Thread: Buffy S6E7: Once More With Feeling (the musical episode)

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)

Buffy S6E7: Once More With Feeling (the musical episode)

Continuing my fifteen-year late to the party foray into Buffydom, just watched "Once More With Feeling", the musical episode from Season 6. Tara's beautiful symphonic ballad "Under Your Spell"" reminded me that Joss is a prog fan (his production company is called "Mutant Enemy") and that he also did a great job with Dr. Horrible a few years back. I'm tempted to buy the soundtrack LP! Fans of this episode and Joss' composing?

One of the great episodes of television, bar none, of all time. In Buffy, only The Body is better. But for prog fans, Anya singing Bunnies is much funnier and more prog than Tara's beautiful song- which was really sung by Amber Benson.

And then the innuendo of Under Your Spell is pretty funny...

I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

But wait! David Fury got the mustard out!

And Marti Noxon is not wearing underwear (listen carefully to the end)...

I could go on. Major Buffy fanatic here. Got something like 50 books or so on the show...I have the soundtrack. It is well worth buying. It adds additional instrumental incidental music. All very good!

Quote Originally Posted by Dana5140 View Post
    One of the great episodes of television, bar none, of all time. In Buffy, only The Body is better.
    I had posted last year about how that episode (Buffy's mom is dead) kicked my ass.

The Body is the single greatest hour of TV ever broadcast. It is a devastating episode.

I have it. Worth having.

One thing I have learned about being "late to the party" is how difficult it is to avoid "spoilers" when reading about the series, or even a particular episode. So I now know (despite not wanting to know) that (spoilers ahead!) Tara dies, that Willow "goes dark" and that Xander morphs into a demon. Oh well. My bad for being tardy to the party, I will still enjoy the rest of S6 and S7. I also found a used copy Buffy Omnibus Vol. 4, my first foray into the Dark Horse comics.

The issue with Tara still seriously pisses me off today, 17 years after it happened on TV. What a total screw up by Whedon, who is nowhere near the feminist he is proclaimed to be- just ask his former wife Kai. He just played into the "kill your gays" and evil-dead lesbian cliches and tropes.

http://www.whedonstudies.tv/uploads/...8593/wilts.pdf