Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Altrock, the label

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    I've been carrying around this particular bit of poison for over a dozen years. Maybe it is time to let some light and air in.

[...]

Like I said, I knew it was all over when that happened. It just took a while for me to realize I couldn't fight those forces and those trends and that mindset.
    Holy cow, Steve... That's terrible. I'm sorry.

Thank you for sharing that story. It's certainly enlightening; indicative of the larger problem, sadly.

Orange Tick Squasher Buddhabreath's Avatar
    What a depressing thread. Who knows what will happen in the future, there have been dark ages and awakenings before, but it is truly dire on the music selling side for all but the chosen few and the corporate shills just now.

On the bright side, the online community has had the effect of increasing communication and disseminating information which has contributed to a renaissance of guitar playing IMO: there are now so many fantastic players pushing the envelope more than ever before and great teachers like the oft-mentioned Rick Beato out there that are raising the bar.

That RIO story of your's Steve is truly harrowing: "Hi Steve, here's how I'm helping to destroy your beloved business and life's passion, aren't I great?". Un-fucking-believable!.
    The combined fortunes of the world's 26 richest individuals reached $1.4 trillion last year — the same amount as the total wealth of the 3.8 billion poorest people.

Quote Originally Posted by Buddhabreath View Post
    That RIO story of your's Steve is truly harrowing: "Hi Steve, here's how I'm helping to destroy your beloved business and life's passion, aren't I great?". Un-fucking-believable!.
    Nah, man! He was spreading the word. Obviously doing a much better job of it than I was. If I'd been doing it right, he wouldn't have needed to do the work he felt he had to do....
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"You run a great label, but sometimes you go out of your way to be a jerk." - Jed Levin

"The older I get, the more I realize that cynicism is just realism spelled wrong."

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Orange Tick Squasher Buddhabreath's Avatar
    ^^^ well I'm glad yer keeping yer sense of humor anyway - otherwise the buggers truly win. ;-)
    The combined fortunes of the world's 26 richest individuals reached $1.4 trillion last year — the same amount as the total wealth of the 3.8 billion poorest people.

hey guys,

i've been promoting altrock for years and we (Camembert) were the first french band signed on it. We were 25. Altrock was a dream come true. A collective of artist united by a charismatic and kind hearted duo of guys (Francesco Zago and Marcello Marinone). When it grew up, Altrock organized its own festival. Bands were interacting together (First camembert features F. Zago, Ske features Camembert, ..... so many exchanges). Altrock created a family of people/friends who are still united.

And then Marcello had less time for the label because of life, which is perfectly normal.
    Then the label was sold to maracash.

Suddenly the artists were badly treated (no cds were sent to them, contracts were amateurish, no promotion was made...). The family spirit dissapeared in the cloud of money making. We were at least 5 bands to be f*** by no communication and nothing. Marcello tried to do his best to solve the problem but the label wasn't his label anymore. Our second album Negative Toe wasn't even sent to the french jazz magazines i asked for. I'm so freaking angry with that lack of promotion that i won't shut up on this topic.

For Camembert (and now many more) the consequence is that we will go somewhere else (maybe autoproduction maybe a non-prog label). What we expect from a label now is promotion in order to get GIGS. Gigs are the best way for a band to exist and to get some money for making music.

We reissued Schnörgl Attahk on our own.
    We will make a crowdfunding for a new EP to be released in May 2020.

Autoproduction-Gigs-Crowdfunding are the 3 thing we can do to fill the hole that the end of the golden altrock years left and keep up doing our music.

Anyway, Marcello, thank you from the bottom of the heart for allowing us to exist.
    Hugs.

^ ^ ^ ^

hey Pierre,

That's a REALLY nice tribute. I know it will make Marcello extremely happy if he sees it [and you should make certain that he sees it!]

I'm sure Marcello knows how everyone he worked with [that includes Wayside Music in a different but related capacity] feels about his very good work on behalf of the music for many years, but it doesn't hurt to remind him of it!

I'm just sorry that it wasn't sustainable for him.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

"You run a great label, but sometimes you go out of your way to be a jerk." - Jed Levin

"The older I get, the more I realize that cynicism is just realism spelled wrong."

^ ^ ^ ^

hey Pierre,

That's a REALLY nice tribute. I know it will make Marcello extremely happy if he sees it [and you should make certain that he sees it!]

I'm sure Marcello knows how everyone he worked with [that includes Wayside Music in a different but related capacity] feels about his very good work on behalf of the music for many years, but it doesn't hurt to remind him of it!

I'm just sorry that it wasn't sustainable for him.

Steve, it's just the dream i lived in. No exaggeration. I wish i could reform something like this but much more on the dur-et-doux format.

Still, now, we need some gigs as many other prog bands and labels are not doing that really right now. This is why self production seems not such a bad idea....

I'm sympathetic to Marcello. Often when trying to make things better in this scene, the best case scenario is you survive to do it a bit longer, and the worst case is it all blows up in your face. The people who have been able to sustain things for decades deserve a big hand.

Hi guys, thank you all for the nice words!
    But I'm still alive! :-) My contacts are the same you can keep in touch with me guys whatever you want! :-)
    It's really complicated to explain in a few words why a label/collective like AltrOck was forced to stop the activities. Whatever project you want to build it's necessary to help it to become a business. Without earning money you can't sustain it only with the passion and your work, because if you have a life, family...you can't pay the costs of a life with the passion...:-/
    Not in a specific order but fans, bands, some "not professional" labels got responsibility on this, but in general I think the real problem is that the music business, not only for not-conventional music, is in a big decline.
    The discussion on this matters is too big and probably boring...
    Staying on topic I can say I'll make again some productions sooner or later, because the music still remain in my heart and mind, so I'll keep you updated guys!
    Hugs to all of you and to my uncle Steve! :-D
    Last edited by Marcello; 6 Days Ago at 09:44 AM.

Thanks for all the wonderful music you brought us over the years Marcello!

I just played Chance: Risiko again. What a helluva find this band was.

Maybe my all time favorite Altrock release is The Blue Ship. A band that I probably would never have found if Altrock had not brought it under my attention.

It feels nice to see so much love towards something as meaningful to me as AltrOck was.
    Reading those labelmates names brought back lots of memories.

Sadly I have fewer and fewer time these days/months/years to share thoughts about the music we love.
    This website choose to remind me that, with the following:
    "Your password is 602 days old, and has therefore expired."
    LOL/

I have read all the thread with much interest. The topic is sad and hard to swallow. The world nowadays is crazy fast. Maybe we are going to be in even deeper shit, in the future. But hey, we never liked simple things, did we?

On a brighter side, I have not stopped making music. Baby children take most of my day time these days, but I still have the nights. I have /almost/ finished to score the new SKE (still trying to understand if I need this one last tune or not, but really it's over), Marcello will help me on that as in good old days, so...there you go. Still alive!
    I will post some demos and more infos soon enough.
    This is just to say...that with or without the AltrOck name on it...it will still be AltrOck in our hearts
    Take care
    SKe

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    Thanks for all the wonderful music you brought us over the years Marcello!

I just played Chance: Risiko again. What a helluva find this band was.

Maybe my all time favorite Altrock release is The Blue Ship. A band that I probably would never have found if Altrock had not brought it under my attention.
    Thank you bro!

Quote Originally Posted by Udi Koomran View Post
    Good to hear from you Marcello
    Ciao Udi, my friend!

Uncle Steve hugs you back!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Cheers, Marcello. Thank you for helping some truly wonderful music to find its audience. Good to hear from you.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Hi Marcello, thanks for all the music! Got a bunch of gems from you guys.
    Ian

I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Hi Marcello, thanks for all the music! Got a bunch of gems from you guys.
    absolutely

Take care and let us know when you're planning to climb back on the horse, Marcello
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    absolutely

Take care and let us know when you're planning to climb back on the horse, Marcello
    Yes! He'd like to know when he can check them out of his library.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Yes! He'd like to know when he can check them out of his library.
    Post #7 to see that I own some 20 Altrock albums, Mr Mean Spirit.

Out of curiosity, I checked out how many Altrock releases are on their catalogue and it came up empty, so they've got none there.

and only 9 Moonjune.
    Last edited by Trane; 5 Days Ago at 12:46 PM.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Post #7 to see that I own some 20 Altrock albums, Mr Mean Spirit. :P

Out of curiosity, I checked out how many Altrock releases are on their catalogue and it came up empty.
    Looks like I have around 55.
    Ian

I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Mr Mean Spirit. :P
    It's nice work if you can get it....and I got it!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com