Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: Altrock, the label

^^ I honestly don't know what happened to them. Did a quick peek around online and noticed that they have ties into bands like Polyphonic Spree and Afghan Whigs...so it's possible it was the good ol' "this was fun but we can make better money elsewhere" kind of deal that happens with quite a few bands. Also looks like they ended up on a label that might've been a strange fit for them...usually means awkward or absent marketing. Ken G or Steve F might know a bit more behind the scenes...

Can't disagree though...this is the sort of album that with word of mouth could've/should've been a hit around these parts.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: http://www.ephemeralsun.com

Back to Autumn Chorus.

I remember I was bit underwhelmed when it came out. Somehow the album kept calling me back and over time it grew on me. I actually replayed this only a few weeks ago and really enjoyed it.

Its not the tunes or playing that are meant to impress here but the overall feel/athmosphere. Lovely album. A real shame their singer (and main songwriter) died so prematurely.

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    Ha ha...the Mandrake Project got CRAZY rotation too...
    I had completely forgotten about them and re-listened to a little just now. It certainly is very well done and professional and major league in all respects....except in terms of its value to the marketplace.....!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"You run a great label, but sometimes you go out of your way to be a jerk." - Jed Levin

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    Back to Autumn Chorus.

I remember I was bit underwhelmed when it came out. Somehow the album kept calling me back and over time it grew on me. I actually replayed this only a few weeks ago and really enjoyed it.

Its not the tunes or playing that are meant to impress here but the overall feel/athmosphere. Lovely album. A real shame their singer (and main songwriter) died so prematurely.
    Never worked for when it came out, will go back and check again.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    It [A Miraculous Container by the Mandrake Project, ed.] is certainly is very well done and professional and major league in all respects....except in terms of its value to the marketplace.....!
    That's what I figured. With this level of advanced musicality and production, you either get noticed or you don't - and in the latter case that's it.

But I'm really glad that you sold me that (as well as a few hundred others) back then, as this kind of strangely "postmodernist/movie-like/meta" thing was surely little but an attemptive whiff at stylistic tendencies in the current. I still recall Ken G. (I believe?) comparing it to Brian Storming, a similarly costly 'meta-conceptual' project who also left a truly nice release but couldn't find a market hold (oh, wow) no matter the quality of songwriting and broad arrangements. You sold me that one too, and I tend to pick them out for listening about once a seventh year or so.

Interestingly, this kind of 'meta-meta' stuff was obviously also one of the main notions behind an enterprise like Sau Paulo Underground, who for obvious reasons fared a bit better with "intended audiences".
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

^ ^ ^ ^ ^

I had also forgotten all about Brian Storming. Another good one...

Sao Paulo Underground were a much lower budget operation than either Mandrake or Brian Storming, which made SPU's relative success possible, I think.

Jazz releases almost always are lower budgets and lower expectations...and the musicians tend to go out more and play, even if it's for smaller audiences than rock bands aim for.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"You run a great label, but sometimes you go out of your way to be a jerk." - Jed Levin

^ Yes, SPU were very obviously more successful and probably more technically viable as well with the active integration of sampling strategies and not least the overall stylistic grip of a "clubbing" approach. Easier to bring along for trips and performances.

But I think they were/are as distantly 'meta' in how they relate both directly and yet also implicitly to their source matter. Mazurek, ofr course, is one of those artists with eight simultaneous projects running alongside each other, most times with the odd but impressive appearance of none being more important than others.

For stuff like Mandrake and Storming, however, I suppose it mostly came down to "making it" or not. But then again, when didn't it? Anyway, I'm really glad I got all of this stuff when it lasted.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

Very interesting thoughts. Thank you.

Were Brian Storming and Mandrake live ensembles? Re-listening to both groups again makes me guess probably not. But I don't really know.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    Were Brian Storming and Mandrake live ensembles? Re-listening to both groups again makes me guess probably not.
    Dunno about Brian Storming, I only remember them being from Argentina and having preciously little "latino" about them. But I believe The Mandrake Project were very much an attempt at a multi-conceptual performing unit with carefully adapted film, light, small choir- and string-section, pantomime, dance and basically the whole deal - not that far removed from some of what Decemberists were pulling off around the same time with the Crane Wife concerts etc.

Were Mandrake from Pittsburgh? If so, I'm going to say that they did put on some performances. Can't recall if I ever saw them though.
    He did not know that the sword he'd hold, would turn his priceless empire into fool's gold...

http://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection