitarGeek; 08-21-2019 at 11:54 AM.

RIP MR Taylor.....

He played on some of my favorite albums by anybody ever - Tom Waits discography from roughly 1980 - 2011.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    The Mole - the bottom, as mentioned above
    Fito - Aldolfito is the diminutive of Aldolfo
    For decades, I think Fito was the only historical member in the band, though he was not an original member, but having seen the Woodstock film a few hours ago, Taylor was really headbanging on stage, standing really close to The Bear.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    For decades, I think Fito was the only historical member in the band, though he was not an original member,
    Bear passed away in 1981 (and Alan Wilson passed away a decade before that), I believe, and since then, it's basically been a rotating cast of various musicians, which at times has included Harvey Mandel, Larry Taylor, and/or Henry Vestine, but it's frequently also included none of them. I gather Vestine and Taylor didn't get along too well, so apparently, after 1968, the two of them were never in the band at the same time.