Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Godley & Creme "Consequences"

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    me! me! Pick me!!
    You're clean?
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

And I find Laurie's "United States" to be pretty consistently fascinating. Go figure.

[QUOTE=noisynoise;922268] It is finally getting a CD rerelease on August 30:

https://burningshed.com/godley-and-c..._category=true

mmm
    I have it on cd for many years

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post
    The Heaven's Gate of pop music: a fascinating mess, but not as much of a failure as rumor would hold.
    Umm... you mean the part where everyone wound up dead?

Ok.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    And I find Laurie's "United States" to be pretty consistently fascinating. Go figure.
    Big Science (which is essentially edited highlights from United States) is a five-star album for sure, but I’ve only heard the entirety of United States all the way through (listened to a friend’s copy when house/dog sitting for him while he was out of town) one time.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    Big Science (which is essentially edited highlights from United States) is a five-star album for sure, but I’ve only heard the entirety of United States all the way through (listened to a friend’s copy when house/dog sitting for him while he was out of town) one time.
    I still have a two-tape, two and a half hours long version I made from the local library CD decades ago. It served me well for years. In addition to the Big Science material, there were also pieces that appeared on her later albums in different guises, like the faster (and Gabriel-less) version ”La langue d'amor”. Some of those different readings are interesting. I heard ”O Superman” first on this and its ending sounds so wonderfully gothic in the hall ambience that I was a bit disappointed with the more sterile (for effect, I think) studio version. I also liked some of the linking musical cues (”Rising Sun”) and spoken numbers (well, I had to include ”Finnish Farmers”, right?).

Having said that, I agree that as a whole it is indeed fascinating but I still think that there is quite a lot of stuff that doesn't seem to work when reduced to the record format. And I've never tried listening to the whole thing on one sitting.

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    Umm... you mean the part where everyone wound up dead?

Ok.
    Yeah, Michael Cimino had one hell of a wrap-up party for that film!

Actually, my first thought was the other Heaven's Gate, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Kai View Post
    Yeah, Michael Cimino had one hell of a wrap-up party for that film!

Actually, my first thought was the other Heaven's Gate, too.
    There's a film called Heaven's Gate? (Google search...) hmm, doesn't ring a bell. Of course I had to add the word 'movie' to the search because the first 50 or so hits for a Heaven's Gate search was about the cult.

There's a film called Heaven's Gate? (Google search...) hmm, doesn't ring a bell. Of course I had to add the word 'movie' to the search because the first 50 or so hits for a Heaven's Gate search was about the cult.
    I think the film's reputation has improved with age, but at the time its failure was a major earth-shaker in the film industry.

Michael Cimino’s Heaven’s Gate is a great movie. Very ambitious (maybe too much) and quite depressing, showing the dark side of the American dream. You have to watch the director’s cut to truly appreciate it. But be prepared it’s a (very) long movie !

I didn't even think of the cult when I originally posted - only the movie.

Back on topic: I gave Consequences a a few listens years ago. Maybe I should revisit it, but I remember finding it very tedious. Another one of those "evolved" pieces of music I have no use for.

Back on topic: I gave Consequences a a few listens years ago. Maybe I should revisit it, but I remember finding it very tedious. Another one of those "evolved" pieces of music I have no use for.
    It has its moments, but my mind starts wandering around Side 3. Usually I like Peter Cook, but whatever he’s doing here is not working. The story and characters (did he come up with them, or are G&C to blame here?) are just not compelling in any way.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

I love it, and have loved it since it came out in 1977 and was (amazingly) heavily featured on local radio, with promotional interviews from G&C and everything. I think the only way to take it is as a whole movie for the mind, maybe only listen to it once every couple of years. It's pretty amazing when you're stoned too ! Sonically there is some amazingly sophisticated recording experiments....the `Fire' section gives me chills, and The Flood is pretty amazing too....the `drowning' section at the end pretty frightening. I love the dialogue by Peter Cook, it's a real one man tour de force although some of the humour may be too `English' for some tastes I suppose. I love Walter's little nonsensical aphorisms, they make me chuckle to think of them..."you can't teach ducks to dance" ! I THINK he came up with the characters, but they obviously fit together as a microcosm (four conflicting forces) of what's happening outside with the elements spiralling out of control.

Quote Originally Posted by Beebfader View Post
    It's pretty amazing when you're stoned too !
    You may have hit on something here.

listening to this for the first time now and I only have one thought: lol
    Critter Jams "album of the week" blog: http://critterjams.wordpress.com

...and kevin

I've been enjoying the Consequences podcast which is up to 24 episodes!!! Don't worry, most of the episodes are about 10cc and related projects, but they do spend the first seven episodes dissecting the album.

The latest episode is an interview with Kevin Godley about his recollections and thoughts on Consequences, I found it fascinating.

https://consequences.podbean.com/
    -noisynoise
    www.polarizedguru.com - 5-piece jazz fusion group
    www.incandescentsky.com - inventive improvisational instrumental ensemble

Wanted to bump this one.

Picked up a copy and it's....diverse.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    It's wonderful, and not all that hard to absorb because the full set is really three separate stage shows. Big Science has most of the songs, but the monologues and long instrumentals are really just as enjoyable. And there are jokes, which you don't really hear on Big Science.

I had the book version of United States out of the library once. It's a good guide to the piece. (In fact I find some of her lyrics funnier in print than set to music.)

The 2019 mini box set release on CD has, in addition to the three original discs, the Music From Consequences disc is just the songs and a couple of the sound design pieces. But I like Edited Highlights disc which mixes the songs, some of the sound design and some of the dialog, I think it hangs together well but doesn't lose the quirkiness of the full-length program.
    -noisynoise
    www.polarizedguru.com - 5-piece jazz fusion group
    www.incandescentsky.com - inventive improvisational instrumental ensemble

Quote Originally Posted by EdWiser View Post
    That was pretty great. Thank you. They were my big heroes 44 years ago or so!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by mkeneally View Post
    “Do you make a habit of spying on your wife when she’s most vulnerababable?”
    "Sorry I'm late, l was delayed by 'eadwinds on the M4. Thank God for the Rolls, that's what l say. Some of the cheaper cars were going backwards".