Thread: 63 Up

63 Up

Anyone here familiar with the 7 Up and subsequent documentaries?

This was a documentary series started in 1964 by director Michael Apted?

The concept was that he would film a group of children in the UK aged 7, from varying backgrounds and different parts of the UK. Some from wealthy homes, some poor, some middle class, some from the North, some from the South etc. He basically interviewed them on various subjects, and questioned them on what they wanted to do when they got older.

Then he would revisit them every 7 years and make a fresh documentary. Which he actually did. It's a fascinating experiment, and a compelling watch. I actually watched it from the very first episode.

The changes that the group go through are fascinating...sometimes sad, sometimes heartbreaking, sometimes tragic. But there are also surprises in the different turns some of the groups lives take.

I just recieved the latest episode on blu ray...63 Up. Hard to believe the series is still going and the participants are still here (apart, sadly, for one). And more importantly that they are still willing to share their experiences and participate.

One of the most fascinating social TV experiments ever, and an incredible achievement. I highly recommend watching these if you get the chance. They are utterly fascinating.
    I only clicked on it because I thought it was going to be something more interesting...

Seen them all and was very happy to see 63 UP appear earlier in the year. Although all but one of the participants are still alive, Charles only appeared in the first 3 programmes and Suzy refused to appear in the latest.

Tony is the one that amazed me, as from an early age you could see him being a real handful and possibly go off the rails. However in each instalment you see him mature a turn into a really nice guy.

Good wikipedia page here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Up_(film_series)

I didn't realise it was time for another catchup with this group - how time flies. I agree this is some of the most compelling TV ever made. The turns people's lives take are fascinating - and the control or lack of control, people have over their destiny, makes this truly engrossing viewing. The previous catchup - 56 Up - saw some of the participants beginning to push back on the way they had been portrayed - they felt they had been shown to be a bit one-dimensional and that their lives had been reduced to almost self-fulfilling prophecies for the sake of the 'project'. It will be interesting to see how the past 7 years have affected the participants.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I last saw this documentary at 28 Up. Fascinating that it's still running. Where do I find it?
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Mail View Post
    Anyone here familiar with the 7 Up and subsequent documentaries?

This was a documentary series started in 1964 by director Michael Apted?

The concept was that he would film a group of children in the UK aged 7, from varying backgrounds and different parts of the UK. Some from wealthy homes, some poor, some middle class, some from the North, some from the South etc. He basically interviewed them on various subjects, and questioned them on what they wanted to do when they got older.

Then he would revisit them every 7 years and make a fresh documentary. Which he actually did. It's a fascinating experiment, and a compelling watch. I actually watched it from the very first episode.

The changes that the group go through are fascinating...sometimes sad, sometimes heartbreaking, sometimes tragic. But there are also surprises in the different turns some of the groups lives take.

I just recieved the latest episode on blu ray...63 Up. Hard to believe the series is still going and the participants are still here (apart, sadly, for one). And more importantly that they are still willing to share their experiences and participate.

One of the most fascinating social TV experiments ever, and an incredible achievement. I highly recommend watching these if you get the chance. They are utterly fascinating.
    I love this. Discovered it almost 10 years ago and binge watched them all. I knew the new one came out and I'm waiting to catch it on DVD again. It's very fascinating to me. It's not without it's flaws of course and maybe it has evolved somewhat from it's original intent but this is pretty much my definition of what reality TV looks like.